Steps And Other Struggles

Guest BethJ113

Guest BethJ113

Hi, I adopted a Greyhound (Anders) about a month ago now and we have been adjusting to each other. I do think I was ill prepared and did not understand everything about a retired racer, even though I tried to be as prepared as possible. Right now I am struggling with a few things. He has been crying all night in his crate that is downstairs (he was initially good but now from 4am-8am he is crying), I want him to be in my room (I think he would behave on his bed) however I can't get him up the wooden steps. Any advice on how to push this? He will walk up them as far as his front feet will allow, but those back legs will not leave the safety of the first floor.

Also I did not realize how serious sleep aggression was, I have learned now that Anders does not like to be bothered while on his bed. How have you dealt with this? Just leave it be? Also I would like to be able to walk him with other dogs but our first experience he snapped at a puppy, because the puppy was hyper and jumped on him (he was muzzled).

We are getting along otherwise and he is a great guy, however I am a little disappointed that he is not as cuddly as other breeds. I also don't know anyone near me that has adopted a greyhound.

Any advice would be helpful, right now I have been trying to let him acclimate and gain his trust before I push obedience and working on aggression (although I don't like to say he is aggressive because I don’t think he can help it).

So do these things fall in place through time or is there any recommendations. I am mainly afraid of doing something wrong and him getting worse.

- Thanks

Beth (bethj113@comcast.net)

Also I did not realize how serious sleep aggression was, I have learned now that Anders does not like to be bothered while on his bed. How have you dealt with this? Just leave it be? Also I would like to be able to walk him with other dogs but our first experience he snapped at a puppy, because the puppy was hyper and jumped on him (he was muzzled).

Yes, sleep aggression is serious. Let sleeping dogs alone. He has never been bothered while he was in his crate, now his bed. He expects others to respect his rights. No idea what a puppy is.

You need to learn more about his upbringing and experiences at the kennel and racetrack. Does he have a crate? He might like a crate for his safe zone. You don't have to close the door. People just need to know that is his castle.

He wants to be close to you at night. Have you considered becoming a couch sleeper. Many of us are.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Congratulations on your new addition.

We don't have stairs so I didn't have to worry about those. But my daughter adopted a greyhound and they live in a second floor apartment. I believe she put a treat on each step and it didn't take him any time before he was going up and down the steps.

Can you try leaving him out of his crate at night? Payton has been out since day two or three and he has been fine.

Space aggression really caught me off guard. We have a treat bowl on the mantle above his bed and we give him treats when we walk by. It didn't take him long to expect a treat. We leave him alone when he his lying down. Also, the space aggression carries over to the car, so I muzzle him when he rides with DD, although he hasn't growled at her in over three months. He has gotten much, much better in the few months he has been here.

You can search this forum for space aggression and gets tons of advice.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Adding some traction to your stairs (for example you can buy little carpet pads for stairs for a few dollars each) will definitely help. Greys tend to hate slippery floors, and that combined with stairs, won't make the process easier. Keep practicing, he will get it eventually.

All of the behaviours you are describing are quite normal for new adoptees. As he gets used to living in a house, being exposed to new situations, dogs, etc. he should relax a bit and these things will likely decrease. For sleep aggression you can choose to just not address him at all on his bed, or you can do some counter-conditioning to address it more proactively. Greys can be a bit aloof, especially at first, but they take quite a long time (mine took a year or more) to really show their true personality and to become more affectionate.

There must be some people on here from your area, maybe they could point you to some greyhound specific playgroups or activities.

I'll start with the puppy issue. Puppies are annoying brats :lol and there's a decent chance he was just trying to discipline it. Find older, calmer dogs and see how he does.

Try getting something to help with traction on the stairs. Put a leash and collar on him. Get him to walk up as far as he will, get behind him holding the leash so he can't turn either way, put your knee in his crotch, and lift/push gently. That's what's worked for me since I live alone and have joint issues.

He will get more cuddly as time goes on. Let sleeping dogs lie. Throw treats at him from across the room while he's laying down. It will start him understanding good things happen when he's bothered.

