Different Green Bag Question

OK, I know this is a silly question, but are the kibble pieces a different size and/or shape in the larger bags? I ask because we started with a small bag that calls itself "minichunks", obviously meant for smaller breeds. I am worried that if the larger bag's pieces are significantly different, the Picky Princess may be put off, although she likes the minichunks well enough, once she got past the "I can't eat this, it's different" (she might as well be a cat :rolleyes: )

Guest RMarie

OK, I know this is a silly question, but are the kibble pieces a different size and/or shape in the larger bags? I ask because we started with a small bag that calls itself "minichunks", obviously meant for smaller breeds. I am worried that if the larger bag's pieces are significantly different, the Picky Princess may be put off, although she likes the minichunks well enough, once she got past the "I can't eat this, it's different" (she might as well be a cat :rolleyes: )

Haha, yes, the kibble pieces are different. Hence the term "minichunks." ;) The minichunks are small, kind of rectangular, and (to me) a little darker in color. The large breed formula has bigger nuggets that seem a little more round, and (again, to me) are lighter in color. The formulas are also different (protein, carb, fat, fiber). We fed minichunks for a while, then rolled the dice and bought the big bag of large breed from Costco. At first, James' poops did not react well (which is when I did research and discovered the formulas are different), but eventually he was fine. (He no longer eats green bag, but that's a whole other issue)

That's what I was afraid of. Well, they mainly eat raw, this is just for an extra snack kind of thing, and the occasional "I'm in a hurry/ I forgot to defrost" meal, so we may stick with the minichunks for now. I really wanted to buy a smaller bag anyway!

I don't understand the question... LOL! I am obviously having an "off" day because I don't think it's a complicated question...

You are talking about the difference between the "Proactive Health Adult Minichunks" kibble and the "Proactive Health Adult Large Breed" kibble. About the comparitive size difference? I've never bought the large breed version so I can't say... but I have owned large breed kibble from a different manufacturer and it was most certainly larger. Actually, I personally find that many large breed formulations (as felt through the bag) are not suitable for greyhounds -- they may be tall dogs but they don't have large breed heads and mouths and some of those nuggets are a perfect size for choking.

I'm hung up on why you are equating minichunks with a smaller bag? I have always seen both formulas available in all the same bag sizes.

I'm going to toddle off now and have some caffeine. :)

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest RMarie

Our Costco doesn't carry minichunks in the huge bags; only the large breed formula. Like you, Remolacha, we were buying the small bags of minichunks for quite a while.

Well, it seemed like, when I was standing in PetSmart and staring at the Iams shelves, that the green bag came in small bags (minichunk) and larger bags (large breed? don't remember the exact wording) I didn't see a large bag of the minichunks or a small bag of the larger breed variety, hence my question. But, maybe this PM just didn't happen to carry the variety of sizes, good to know they do exist!

Our Costco doesn't carry minichunks in the huge bags; only the large breed formula. Like you, Remolacha, we were buying the small bags of minichunks for quite a while.

Oh, didn't think to look at Costco! Thanks :)

Looks like I'm the minority, but I buy the large breed formula... I like the larger pieces. It forces my guys to chew, instead of just swallowing everything whole. To me, chewing = more dental action, and my greys need all the help they can get. There is something to be said for larger chunks. Before this, we fed TOTW, which was really small pieces. Henry's teeth were worse than ever then. His teeth did improve when we switched.

I usually use minichunks but have had no trouble finding them in the large bag -- Petco, Target, Walmart here all carry it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest AngelPup

Looks like I'm the minority, but I buy the large breed formula... I like the larger pieces. It forces my guys to chew, instead of just swallowing everything whole. To me, chewing = more dental action, and my greys need all the help they can get. There is something to be said for larger chunks. Before this, we fed TOTW, which was really small pieces. Henry's teeth were worse than ever then. His teeth did improve when we switched.

I feel the same way. We've tried both the mini-chunks and the large chunks (the one with the Aussie on the bag), but not the large breed one, since I don't like the fact that the formula is different. I found a place that carries ALL the varieties and sizes of Iams in large bags, so I go there now. I don't like the mini-chunks because Brady inhales them and ends up choking on a mouthful of kibble. He is forced to chew the large kibble and I think that's better for his teeth too.

The size of the bag doesn't matter. Most brands come in "for large breed" which are bigger chunks and "for small breed" which are smaller chunks. The food is the same formula - just different size pieces.

I generally buy the big bag - in the "for smaller breed" version. My Diana just seems to "like" the smaller pieces better. But - not all places carry the larger bags of food in the "smaller breed" version.

When she was younger - Diana would eat anything - but now that she's older and doesn't inhale everything that isn't nailed down - she prefers the small chunk version. Unless DH is feeding her - then she won't eat unless he puts "something special" on top !!!

The size of the bag doesn't matter. Most brands come in "for large breed" which are bigger chunks and "for small breed" which are smaller chunks. The food is the same formula - just different size pieces.

I generally buy the big bag - in the "for smaller breed" version. My Diana just seems to "like" the smaller pieces better. But - not all places carry the larger bags of food in the "smaller breed" version.

When she was younger - Diana would eat anything - but now that she's older and doesn't inhale everything that isn't nailed down - she prefers the small chunk version. Unless DH is feeding her - then she won't eat unless he puts "something special" on top !!!

ETA- Diana does not chew any kibble. I've never seen a grey chew kibble, although I know some do.