Swollen Face And Gland

Guest DunksMom

Guest DunksMom

On Sunday morning after our walk I noticed that there was a little spot on one side of Dunkin's face that was swollen. I thought he may have been stung by a bee so I gave him a dose of Benedryl and it didn't get better or worse. He was acting normal throughout the day and ate and slept fine. That night I noticed that the gland on that side was swollen as well. This morning the swelling seemed to have migrated into his snout and lip area (one side still). I gave him another dose if Benedryl and left him under the supervision of my husband. When I got home from work I checked him out and the swelling is still there, no better, no worse... Does this still sound like a bee sting or something else? Suggestions?

Guest DunksMom

I have investigated inside his mouth and can't see anything that looks abnormal. I poked and prodded inside and outside his mouth and didn't get a response. He's also chewing on that side so that makes me think its not a tooth thing...

Also, the skin I can see beneath his for seems to be a little pink/red.

One of my girls had an infected salivary gland that acted like this. She was in the hospital for three days on IV antibiotics to get it under control. Vet check as soon as you can.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think a swollen gland almost always indicates an infection rather than a reaction to a bug bite/sting.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Good thoughts it's nothing serious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My Pearl had an abscess tooth. It was on the top WAY WAY in the back. One of the really tiny ones. The first vet missed it and diagnosed her with myocitis. It's when we went for an ultrasound of her face/head because of swelling behind her eye, the specialty vet found the bad tooth.

So it's easy to miss.

Guest DunksMom

Well, we went to the vet this afternoon and she seems to think there is something going on with a tooth. So, we filled a prescription for Clavamox and Rimadyl. We're going to be scheduling a dental and possible extraction within the next month. This is the first time we've had to deal with anesthesia so DH and I are nervous :(. The doctor assured me that they are very familiar with greys and have had lots of practice (the clinic manager has 3 greys at all times!) so that made me feel a little better but still nervous...

If you give him fish oil capsules, make sure to stop between 7 to 10 days before the procedure as fish oil ca act like aspirin and discourage clotting. This would be important if a tooth (or more than one) needs to be taken out.

Also, pulling teeth could be bloody so you might want to get a prescription for Amicar - this helps to make sure that clots stay intact as sometimes greyhounds can have trouble with bleeding. Even though Lucy only had to have 1 tooth out, I still put her on Amicar after the procedure.

Guest DunksMom

Maryjane - thanks for the tip, we give him salmon oil and he's a bleeder! He tore a dewclaw off and it looked like a murder scene in my house!

Dunk was his usual nervous self at the vet. A woman that was leaving saw Dunk protesting and actually pulled her car back into the parking spot to help me coax Dunk into the office! He then proceeded to pant and drool throughout the entire exam. Not too nervous to accept treats, mind you.... We've given him 3 doses of the Clavamox and Rimadyl so far and the swelling has gone down remarkably. He's just a little puffy under his eye, where it all started.

He's acting normal as can be and enjoying his walks, kongs and extra snuggle time.

Thanks everyone!

If he has an extraction pending in is future please obtain Amicar to prevent post operative gh bleeding syndrome. Not all pharmacys have it in stock and will need to order it for you. I got mine from Walgreens. 500mgs by mouth 3 times a day for 5 days starting the day of the surgery.

If he has an extraction pending in is future please obtain Amicar to prevent post operative gh bleeding syndrome. Not all pharmacys have it in stock and will need to order it for you. I got mine from Walgreens. 500mgs by mouth 3 times a day for 5 days starting the day of the surgery.

:nod