Guest Greysonsmom

I think adding some traction to the stairs is great advise. We have carpeted stairs, but have dealt with the issue twice. Our boy, and first adoption would go down, but not up. It took about a week and a half of placing treats on the stairs, before he would come up on his own. My husband would muzzle and carry him up at bed time. We adopted a second about a year later. She is smaller, younger, and very agile. She'll watch big brother, and go up on her own in no time...so we thought. Poor girl was petrified to go up OR down. After about 3 weeks of encouragement, treats, and my hubby's aching back, we finally figured it out. Like yours, her back feet would not leave the main floor, so we started placing her a few steps up, and letting her either go up or down on her own. On the second day, she came up on her own. :yay Just be careful on "down", in case your guy thinks he should jump to the bottom.

The cuddly should get better in time. Now that trust is established, ours love to spoon.

I think the sleep aggression is a possibility in many breeds. Greys spend so much time sleeping though, that it's sometimes tempting to go wake them up when we miss them.

Good Luck!!! :)

Guest grey_dreams

As others have mentioned, you need to put some traction on the wood stairs (carpet runner or carpet pads). Then, put a small piece of a high-value treat (boiled liver or boiled chicken) on each step, and he will be encouraged to keep climbing. When he's going up, stay to the side and behind to help him if he gets stuck. When he's going down, stay to the side and in front to help him and stop him from trying to jump down several steps at once (he could injure himself badly).

For night time crying, he wants to be in the same room as you. Sleep on the couch until he masters the stairs. If you are on the couch, you can let him be free at night, and not crated.

For sleep startle and guarding his space on his bed, roll a sock into a little ball. When he is sleeping, gently toss the sock to his rear quarters (leg, haunch, butt). Quickly follow by tossing a high-value treat (boiled liver or boiled chicken). He will startle awake from the sock, and then find the great treat. Repeat this as much as you can. It will take him a while to get used to having his space invaded while sleeping, but be aware that some dogs never get used to it.

Until you develop a mutually trusting relationship, don't expect him to cuddle with you. Cuddling is not a natural behavior for dogs, and the act of getting close and wrapping arms around their body is actually an aggressive move in dog language. Let him be until you develop a relationship. If he wants petting and comes to you to ask for petting, just do gentle strokes along his sides and back, and duck your head down and away. Don't stick your face next to his face, and don't make prolonged eye contact - both of those postures are aggressive moves in dog language.

He's only been with you such a short time. Just give him time to adjust and learn about you. It's certain that after a few months he will be totally different.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Until you develop a mutually trusting relationship, don't expect him to cuddle with you. Cuddling is not a natural behavior for dogs, and the act of getting close and wrapping arms around their body is actually an aggressive move in dog language. Let him be until you develop a relationship. If he wants petting and comes to you to ask for petting, just do gentle strokes along his sides and back, and duck your head down and away. Don't stick your face next to his face, and don't make prolonged eye contact - both of those postures are aggressive moves in dog language.

Totally agree. Also wanted to add, greyhounds (and sight hounds in general) show their affection differently than other dogs. They are not like labs or golden retrievers. They are not in your face "omg pet me pet me" type dogs, although you will find greys that do act like that, generally, they are more subtle. Many will simply lean on you, or walk up you for a gentle ear scritch and then go back to their bed. I consider my grey to be on the more cuddly side, and he still has not a fraction of the neediness you will find in other breeds. Time will help improve the relationship. Just let it happen :)

I have wood stairs as well, and can recommend these stair treads. They have a latex backing, so no tape or nails are required to keep them in place, and they are machine washable and dryable. (I did not want to install anything more permanent since we're planning to sell our townhouse within the year.) I've had my hound a little over a year now, and she does great on the stairs with these treads. Some extra traction plus treats and patience will almost certainly solve your problem. Good luck, and congrats on your addition! As others have said, you will be amazed at what a different dog you have a year from now...he will blossom with time.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

To get him up the stairs --

Stay behind him and keep one hand firmly on the railing AT ALL times. Otherwise, you might fall backwards down the stairs. User your other hand to hold his collar (or harness) so that he stays straight on the stairs. Then going one step at a time, use your knee right under his ass to pick him up and move him one step up. once you do that, he'll usually move his front legs up one step. Once that happens, use your knee to pick up his ass again. Make sure that you stay slightly bent over him so that he cannot rear up and go backwards. It could take up to 5 minutes to get up the flight of stairs.

