Growling In Her Crate At Night

Minnie sleeps in her crate in our bedroom at night. Streak sleeps on a dog bed in the same room.

About 20-30 minutes of going in her crate, she begins growling. She is black and I can't tell from her eyes if she is asleep or awake. The growling gets progressively louder, until we tell her "that's enough" or "settle". When she sleeps on a dog bed the rest of the time she might yip or whine a bit in her sleep but does not growl.

I have tried several times to just let her sleep on a dog bed in our room, but she wants to go in the crate at night. She will just pace the room until we put her in there and lock the door. I tried just leaving the door open and she could go in if she wanted, but she just paces. Once we close the door, she settles right down.

Do you think she just goes into a really deep sleep in the crate? She seems to sleep pretty deeply elsewhere on a dog bed. We have tried to figure out if she is seeing something...like the light from the TV bouncing off the mirror...we covered the mirror and she still did it. When all of the lights are off she still does it. I wonder sometimes if she can hear something we can't. Streak is totally non-reactive to everything including the growling. The two of them get along perfectly fine with each other.

Just curious if your grey does anything like this and if you figured it out. It's getting to be comical as you can just about set your watch by the growling. I should add, it's not a threatening type growl...but it is steady, loud and escalates.

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

How long has Minnie been with you?

If it hasn't been that long, then I might think that she is hearing something that is strange to her and that after time, it should become a normal sound. I would make note if there are "sounds" that you are used to but to her, might be alarming. A furnace turning on, a car starting, noise from the house next door might all be normal sounds to you, but not to her. There could even be some wildlife outside that she is picking up on.

We've had Bella almost 4 years and she's more growly when sleeping now than she ever was - it's definitely deep sleep and dreaming for her, both during the day and at night. She has some pretty strong sleep startle responses so she now goes in her crate with the door closed at night (we normally will find her in her crate by choice during the day, too).

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

How long has Minnie been with you?

If it hasn't been that long, then I might think that she is hearing something that is strange to her and that after time, it should become a normal sound. I would make note if there are "sounds" that you are used to but to her, might be alarming. A furnace turning on, a car starting, noise from the house next door might all be normal sounds to you, but not to her. There could even be some wildlife outside that she is picking up on.

She has been here three months. I am going to try to listen for anything that might be happening right before or during the the next episode...that would be tonight. :lol

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Can you just leave a light on one night? Nothing super bright, but enough that you will be able to see her. Do your normal routine as if you've gone to bed and fallen asleep and once she really gets going, take a look to see if she's asleep.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."