Thyme Is Seizing! At Emergency Now...

Guest DeniseL

Guest greymarn

Diastat is rectal valium (generic diazepam) and is usually supplied in single use/dose syringes pf 5mg, 10mg strengths and is meant to be used for "break-through" seizures, that is, those not controlled by daily anti-epilepsy drugs such as Phenobarb, Dilantin, Keppra, Lamictal, etc. Does this help? I'm not sure what the question is...?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DeniseL

The Valium is in a dark vial. With syringes to draw it out of the vial. A rubber hosey thing to attach to the syringe and then another water vial to attach to the hosey thing to flush it with water.

Guest DeniseL

Diastat is rectal valium (generic diazepam) and is usually supplied in single use/dose syringes pf 5mg, 10mg strengths and is meant to be used for "break-through" seizures, that is, those not controlled by daily anti-epilepsy drugs such as Phenobarb, Dilantin, Keppra, Lamictal, etc. Does this help? I'm not sure what the question is...?

I looked at the vial. it is just diazapam, but it looks like they filled it, so it doesn't have anymore specific info on it. It would be used to stop a cluster of seizures, which, I guess, would be breakthrough seizure, considering she is starting Zosanimide today.

No I have a bunch, but they are all 3ml.

I might suggest that you get back to the office and ask why is the dose in the syringe and ask about the dosage as it seems that it is an oral and not a rectal dosage. I'm so sorry that you need to do this, I had hoped that it would go perfectly for you but, I'm finding that there are always glitches with getting the treatments right for seizure dogs. I might suggest that you reference the second page link that I provided earlier with your neurologist and find out why you have such a minimal dose. The only reason that I am suggesting this is that the dose may not be adequate to stop the seizures and you don't want to be in that position. As I mentioned Lucy is 68 pounds and she gets 16 ml. When she gets it- she's zonked out but, that is what you want to keep the seizure activity at bay.

The Valium is in a dark vial. With syringes to draw it out of the vial. A rubber hosey thing to attach to the syringe and then another water vial to attach to the hosey thing to flush it with water.

I'm confused now, did they pre-fill the syringes for you? That is what I assumed from a previous post .....

Guest DeniseL

I might suggest that you get back to the office and ask why is the dose in the syringe and ask about the dosage as it seems that it is an oral and not a rectal dosage. I'm so sorry that you need to do this, I had hoped that it would go perfectly for you but, I'm finding that there are always glitches with getting the treatments right for seizure dogs. I might suggest that you reference the second page link that I provided earlier with your neurologist and find out why you have such a minimal dose. The only reason that I am suggesting this is that the dose may not be adequate to stop the seizures and you don't want to be in that position. As I mentioned Lucy is 68 pounds and she gets 16 ml. When she gets it- she's zonked out but, that is what you want to keep the seizure activity at bay.

I have a call into the nurse now...

I just gave Thyme her first dose of Zosonimide, I am so neurotic. I will be watching her like a hawk. I tried to ask the Dr. if she really needed medicine cause the seizures were so mild, but he was very adamant that we needed to medicate her :(

I have a call into the nurse now...

I just gave Thyme her first dose of Zosonimide, I am so neurotic. I will be watching her like a hawk. I tried to ask the Dr. if she really needed medicine cause the seizures were so mild, but he was very adamant that we needed to medicate her :(

Please relax, the first few weeks will be a bit nerve-racking but, after awhile, this all gets to be old hat .... really.

Since she was clustering (more than 1 seizure in 24 hours), she really needs to be on medicine. She was also seizing more than once in 4 weeks. Just one of these conditions would indicate a need for medicine - Thyme had two.

Guest DeniseL

I'm confused now, did they pre-fill the syringes for you? That is what I assumed from a previous post .....

IMAG3450_zpsabbd7635.jpg

IMAG3449_zpsfc451d96.jpg

Vial is kept in the dark bottle away from light. The syringe I fill from the vial when it is needed. Sorry for the confusion.

IMAG3450_zpsabbd7635.jpg

IMAG3449_zpsfc451d96.jpg

Vial is kept in the dark bottle away from light. The syringe I fill from the vial when it is needed. Sorry for the confusion.

OK, that is good that the Valium is kept away from light. Also that you fill syringes as needed. I see the bottle is 5mg/ml - that is what I use ..... so you do need to check the dosage - should be much higher. Check the link that I gave you (2nd) and it discusses the rectal valium dose.

