Sanos Dental Sealants

a_daerr

Truman is my AKC pup, going on 3-years-old. His teeth all look fine, except his canines, which have a mild degree of tartar at the top. I could probably scale them myself, but he won't hold still that long. We do a water additive in addition to bones, CET treats, Petzlife, etc. It's just those two teeth that show signs of tartar. Frustrating! (although owners of retired racers can rest assured that you're not the only ones struggling with this issue- Truman never raced a day in his life).

Anyway, we may be looking at getting him a dental sometime in the next year since the cost is pretty reasonable. The vet was telling us about Sanos. It's a type of sealant that goes on after the dental is complete. It's supposed to seal in the hard to reach places in order to stave off bacteria and tartar formation. It's also supposed to cut down on the need for repeated dental procedures. Looks pretty legit.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this, and if you had good results? If so, I may pursue this in the future.

Our angel Copper had this done when before he came home with us. I would say it wasn't really worth the cost, as three or four months later we were back to the same old yucky mouth we dealt with for his entire life. Not sure if it would be better on a dog who has better teeth in general.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

just be patient w/ truman. sneak a pick in hear and there w/ your finger nail and praise. if felix got on the program and learned not to balk i'm sure that truman will as well. remember he's still young and a pip. dh hates it but when we travel and felix sticks his head over the seat i scale...when he's leaning on me watching tv- i scale...just a tid-bit at a time and we worked our way up to using a tool and polishing w/ the electric toothbrush. my dental hygienists gives me packages of tooth polish for the dogs! i clean the area after i work on it w/ hydrogen peroxide on a paper towel.

My old vet used to push the Oravet sealant and wax. Sealant was done during the dental. I'm not convinced it really had any long term benefits. The waxy stuff was to be smeared on periodically.

Gracie and Oliver hated it even though they were on the product's brochure:

85c0662c-78aa-485b-8f0a-ace04880036a_zps I'm actually using peanut on the applicator. ;)

Alicia, does Sonos have a similar maintenance product or is it a one-time application?

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My old vet used to push the Oravet sealant and wax. Sealant was done during the dental. I'm not convinced it really had any long term benefits. The waxy stuff was to be smeared on periodically.

Gracie and Oliver hated it even though they were on the product's brochure:

I'm actually using peanut on the applicator. ;)

Alicia, does Sonos have a similar maintenance product or is it a one-time application?

HA! Look at them being good spokes-doggies! :lol I have no idea if Sanos is "one and done" or if it requires a maintenance product. I'm taking the Meezer to the vet later, so I'm going to ask some more questions about the Sanos.