To get him down the stairs --

Going down is just as tricky -- the dog is going to try and JUMP ALL THE WAY down and you have to make sure he does not do that. Grab his collar (or harness) and move him as close to the wall as possible and then making sure that you have a good grip on the railing, start to go down the stairs. The first step down is the worst but after that, he may try and jump. Take is easy and one step at a time. Make sure to hold him for at least a week going down the stairs until you know for sure that he will not jump.

I've fostered quite a few dogs and this procedure has always worked. You might also want to put a muzzle on.

Edited by MaryJane

Guest DeniseL

I bet you if you left him out of the crate at night, he would make it up the steps to be with you :)

These are many of the same concerns I had with my Miami. Just give him time. He will come out of his shell.....def get stair treads. The sleep startle might get better and might not. He will get more affectionate as time passes. Miami is a cuddle bug after being with us 1 1/2 years, but he still snarles and snaps when I walk by him at night....

Hi, I adopted a Greyhound (Anders) about a month ago now and we have been adjusting to each other. I do think I was ill prepared and did not understand everything about a retired racer, even though I tried to be as prepared as possible. Right now I am struggling with a few things. He has been crying all night in his crate that is downstairs (he was initially good but now from 4am-8am he is crying), I want him to be in my room (I think he would behave on his bed) however I can't get him up the wooden steps. Any advice on how to push this? He will walk up them as far as his front feet will allow, but those back legs will not leave the safety of the first floor.

We are getting along otherwise and he is a great guy, however I am a little disappointed that he is not as cuddly as other breeds. I also don't know anyone near me that has adopted a greyhound.

Any advice would be helpful, right now I have been trying to let him acclimate and gain his trust before I push obedience and working on aggression (although I don't like to say he is aggressive because I don’t think he can help it).

So do these things fall in place through time or is there any recommendations. I am mainly afraid of doing something wrong and him getting worse.

- Thanks

So sorry you are struggling, having doubts etc.

Some of this has already been stated but:

Most Greys must be able to see their people at night period. Some Greys will destroy themselves trying to get to their people. Please be careful.

If the stairs are slippery shiny wood your Grey will probably never climb them - he would have done it by now if he had it in him. And if he does do it, he won't be happy about it. I am not a fan of add on treads because they will still leave some slippery places and Anders could find them and fall. They can work but IMO full carpet coverage is the way to go - sorry. However leave him out of the crate with the light on when you go to bed and see if he will overcome his fear to get to you.

The sleep agression will fade as he learns to trust you. But always approach with extreme care. Never scold when he growls - you want him to growl at you if he feels the need. We had occasional growling for two years. We always rewarded it with a quick "good boy" and moved away.

In time Anders will learn that other dogs mean no harm and he will reduce his scolding of them. This take times and exposure and must be managed with care. Learn to read his body language when greeting other dogs. Remember he only speaks Greyhound. Most dogs raised by people are pretty good but some can be out of line.

Why should he be cuddly with you? What have you done to earn this type of treatment? Its been a month. While it sounds like he is starting to bond with you, please understand that for many, cuddling takes many months or years and sometimes will never happen when the dog is down. This is not a dog that came to you at 4 weeks old and thinks you are its mommy. Right now you are just another in a long line of various servants that the dog has had throughout its life/career. In time you will become the center of his world and it will be so much sweeter and more intense because you earned it.

Right now the most important thing is to get Anders with you at night - he must be with you - the crying is real sadness and fear. Also if it can work, if he does not get into stuff, get rid of the crate.

Anders sounds identical to my Hester when he joined us. If you only new what awaits you, you would have no doubts. Look at the thread in this forum titled Increasing Affection.

