Shaking On Walks

Guest Branna

Hi, everyone. We adopted our greyhound about 8 weeks ago. He's adjusted very well, except now that it's so cold I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across this issue.

It's not that he's shivering (he has a warm coat and a snood), but it seems that every few steps when we're on our walk, he is constantly shaking himself (as if he were covered with water). Could this just be a reaction to the cold (-13 celsius) dry air and he's just not used to it, coming from the Alabama.

Thank you for all your help.

My hound does this because she doesn't like wearing a coat; could that be it? (Obviously, at that temperature yours will have to get used to it!)

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

It could also be the static created by his fur rubbing on the lining that's bothering him. Try running a thin layer of hand lotion over him before he dresses to go out.

Some of mine do this only when wearing a coat as well.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Mine do it too, but I thought for the longest time it was because of static. I have one coat for Kasey it's always charged with static and I wonder if it jolts him as he walks. You could try to wash the coats in more softener, or wash them more regularly. That's my only suggestion.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I will just chime in to add that "shaking off" is also a stress-reliever for dogs. Since you haven't had this dog long, and it's obviously way too cold for him to go coatless, I would try all the things suggested for static, but also watch to see if there is a common trigger for the shaking. Does he only do it when he's just walked past a yard with barking dogs, or when a bicycle has whizzed past, or kids have been playing? That sort of thing. Just in case it is an anxiety cause, and not a physical one from the coat.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Try walking him without the coat. You can't believe how much static electricity can build up in those fleece coats.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Annie likes to give her body a big shake, with feet flying side to side, a few times a day, inside or outside, summer or winter, but she does it more often outside when she has on a coat in the cold weather. It's as if she's trying to shake off the coat. Too bad. If she wants to walk and it's cold, she has to wear a coat. If she really hates a particular coat (such as the expensive but wonderful Voyagers K9 coat I bought last month), after 50 feet, she refuses to walk and turns back to home. Once I change out the coat for another, she's glad to walk.