Peeing Indoors

We're coming up on Bonnie's first gotcha day, and have not had any incidents of peeing in the house until now. For the last couple of weeks, she's been peeing overnight in one spot on my 60 yr old LIVING ROOM HARDWOOD FLOOR, (which has since turned black!).

She's not doing it every night, it's more like 3x/week, but before I set up her kennel again, I'd like to rule out a medical problem and will take a urine sample to the vet's. There have been no changes in her routine or environment, so I hesitate to consider her behaviour as something psychological. Would anybody care to share how they handled this problem?

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

You didn't say at what time or how long she is walked before bed.

Sorry, should have thought of that. Last call is 10 p.m., and she's walked for no less than 15 minutes. After the 2nd incident, I started emptying her water bowl before bed.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Definitely check medical first. Also, buy a tuner backed bath may to cover and protect that area. It's getting colder out, are you sure she's doing her business when outside?

Great idea about the bath mat, but what's a "tuner backed" bath mat, or is that a typo? For the record, I used to think this dog was a camel, she could hold it so long. Regarding cold weather, Bonnie doesn't think twice about going out in the rain, wind, snow.

My Etsy Shop

Great idea about the bath mat, but what's a "tuner backed" bath mat, or is that a typo? For the record, I used to think this dog was a camel, she could hold it so long. Regarding cold weather, Bonnie doesn't think twice about going out in the rain, wind, snow.

Sorry, that was autocorrect. I meant rubber backed.

Guest morgannicole

With our hounds, we baby-gate them in our master bedroom with us at night. They get free roam of the room and get to choose their beds etc. but they are limited to just the master bedroom. I find (with one of our hounds in particular) that it keeps them out of trouble etc. as we did have some housebreaking issues with him in the first while after adopting him. He won't go to the bathroom in the room and sleeps all through the night. He is learning! :) We have only had him 9 months now.

With our hounds, we baby-gate them in our master bedroom with us at night. They get free roam of the room and get to choose their beds etc. but they are limited to just the master bedroom. I find (with one of our hounds in particular) that it keeps them out of trouble etc. as we did have some housebreaking issues with him in the first while after adopting him. He won't go to the bathroom in the room and sleeps all through the night. He is learning! :) We have only had him 9 months now.

Never thought of that; our bedroom is quite small, but there's enough room to fit her dog bed. I will try it out tonight~~a very helpful suggestion. Thanks!

My Etsy Shop

Guest morgannicole

Never thought of that; our bedroom is quite small, but there's enough room to fit her dog bed. I will try it out tonight~~a very helpful suggestion. Thanks!

I hope it helps! :) Let me know how it goes!

Hi,

I feel for you. Is there something that "changed" in her routine (or yours) suddenly or that has made her anxious or maybe there is something she has become afraid of outside?

I'm Zoe's mommy. My dog suddenly developed a problem urinating indoors when she developed a fear/phobia of "noises and kids" she heard outside! Any chance there's something "spooking" her outside? Sounds silly but something like patio furniture covers, new garbage can, holiday decorations that cover the windows or door area or lights that blink....?

Remember when you were a kid and afraid of shadows on the wall and weird shapes? These looked like "the Boogey Man" to you or you thought they were monsters. Maybe there's something similar going through her little doggy mind.

How is her bladder? Is she older and goes out more than normal? Can she "hold it" until she gets to the door?

How is her eyesight? Is she having a hard time seeing where to go at night so she heads to the same spot she already went on because it smells?

Hey, just ideas. With Greys you never know. Worth thinking about

Hope you get it solved and save your floors. I'm trying to save my rug too.

Zoesmommy

Thank you Zoesmommy, all excellent thoughts! I have an inkling it's got something to do with not wanting to be left on her own. Bonnie had another accident when we stepped out a few days ago. And thinking back, there have been some previous accidents that have happened either while we were out, or when we were in our family room watching a movie (she won't set foot down to the basement). I am at home, so she is accustomed to always having someone around but when I volunteer and am gone for 5 hours one day a week, she's been fine and there's been no accidents. It's a bit of a head scratcher.