And this has happened only once, I waited two years for it, but it was totally worth it:

hesteratthebikerace.jpg

Edited by KickReturn

Guest DeniseL

My steps are shiny, slippery, hardwood. I bought Velcro stick-on stair treads off of Amazon for a steal. They actually look nice and all three of my hounds who were scared to death of the hardwood run up and down them.

I adopted Annie in July 2011. For what seemed like a very long time -- a few months -- I thought she didn't like me. She was gentle and sweet and had no major issues such as resource guarding or sleep aggression, but she didn't care whether I talked to her, petted her, or loved her up. I did it anyway, of course, because I loved her from day 1 and what better way to bond except pay loving attention? She liked it but never sought it out. Pretty much she barely paid attention to me unless I asked if she wanted to go for a walk or a ride or wanted supper. Then one day for no apparent reason she walked up to me, put her head between my knees, leaned onto my thighs and stayed there while I massaged her neck, pet her up and down, and whispered silly words into her soft ears. I also teared up. It was so special. She still does this when she wants some lovin', and apparently I've been remiss in giving it to her, and she may do it several times a day. So hang in there. Love your boy up when he's not sleeping, talk to him a lot, remind him he's the best boy in the whole world, and he'll come around in a Greyhound way.

Stairs: My girl hated stairs. She spent the first 6 months post adoption sleeping alone downstairs (but not in a crate) because she wouldn't do the stairs to the second floor. One night, apparently she decided she hated being alone and whined at the bottom of the stairs. That night I slept downstairs with her, but I don't give up my bed for sleeping, not even for my much-loved Annie (unless she's ill). The next day with total confidence (they sense any hesitation or insecurity on the part of their human) I informed her she was learning to do stairs today. I got behind her and put front foot/front foot on a stair and then back foot/back foot on the stair below, and then gave a push on the butt. We did it 4 times, up and down, one right after the other, with treats at top and bottom (Annie's not food motivated so that had nothing to do with her success). The 5th time I started up she took off on her own and has been fine ever since. Unlike some recommendations, I didn't use a leash. It kept getting in the way and I was afraid if she did take off, it would tangle up in her legs. That's just a personal preference.

Walking with other dogs: Keep Anders on a short leash (and not a retractable leash!) and be vigilant about having other owners keep their dogs out of his face. If someone walking their dog appears to have no control, that is letting the dog walk at the end of the leash, jumping around, I speak up and ask them nicely to keep their dog away from mine until we find out if they get along, and even then I want both dogs on a short leash for control. A good explanation is reminding people that they wouldn't like it if I walked into their personal space and got in their face. Dogs are no different. I also keep myself between Annie and anything that might be a threat or alarm her. Nothing will get to her unless they take me down first.

It will all be OK. Relax and use your common sense. You've read the books and you're getting good advice here. I distinctly remember the feeling of being anxious and worried I'd "break" Annie. I also remember the moment when it hit me that as special as she was, she was still a dog, albeit not a lab or golden.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest Houston1219

Laughing out loud at your stair scenario because it reminded me of our near identical experience! The back two feet would not leave the floor! our method was team work- i took the front feet and dad took the back feet. We "walked" him, one foot in front of the other, the way he would eventually be doing it on his own, to familiarize him with the movement (front, then back, front back, etc.) he looked like a bid goofy puppet, but it made the movement more fluid by the time we were half way up he was trying it on his own. It looked like the scene from bambi when he is skating on the ice, those long skinny legs going every which way :rofl now the stair case is three big leaps up and fast tiny steps down. He figured out up much faster than down, and for the first few days we would hold his collar to pace him on the way down, or else he would try to take one huge leap and the landing was less than graceful! Treats were not much help, but one day I went to work and when i came home he was gracefully flying up and down them playing fetch with dad. come to find out, while I was out they were "practicing" all day, which meant it was tough love from dad, and he got lead up and down them enough times he could do it on his own. To this day we occasionally throw treats down the stairs and laugh about dad's "staircase bootcamp" lol

best of luck to you!

Guest Wasserbuffel

He has been crying all night in his crate that is downstairs (he was initially good but now from 4am-8am he is crying), I want him to be in my room (I think he would behave on his bed) however I can't get him up the wooden steps. Any advice on how to push this? He will walk up them as far as his front feet will allow, but those back legs will not leave the safety of the first floor.

