Bumblebee Encounter...now Heaving

Guest RMarie

James has a thing for going after bees. Today he snapped and killed a bumblebee. I told him to leave it and then stepped inside to grab something at which point he ate the bee. Not 15 minutes later on our way to the gym, James throws up the bee and some liquid in my back seat. When I got him out of the car, all he wanted to do was eat grass. He kept heaving, quietly extending his neck like he was going to hack, but not actually hacking like he does on dry kibble. I let him eat a little grass then took him inside the gym and fed him some tortilla chips to help eliminate what I imagine was a nasty taste in his mouth. Several hours later he's starting to do this heaving stuff again. He ate his dinner just fine, no more vomiting. But, he seems a bit off and still wants to go outside and eat grass. We shined a flashlight into his mouth and don't see any obvious stings or redness. Should we give him Benadryl anyway? What about Pepto?

Edited to add: He's finally laying down on the couch and isn't heaving. Poor little guy. Sadly, I don't think he'll learn his lesson. :(

Edited by RMarie

Benadryl! My guy just went through the same thing. Benadryl is a rather benign drug-wont hurt. 1mg/lb every 8 hours for the next few days. Remember-no decongestant (D).

Thanks!!! He's snoozing away on the couch, but every now and then he does some heaving and heavy swallowing.

Poor baby! I hope he is feeling better tomorrow.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

A regular bee, or one of those giant buzzing bumblebees? The latter don't sting, but the former do. If it was a bee that can sting, I would definitely do Benadryl as he may have been stung internally. I would also try a little raw honey as it may sooth his throat regardless of whether he was stung or it's just irritation from the bee going down. Poor guy. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Poor baby! Hope he feels better soon!

Summer got stung in the mouth yesterday by a wasp so I feel your panic! Thankfully, I have a friend with a greyhound who is a vet tech and I texted her for the dosage/frequency, saving me from trying to look it up here. I now have a great big note stuck to the (new) box of Benadryl pills.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

We ended up giving him Benadryl last night before bed. He slept in his crate and I "slept" (not) on the couch to make sure he was ok. He wasn't doing any of that heavy swallowing, heaving stuff this morning, though he did still seem "off." Hopefully, he takes today to bounce back and is his normal happy self when we arrive home this evening.

The big fuzzy bees commonly known as bumblebees don't have stingers.

How do I know this? Because my father and his brothers, when they were little boys, used to catch them and tie a piece of thread around them, and fly them! True story!

What can I say? They were apparently those kinds of boys. You know, when kids used to play with frogs and throw worms at each other, and no one used hand santizer on them afterward.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Some bumblebees do have stingers and do sting.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

See, I get conflicting opinions as to whether bumblebees sting. I've heard they do and don't; I've heard females do, but males don't; also heard they bite, not sting. I swear I stepped on one as a child and got stung. Never gone barefoot in grass since. Whatever bumblebees do, it clearly didn't sit well with James.

Looked up bumblebees and found this:

Queen and worker bumblebees can sting. Unlike a honey bee's stinger, a bumblebee's stinger lacks barbs, so it can sting repeatedly without injuring itself. Bumblebee species are not normally aggressive, but will sting in defense of their nest, or if harmed.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Ouch! Sounds painful. I was positive the bee was dead before he ate it, but maybe it was just beat up. Course, it could have stung him when he chomped down, though he didn't let out the GSOD like I would expect if he'd been stung. Who knows what happened...

Looked up bumblebees and found this:

Queen and worker bumblebees can sting. Unlike a honey bee's stinger, a bumblebee's stinger lacks barbs, so it can sting repeatedly without injuring itself. Bumblebee species are not normally aggressive, but will sting in defense of their nest, or if harmed.

Oh no!!

Well, I guess if Dad were alive, I'd have to break the news to him! Thanks. Learn something new every day!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Some bumblebees do sting...even if one is minding one's own business, sitting on the beach in San Diego watching children play. Some do have stingers that leave huge red welts on some people...;-)

My 2 ¢

Well, whatever it was about the bee that made him throw it back up must be making its way through his digestive system, as now he seems to be heading towards the big D. :dunno