Guest DeniseL

OK, that is good that the Valium is kept away from light. Also that you fill syringes as needed. I see the bottle is 5mg/ml - that is what I use ..... so you do need to check the dosage - should be much higher. Check the link that I gave you (2nd) and it discusses the rectal valium dose.

Ok. Glad the dilution is the same, at least. I will ask when the nurse calls and let you know...

Guest DeniseL

I'm redoing the math for the dosages and you may be OK. There is a range and Lucy is at the high end (she clusters) and it looks like Thyme is at the low end.

Maybe because her seizures have been mild so far....still good to have them double check. It would not be the first time a vet/nurse/hospital gave one of my dogs the wrong dosage. UPenn made Maya very sick with a too large dose of blood pressure medicine...nightmare. That is why I posted he dosage here, wanted to make sure it was right...

Guest DeniseL

Ok Denise, take a deep breath. Sit down and have a LARGE glass of wine.

:D

That sounds like a good idea!

And the odds are on your side, chances are that Thyme will be fine on the meds and never need the rectal valium.

Hopefully. Because the chances of me remembering how to do it while in a complete panic are slim anyway.... :unsure

No experience with seizures here, but I have been following this thread from the beginning and I have certainly learned a lot and will continue to follow along.

:goodluck to Thyme and a :bighug to all of you who deal with this.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Ok, can I third or fourth the recommendation to relax!

You are doing all the right things and Thyme will do well, I'm sure.

You have the meds needed. You know what you have to do --I have my emergency protocol written out and on my fridge because I'm afraid of panicking in the moment too.

Give yourself a nice break and time to absorb all this information.

It is really frightening, at first, I know. Dealing with an epi-dog isn't easy But the truth is that the majority of epi-dogs with conscientious and observant owners live for a long time with very good quality of life!

The early days are the worst because you are not sure what you are dealing with, but it does get better.

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest DeniseL

Thank you again, everyone. I don't know what I would do without this forum. Thyme is sleeping under the covers next to me, like she always does. She was a little restless tonight after the meds, it will be interesting to see how she reacts to it...

These dogs will be the death of me, and I wouldn't have it any other way...:)

The video made me cry. Thunder's seizures have never looked like that. Which just goes to show, that every dog and every seizure is different.

Thunder had 4 last Wed in about 45 minutes. I did get a video.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151680958267583

He started on 300 mg zoni and then after 3 days, went down to 250mg. It stopped working after a few months.

The test to check the zoni level was around $300. He is still on it because when we started to wean off, he clustered. We added PB and then in June added Keppra ER.

Use Goodrx.com to check prices in your area. I was spending $200 a month on the 3 drugs and now I'm down to about $80 but the price of zoni and keppra are going up for some reason.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest DeniseL

The video made me cry. Thunder's seizures have never looked like that. Which just goes to show, that every dog and every seizure is different.

Thunder had 4 last Wed in about 45 minutes. I did get a video.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151680958267583

He started on 300 mg zoni and then after 3 days, went down to 250mg. It stopped working after a few months.

The test to check the zoni level was around $300. He is still on it because when we started to wean off, he clustered. We added PB and then in June added Keppra ER.

Use Goodrx.com to check prices in your area. I was spending $200 a month on the 3 drugs and now I'm down to about $80 but the price of zoni and keppra are going up for some reason.

I'm sorry about Thunder. :(

Dr. Eagleson told me the price of the Zoni was going up significantly, but we decided to go with it considering the insurance will pay for it. We probably would have just went for it anyway, it seemed like the best option. Heres hoping it works and keeps working. But, I guess, even if we just get a year or so out of it, it's better than using the more damaging drugs for that year.

Thyme seems ok today. No nausea or wobbilyness that I can detect. Not 100% herself, but I will take it.

And I just got a call from Trupanion. They pre-approved the MRI and spinal tap if we decide to pursue it. The estimate was over $2700. They will pay for 90% of it. They are amazing.

Guest DeniseL

Just an update on my little princess....no problems with the Zoni, she is taking it twice a day and no side effects I can detect. Today she is one week seizure free (at least that I have witnessed) but I think she is feeling great! Tomorrow we go back to her regular vet for a check up and blood work, couldn't be happier! :)