Like a few others suggested, you might want to sleep on the couch until he learns the stairs. I slept in the spare bedroom for the first few days, because mine didn't come knowing stairs. Sometimes picking up and moving one foot at a time can help them to learn how to do the stairs.

Also I did not realize how serious sleep aggression was, I have learned now that Anders does not like to be bothered while on his bed. How have you dealt with this? Just leave it be?

Your approach here depends on if we're talking about space aggression or sleep startle. Space aggression is where a dog who is awake won't tolerate you near its resting space. Sleep startle is where a sleeping dog comes up snapping if awakened. Space aggression generally decreases as bonding and trust develop. You can encourage them to allow your intrusion by making it rewarding for them to do so. Sleep startle often decreases as well with bonding and trust, and as the dog relaxes in their new environment. Tossing light objects, like balled socks, onto the sleeping dog can help it to learn that being touched while asleep doesn't necessarily mean bad things are going to happen. Some dogs, no matter how much they love you, can never get past their sleep startle. It's not their fault, they're sleeping, but it is something to be aware of that you might have to accept.

I got my dog over her dislike of people leaning over putting their faces near hers by teaching her to touch her nose to a person's face (kiss) to receive a treat. Now she gets excited when people put their faces near hers, instead of getting scared.

Also I would like to be able to walk him with other dogs but our first experience he snapped at a puppy, because the puppy was hyper and jumped on him (he was muzzled).

This is a non-issue. His actions in snapping at the puppy for being an obnoxious puppy were 100% appropriate dog behavior, and aren't a valid indicator of how he will react to the presence of an adult dog who isn't jumping on him.

I am a little disappointed that he is not as cuddly as other breeds.

Even dog of another breed might not express much interest in cuddling a new owner after just a month. My grey and I were still working on couch sharing and boundaries eight months after adoption. After about a year or so she began to get cuddly. Now if she's not crated at night she's in our bed. If I'm sleeping on the couch, she's curled up by my legs. She's even begun to enjoy laying across my lap in the recliner.

I also don't know anyone near me that has adopted a greyhound.

How near is your adoption group? I've made lots of greyhound owning buddies by volunteering with my group.

Any advice would be helpful, right now I have been trying to let him acclimate and gain his trust before I push obedience and working on aggression

Working on obedience is actually a great way to bond with him and gain his trust. I started by feeding my new grey by hand, and used mealtimes to start on basic tricks like "touch" and "wait".

We also had slippery, steep, hardwood stairs when we first adopted Marvin, but we bought stair treads (http://www.improvementscatalog.com/weave-washable-stair-treads-set-of-4/home-decor/area-rugs-stair-treads-mats/267927), and they eventually helped us get Marvin up and down the stairs. It was probably 2-3 months before our hound was able to go up and down the stairs. Friends of ours who apparently have way better tasting treats taught him to go up the stairs in less than 20 minutes, after we had zero success in 2 weeks. Down was a bit more difficult, and my fiance ended up carrying the beast down at least part way for another week. We were able to work on going down stairs by finding some steps outside in the neighborhood that were about 4 steps total to help Marvin learn how to shift his weight to descent.

If you're in the Philadelphia area, there should be lots of greyhound owners in the area. The National Greyhound Adoption Program (NGAP, ngap.org) is located in Philly, and our dog is from their organization. They should be more than willing to connect you with local owners, and I think they even have a set of "trainer stairs" at their facility.

It was almost 6 months before we really started to see Marvin's full personality emerge consistently. He may not be super cuddly, but he is always adorable and hilarious. It takes some time to establish to Anders that you are pack leader, no matter what. For us, that meant him not sleeping in our bedroom at night, not being allowed (at first) on the furniture, and removal from "his pack", i.e. us, if he did something really bad, like snapping or biting me when I tried to take something off of him. After a few months, our relationship as Marvin's pack leader was fully established, and we haven't had any incidents since.

Good luck!

