Muscle Spasm In Neck

Poor Hester woke up last night with the Greyhound Scream of Death and a neck problem. He is obviously in spasm. The poor fellow can hardly move his neck and it is stuck curved to the left. He spent a good part of the night standing near me imploring me to help him. He is so sad.

He can only walk in circles to the left. It was an ordeal for him just to get out of our bedroom this morning because the entrance is a long corridor. He managed by walking sort of sideways. He is so confused.

He screams if I try to move his head at all, although he will take a gentle massage. I put a dose of Metacam in his breakfast (which he ate by walking in circles to the left around his bowl).

He had full body x-rays recently and his spine was pronounced to be in excellent condition for a dog with his long race history.

Apparently we have an excellent chiropractor in town. Is that the way to go? Has anyone had similar problems? Advice is welcome.

I have no idea how I will be able to get him into my vehicle if I have to transport him.

Is the chiro also a veterinarian??

If so, yes...take him there.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Call your vet and get your boy some methocarbamol (aka Robaxin)--a muscle relaxer. It's not expensive, you can get a prescription to fill at your local pharmacy, and I've always seen good results within the first few hours. It's something that's safe to take alongside an NSAID.

When my old boy had a sore neck, the chiropractor recommended the methocarbamol, and my vet agreed.

Your vet may be willing to prescribe the methocarbamol without seeing Hester, given the recent back exam. Then you could set up a chiropractor visit for once your boy is able to move better. But make it clear to the vet's office that moving Hester is painful.

P.S. Muzzle him before you try to move him. Even in pain, a hurting dog can move fast.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Clawsandpaws

I would get another xray asap. I also agree with KF, muzzle him if you need to do anything with him that could hurt him.

ETA: I say xray because it's an easy thing for a vet to do to start the ruling out process. The way you are describing it seems pretty severe. At least take him to the vet so they can evaluate it better than us :)

Also ETA pt. 2: How much does he weigh? Do you know how to lift a greyhound? Like a Kennel lift? (I only say lift a grey, because they don't take well to being picked up all willy nilly like other breeds) I can usually lift up to 80lb greys, and thats to put them in a top track crate, so if you do it properly, you should be able to get him in your car

Edited by Clawsandpaws

I would get another xray asap. I also agree with KF, muzzle him if you need to do anything with him that could hurt him.

ETA: I say xray because it's an easy thing for a vet to do to start the ruling out process. The way you are describing it seems pretty severe. At least take him to the vet so they can evaluate it better than us :)

Also ETA pt. 2: How much does he weigh? Do you know how to lift a greyhound? Like a Kennel lift? (I only say lift a grey, because they don't take well to being picked up all willy nilly like other breeds) I can usually lift up to 80lb greys, and thats to put them in a top track crate, so if you do it properly, you should be able to get him in your car

Roger that on the muzzle. Heading to the vet.

Hester is 90 lbs but I can lift him. I don't know exactly what a "kennel lift" is. I see sometimes the person will get one arm under the mid section but this never worked for me. I am a big guy and just scoop him up:

15301p.jpg

The vet didn't think x-rays were needed. Her conclusions were the same as mine. Metacam and Robaxin advised.

The big fellow is an excellent mover when he gets going but his body shows the years of racing. He is completely assymetrical, he certainly has his aches an pains.

He was very brave at the vet, but he did get stuck on the scale. There was a wall to his left side and because he can only turn to the left with his crooked neck he had no escape. I had to lift his front end and point him into the middle of the room. We did a little walk and he did all his business so were are good for a few hours.They even have a loading dock there - I back up my SUV and Hester can walk right out when we arrive and then walk back in when we are done.

The chiropractor is a fully certified human chiro who at some point switched to vetrinary. She also does horses and has a stellar reputation. I don't think I will take Hester until he is pain free.

Edited by KickReturn

I hope he is doing better today. Amazed by the pic of you lifting him like he weighs nothing.

Hester is moving around much better today - thanks everyone for your concern.

I might be mistaken but I think he loves it when I lift him - he makes these happy little grunting noises. When I look at the photos of me lifting him, I am always struck by how relaxed he is - like he is ready to doze off. Never any squirming, he just goes limp and trusts me. Such a good boy.

As for the lifting, I don't find it too bad when I am warmed up, but first thing in the morning is when I have to be careful with the ole back. That photo above was taken at the base of a small cliff that I had to carry him up - near the top my foot got stuck in a crack in the rocks and I to sort of heave him to the top before I toppled.

This was the next photo in the series:

15401z.jpg

And this is after I heaved him and got my foot unstuck - fortunately I had a helper to grab him:

72e3.jpg

Edited by KickReturn

Glad Hester is feeling better today! If your vet didn't warn you, give him plenty of time to recover. He will want to start running around as soon as he starts feeling better, but keep him quiet for a few weeks if you can. I speak with the voice of experience :) if you listen to them (really, I feel great, I'm fine) he will just reinjure himself and it will take even longer!

Edited by Remolacha