Scrape On Hip - She Won't Stop Licking It

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Pari has a dime size scrape on her upper thigh. I have no idea how it happened. I saw it yesterday but it was a scab. Today she must have gotten the scab off because it's now an open wound. I know what to do to clean it, etc but she won't stop licking it! Do I get a cone of shame?? I have one from Sara but it will be too big. Not sure what else. It's in such a bad spot for covering and my question is, should I cover it or leave it open to breather? I was thinking of putting a pair of underwear on her to cover it. What are everyone's thoughts?

On a side note, this has me very upset. When we lost Sara, her injury started as a small cut by her amp spot. It opened up like you would not believe and in 48 hours she was gone. Granted, the vet said it looked like the cancer had come back and attacked when it hit the open air but Pari's little wound just has me so upset.

Hey Christine,

yes, cover it up with underwear, cut up shorts, anything to keep her from getting at it... I would also put some antibiotic ointment/cream on it to help heal... come of shame or muzzle with stool guard are a bit much right now, while she's with you... try that and if you leave the house, then you can try the cone of shame or muzzle...

Looking forward to meeting this little bundle of joy soon...

Claudia

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Yes, definitely prevent her from licking it, as this will prevent it from healing. Muzzles are great for this, since it's much easier for them to move around than when they wear a cone, and they can still drink easily. If she's not a muzzle-wearer, then on goes the cone. It's best to keep the wound clean and open to it will heal faster.

Ace had an almost identical owie. Small silk boxer shorts did the trick. She would just keep licking at it otherwise.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I second the clothing suggestions. I had a few leg/elbow cuts that were driving me crazy because Teague kept licking and reopening them. I tried wrap, bitter stuff, and even a special bandage with pepper on it. Nothing worked. Then I put a big shirt on him and it healed right up. It didn't bother him at all either like a muzzle or cone would have.

I second the clothing suggestions. I had a few leg/elbow cuts that were driving me crazy because Teague kept licking and reopening them. I tried wrap, bitter stuff, and even a special bandage with pepper on it. Nothing worked. Then I put a big shirt on him and it healed right up. It didn't bother him at all either like a muzzle or cone would have.

Can I ask a silly question? What size shirt do you use? I tried one of my husband's v-neck tees and pinned it up on the sides but it was still too big. Maybe a kid's?

We use Scarlet Oil on their wounds. I can see the wound healing from day to day. Of course muzzle cup and shorts for sure. We also wrap a towel around them and tie it on them with the bottom edge of a t-shirt. We cut the bottom of t-shirts off, about 1 or 2 inches. They make for good ties.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

We had a similar situation with our Gila recently, a tear in the skin on her front paw a couple of inches long. We rushed her to the vet, who, to our amazement, suggested we just let it be. I argued that she would keep licking it and make it worse, he said that was unlikely, she'll actually keep it clean. It's the bandages that the dog will try to get off. I suggested stitches or staples, he said no, the skin was pretty thin there, and they probably wouldn't hold, and the dog would try to pull them out. He explained that the new feeling among many vets, is let the dog take care of it, and everyone will be better off. We left the office with just a shot of antibiotics. He was right, Gila licked it occasionally, but not obsessively, and the would healed very quickly.