Congrats - and good for you for asking questions! First off - SLOW DOWN. Don't try so many new things right now. Walking with other dogs - dealing with puppies -etc - wait for that stuff. Just let the dog figure out your house first.

Sleep aggression is a big deal - but for now - don't mess with him on his bed. After he gets settled - you can fix sleep aggression. Just don't let him on your bed or furniture for now.

First issue - stairs. Lots of good advice here. Get the night time, sleeping in your room thing conquered - then - address one other thing at a time.

SLOW DOWN. Relax. This is a process.

Oh yeah - affection? Just wait. When the dog is comfortable - and he's not yet - that will come. You haven't made it that far yet.

Guest BethJ113

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. First I have let him out of his crate at night which has calmed the crying down 100%, and he has not gotten into any trouble yet, he seems to sleep through the night until I come down for him. Anders has made it up the steps, which like some of you have said on his own to be with me. I had to help him a great deal down but it was progress. I am investing in those treads that you have recommended, hopefully they arrive soon. Anders is considerably social, and I just need to continue to remind myself to be more patient. Orginally he did smap at me on two occassions which had me slightly startled (although I truly understand his position), after he growled at the puppy I became a tad more anxious. All of your suggestions and experience has really made me feel a lot better and helped me gain back the confidence of my orginal decision to adopt a greyhound. Over the last week I have seen someone walking a greyhound around so I am going to try and see if they would like to be our buddy.

Also I think of new things everyday: I am unclear about collars. He came with a skinny margingale collar with his tags on. I have read a lot of different things about taking that collar off and only using it for walks, while leaving a special collar on him for chains.

Again THANK you for all support!!

Chains?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thrilled to hear about progress on the stairs and freedom from the crate. Make sure Anders has a bed located near where you sleep if that's where he wants to be.

You are correct regarding collars. A light comfortable collar for tags and a martingale for walking. Never leave an unattended dog with a martingale on, some say there is a risk of strangulation. Some owners leave their dogs with ID collars on all the time so that the dog can be returned if it ever escapes. Others let their dogs go naked (no collars) in the house.

BTW a nice wide martingale is more comfortable and safer.

This is a typical setup:

015goh.jpg

Edited by KickReturn

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. First I have let him out of his crate at night which has calmed the crying down 100%, and he has not gotten into any trouble yet, he seems to sleep through the night until I come down for him. Anders has made it up the steps, which like some of you have said on his own to be with me. I had to help him a great deal down but it was progress. I am investing in those treads that you have recommended, hopefully they arrive soon. Anders is considerably social, and I just need to continue to remind myself to be more patient. Orginally he did smap at me on two occassions which had me slightly startled (although I truly understand his position), after he growled at the puppy I became a tad more anxious. All of your suggestions and experience has really made me feel a lot better and helped me gain back the confidence of my orginal decision to adopt a greyhound. Over the last week I have seen someone walking a greyhound around so I am going to try and see if they would like to be our buddy.

Also I think of new things everyday: I am unclear about collars. He came with a skinny margingale collar with his tags on. I have read a lot of different things about taking that collar off and only using it for walks, while leaving a special collar on him for chains.

Again THANK you for all support!!

Good for you! You're making progress!

Don't sweat the small stuff. Focus on real issues first. One step at a time.

One suggestion - you might want to start new threads for each specific question, so it doesn't get jumbled up. Keep asking questions!

But since you asked about martingales - there is a risk that an unsupervised dog in a martingale can get the D ring caught on something - and in it's panic to get free - choke. If you have this worry - just take the collar off in the house. You can buy tag collars, but for now, removing the collar removes the risk.

Personally - my dogs have worn martingales 24/7 forever. Some thin, some wide, depends on the dog. I've never had any issues - but there IS a risk with any choke-type collar. If you're worried - take it off.

I'll bet if you run into the person walking the greyhound - with your greyhound - they'll be happy to talk to you. I'd be surprised if they don't approach you! LOL! (greyhound people usually LOVE to see other greyhound people). Be sure to tell them you're a new owner. Most of us have "been there, done that" and are more than willing to share our experiences with a newbie.

Edited by sobesmom

• 3 weeks later...