Veterinary Behaviorist Recs?

Has anyone worked with a veterinary behaviorist that they would recommend who is willing to do phone consults? There is only one in my area, whom I've worked with a couple of times with foster dogs, but she only does in home consults and they are PRICEY. I still have a call in to her to see if she'd consider a phone consult, or a shortened home consult, but I want to explore other options.

I'm thinking a veterinary behaviorist would be the best person to work with me on addressing any potential anxiety or stress that could lead to Violet having another rhabdo episode.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The brilliant folks at Tufts. I think there's something like a flat fee (in 2010, it was $250) that will cover a period of consultations. Jen Bachelor worked with them for her noise-phobic dog Reagan. See here for Tufts: http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petfax/

See here for Jen's posts about Reagan: http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/search/label/Reagan%20Fears

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

The brilliant folks at Tufts. I think there's something like a flat fee (in 2010, it was $250) that will cover a period of consultations. Jen Bachelor worked with them for her noise-phobic dog Reagan. See here for Tufts: http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petfax/

See here for Jen's posts about Reagan: http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/search/label/Reagan%20Fears

Thanks, I had them in the back of my mind for some reason, will check those links out.

I did remember there is one other option locally, but they have a clinic you take your dog to. I just called them and if my vet emails the vet behv there, she will consult with my vet for free, so that may actually be my best option so I can keep my vet in the loop. But I'm going to keep checking out other options as well.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You had mentioned that she gets stressed in the car and it was because of that incident with the leash. Dogs have a rather narrowly focused memory (sometimes) and it could be that she is going to get stressed out "only in the car where the leash incident took place".

Once she is better and completely over her current mishap, maybe have a friend bring over their car (mini-van would be best) and take her for a long ride in that car and see if the same symptoms appear. Knowing that it only happens in your car would make desensitizing possibly easier by just building up the activities that you do in the car. Either that, or just buy a new car :colgate

We've noticed that Shane's episodes are preceded by car rides too, and we have a couple theories about how that happened. In any case, we've decided to start taking him for car rides in a different car than the one we've been using and for short durations initially, gradually extending the time. We're also not going to stop anywhere in particular, as ending in an unpleasant or ambiguous place is part of the problem. In short, we'll be going for "pointless" rides.

For what it's worth, we think everything with Shane is complicated by ongoing pain (LSS, arthritis, etc.). So we'll see if having him back on daily Tramadol helps too. Good luck with Violet.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

We have gone the "try a different car-buy a different car" route with bleu. Also short car rides to get a happy meal, ice cream, run at the ball park, beautiful arboritum for walk and treats, ect......not quite sure how to measure success????? Bleus three rhabdo episodes have been stress induced - twice car induced. We normally get a petsitter and don't take the doggies with us anymore :( We did take bleu on a trip this summer -four hours in the car -we did not premedicate her - on vets advice we stopped every 45 minutes and made her get out of the car for a short walk and water bowl- he says this keeps the toxins from building the whole trip to release upon arrival and release of stress of riding (probably not explaining this very well) but she did ok and that's all that matters,

Edited by teri_d

This is all still so scary. I knew what rhabdo was but it hasn't affected anyone I know.

I hope you can make some headway with her, Jen, as I'm pretty sure that getting a new car just isn't really an option!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

This is all still so scary. I knew what rhabdo was but it hasn't affected anyone I know.

I hope you can make some headway with her, Jen, as I'm pretty sure that getting a new car just isn't really an option!

gathering from our vet, teddy palmer and the e-vet folks in kc (who treated bleu twice) rhabdo or "stress rider syndrome" is very very rare.

gathering from our vet, teddy palmer and the e-vet folks in kc (who treated bleu twice) rhabdo or "stress rider syndrome" is very very rare.

Yeah, I think the way it's popped up for both Bleu and Violet is very unusual.

I'm not certain I'm correct about this, but I think the alkalosis would be indicated by the urine pH so I am going to dig up those strips they sell (yes, I have them from when Neyla had kidney issues :blush) and start measuring Violet's urine. Then if I have a baseline, I figure I can test during/after car rides to see if that's what's going on, or have a clue when she might be at risk.

And yes Kristin, a new car is not an option! :lol

leave it to violet and bleu - huh Jen ??? Our vet has only had one other rhabdo dog in all his years of practice -- teddy is the guru who originally suggested the possibility of rhabdo and had the e vet clinic in kc scrambling to research and confirm. it is extremely rare. too weird the way Jens and my paths have crossed in the last few years.... I'm going to try and meet you next time we come to Maryland to visit our son!!!