To Morannicole: We tried keeping Bonnie baby gated in our bedroom, but she was afraid of the gate and became panicky. Thanks again for the idea.

My Etsy Shop

Guest morgannicole

Thank you Zoesmommy, all excellent thoughts! I have an inkling it's got something to do with not wanting to be left on her own. Bonnie had another accident when we stepped out a few days ago. And thinking back, there have been some previous accidents that have happened either while we were out, or when we were in our family room watching a movie (she won't set foot down to the basement). I am at home, so she is accustomed to always having someone around but when I volunteer and am gone for 5 hours one day a week, she's been fine and there's been no accidents. It's a bit of a head scratcher.

To Morannicole: We tried keeping Bonnie baby gated in our bedroom, but she was afraid of the gate and became panicky. Thanks again for the idea.

Awh, that's too bad! I hope you can figure something out that works well for her :)

Guest iconsmum

I have always used a light line tied one end around my ankle and the other end to my new dog at night, until I am happy. The big comfy dog bed is on the floor right beside my side of the bed and the dog's free to shift around as far as 8 feet will allow him. But if the dog decides to wander, the ankle tug wakes me up to re-settle it My rule is, greyhounds remain in the bedroom with me, no wandering = no getting any funny ideas in the night, no exceptions...(this is quite difficult as a scale-able thing, though :))

Guest LunaTheGreyt

When Luna started peeing indoors during my workday I began crating her, but she started peeing in the crate, too. The vet diagnosed her with a UTI and after a round of antibiotics she stopped peeing the crate. Definitely take a sample in!

I have always used a light line tied one end around my ankle and the other end to my new dog at night, until I am happy. The big comfy dog bed is on the floor right beside my side of the bed and the dog's free to shift around as far as 8 feet will allow him. But if the dog decides to wander, the ankle tug wakes me up to re-settle it My rule is, greyhounds remain in the bedroom with me, no wandering = no getting any funny ideas in the night, no exceptions...(this is quite difficult as a scale-able thing, though :))

Wish I could take your advice but our bedroom is in no way a master being 10 x 10, lol. I tried keeping her in with the suggestion from morannicole, but the she became panicky. There is only about a 2 1/2 x 4 ft space that she could go, which is way too small. Love your idea though, if we ever move. :-)

When Luna started peeing indoors during my workday I began crating her, but she started peeing in the crate, too. The vet diagnosed her with a UTI and after a round of antibiotics she stopped peeing the crate. Definitely take a sample in!

Did your girlie have accidents nightly? Bonnie doesn't do it every night; it's more like once or twice a month, so that's why I'm leaning towards a behaviour issue, unless a UTI can manifest infrequently?

My Etsy Shop

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Did your girlie have accidents nightly? Bonnie doesn't do it every night; it's more like once or twice a month, so that's why I'm leaning towards a behaviour issue, unless a UTI can manifest infrequently?

She actually only had accidents during the day, while I was at work (about 9 hours, even though she can go 10+ when I'm home/sleeping). I'm currently worried that she has another one because yesterday she peed while laying down when I got home, and peed in her crate today. I just ordered some cranberry pills on Amazon because I'm sick of antibiotics!

She actually only had accidents during the day, while I was at work (about 9 hours, even though she can go 10+ when I'm home/sleeping). I'm currently worried that she has another one because yesterday she peed while laying down when I got home, and peed in her crate today. I just ordered some cranberry pills on Amazon because I'm sick of antibiotics!

What a great idea! Are they specifically for dogs or are they people pills? My guess is it's people, in which case, how do you determine the dosage? I'm asking so as to stock my own home pharmacy, lol.

My Etsy Shop

Guest LunaTheGreyt

What a great idea! Are they specifically for dogs or are they people pills? My guess is it's people, in which case, how do you determine the dosage? I'm asking so as to stock my own home pharmacy, lol.

They're actually meant for dogs! I searched on Amazon and found this product. If she continues wetting the crate I'll still put her through another round of amoxicillan but from now on she's going to get the cranberry supplement as a preventative measure.

Zoesmommy: I tried to send you a PM, to thank you for the friend request, but you need to have made 50 posts before you are given the private messaging privilege, so Thanks again!

My Etsy Shop