After 7 Months, Ceecee Did It!

She figured out how to come in the doggie door on her own! Now, if she would only go out on her own!

The other four go in and out in front of her several times a day. Until yesterday, she would run up the ramp after them, and put on the brakes in front of the door. I went through a whole package of cheese on the weekend, just sitting in front of the door while she poked her nose through to get it. She still refuses to put her nose through from the inside.

For weeks, I have been lifting the corner a little, and putting the flap on her back after she gets her front foot through. She is used to the feel of the flap on her head and back, but will not put her front foot through unless I hold the flap at least half way open. Any less, and she puts her toes through and pulls them back. I have been doing this in both directions for weeks now. Hope she figures it out soon!

Anyone else have a dog who took this long to figure it out? I have had eight other dogs use this doggie door. Seven figured it out in a day or so. The other, also a shy black greyhound bounce, took several weeks. I hope it doesn't take another seven months for her to learn how to go out!

I haven't had one take that long to learn it, but I did find that once they learned to go one way, they learned the other way quicker. I've also had some "learn" it and then become timid of it again and kind of backtrack for awhile needing help. Good job Ceecee!

All my dogs learned it rightawayquick, but Sarge took almost 6 weeks to learn it... I thought it was too small for him (he is exceptionally tall) so I bought a monster size one and replaced it... now a human can enter it... whatever... but he did seem way more comfortable once I changed to the bigger one.... but he too learned to come in, but would not go out on his own for another 2-3 weeks after he learned to come in... Thank goodness!!!

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

• 3 weeks later...

That's awesome! If she learned one way - she'll get the other pretty quick. I've never had a dog door - but I love the idea. Unfortunately, there are too many little critters that wander in our yard - and I really don't want dead/or not dead squirrels, rabbits, etc. brought in the house.

I don't have a dog door, but a good friend does and we spend a lot of time there. We're afraid to teach Sailor because he is soooooo dumb. He sometimes goes into her yard and forgets how to get back to the door. He just stands there and we need to go out and show him the way in. He always gets lost in the same spot. One week (I was watching her dogs so my dogs and I stayed there) I had to fetch him 8+ times. We're afraid if we teach him the dog door he'll forget how to come inside and be stuck outside.

Just be glad you don't need to fetch the dog from the yard.

At least Sailor is pretty.