A Mutt, But Still A Love

Guest Impossiblealto

Guest Impossiblealto

Smokey is a greyhound-pit bull mix, but he acts most like a greyhound. He is currently a foster, but after a couple weeks, everyone at home has practically fallen in love with him. He loves to destroy basketballs, go for bike rides, eat chicken and steak, and curl up next to me in bed. This little mongrel has been bounced around homes because of his terrible separation anxiety, but joining this forum has helped me find lots of advice and connect with other greyhound lovers out there dealing with the same issues. Smokey is five years old and his birthday is July 4th!

We live on Long Island (New York), and have a hard time finding other dogs he can play with - he is

playful with me, but can be selective about other dogs (he usually just ignores them). He has a cocker spaniel brother who is six months older than him.

1185655_230690100414177_1156709494_n.jpg

Wow. That's freaky! It's like someone photoshopped a pit bull head onto a greyhound body!

Nice colours. :)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Impossiblealto

Thanks everyone! Ha, the shelter put him down as a dobermann-pit mix but I did a little research and soon figured out that he's a lurcher (a sighthound mixed with any non-sighthound breed). They're mostly used for hunting, but this one was dumped at the shelter as a three month old puppy, so therefore he's my little house pet :).

1185039_230710787078775_511577377_n.jpg

He's a stunning dog!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Welcome to GT! There are a few lurchers here too.

What a handsome lad, Smokey's a beautiful colour. I've a staffy x greyhound lurcher on foster, she is similar to my greyhounds but is more people orientated and very licky like SBT, plus she snores! I get the impression that separation anxiety is common with the bull lurchers, thankfully Pru is ok being left a few hours.

Pru

9209108085_a53e30d7b1.jpg

Edited by moofie

Guest Impossiblealto

Welcome to GT! There are a few lurchers here too.

What a handsome lad, Smokey's a beautiful colour. I've a staffy x greyhound lurcher on foster, she is similar to my greyhounds but is more people orientated and very licky like SBT, plus she snores! I get the impression that separation anxiety is common with the bull lurchers, thankfully Pru is ok being left a few hours.

Pru

9209108085_a53e30d7b1.jpg

Say hello to Pru from Smokey and I! She's an absolute beauty! Those striking amber eyes against the subtle, smokey-grey coat.....stunning.

Smokes is definitely more people-orientated. He doesn't always take to other dogs - not in a bad way - he just isn't playful.

He's gorgeous! I have a sighthound/pitbull (staffie)/husky mix. You can see each breed in her, but when you put it altogether you would never guess! :)

Ha, that sounds like quite a dog! Must be better off in the winter though ;)

He looks great! It really does look like you photoshoped the head of a pitt on a greyhound body!

Welcome from Québec, Canada

:)

Yep, it does (I promise I didn't though) :) Thank you!

And thank you everyone for your lovely comments! I'm happy to be here and talk to all of you!

Would definitely like to see more pictures of Smokey. I think Pru would love to play with him, does he tend to barge with those chunky shoulders & be a bit rough playing too? My greys don't appreciate it but just outrun her.

Glad he found his way to shelter while young, some lurchers the rescue gets from the pound are broken from hunting or in a poor state.

The bull type lurchers were fashionable for a while with british hunters but less so now, and are harder to rehome like staffies. Had Pru on foster 10 months with just 1 enquiry, but I love having her here.

Edited by moofie

Guest Impossiblealto

Would definitely like to see more pictures of Smokey. I think Pru would love to play with him, does he tend to barge with those chunky shoulders & be a bit rough playing too? My greys don't appreciate it but just outrun her.

Glad he found his way to shelter while young, some lurchers the rescue gets from the pound are broken from hunting or in a poor state.

The bull type lurchers were fashionable for a while with british hunters but less so now, and are harder to rehome like staffies. Had Pru on foster 10 months with just 1 enquiry, but I love having her here.

I think so too! He does indeed! I throw the basketball for him and he absolutely destroys it! He wasn't raised as a hunting dog but he definitely has the energy and instinct. That's sad what other lurchers have to go through though.

Yeah, especially in America, there are less and less people willing to take in a pitbull mix (they can't differentiate between Staffordshire Terrier types and Pit Bull Terrier types - they all just call them pitbull). My shelter has over 50% pits or pit mixes.

Problem is I don't trust many people with this dog - when walking him you have to be very alert and quick. He sees a cat or squirrel and tries to run after it. He needs a Gentle Leader headcollar and someone with the nerves and energy to put up with him. But at the end of the day, when he snuggles up to you, you know it's totally worth the trouble :)

I'm currently trying to train him in agility, to help burn all the excess energy.

Problem is around here we don't have a lot of greyhound types and it's difficult to socialize him, which is what he needs most.