Guest Annie_Bon_Annie

Guest Annie_Bon_Annie

I'd like to introduce myself : I'm Sue, a retired nurse and I live in Towson, Maryland with my hubby- Henry and my son- Diedrich. We've been owned by pups since 1990. We've had two Greys in our mouse house and the first one was Annie whom we removed from an abusive home. The poor girl was so shy and frightened that it took our two standard Poodles to get her out from her crate. She developed into the funniest girl who eventually ruled the roost around here. She lived till the age of 11 and died in my arms from a probable heart attack. This was devastating to the family and our other 2 dogs. Then I rescued another girl from a kill box in Conn. She was a challenge in the beginning but became my 'velcro' dog. I was even able to let her off lead when we went hiking and she never left my side. Osteo-carcinoma took her from me this past February. When I figure out how to import pictures I'll send them along.

We also the proud owners of a particularly dumb Borzoi that was also a rescue. She had been found in Texas either lost or abandoned. The GUR helped move her up to Ohio where I went to get her. She had been in a horrid accident sometime in her 'free' life and she had a crushed pelvis and hip. It had never been diagnosed until she started to limp and an x-ray showed the damage. We kept her till she let me know she was ready for the bridge. I honored her request and still ;miss her dreadfully. She loved to 'sing' and gave off soft 'roos' in the house at all times of the day and night. Talk to her and she'd roo back at you. Our two standard Poodles were magnificent pets that were a bit too smart for us. Buckwheat learned how to open the refrigerator door and Bullwinkle protected us form all sorts of imaginary monsters. We lost both of them to cancer. We added a Scottish Deerhound to our family and he's the same delight that our Greys have been. It's terrible but he thinks that deer are big dogs and always wants to play with them. He learned the hard way what the rutting season is all about. He is faster than a deer and proved it when he was chased by a buck in rut.

We became the owners of a Cocker Spaniel when we discovered it tied to our front door. He was so matted and starved out that we couldn't determine his sex. We got him to the vets to straighten him out as it were and he ended up having surgery to remove all sorts of metal and plastic bits from his stomach and intestines. He's a real character and a totally devoted pet.

I've fostered Greys and I am presently training my Deerhound for rally competition. What else to say? I'm here and still looking for another Grey to add to the pack. I'd like an older hound that hasn't yet found a forever home. The older ones seem to be glossed over when put up against the younger pups. Anybody know of an older hound that wants or needs a new home?

Where are you. Connecticut greyhound adoption has a ten year old.

ETA...just saw that you were in Maryland.....

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I just had the Savannah Humane Society refer me to a lady that had a 13 year old Greyhound for give away. I called a dear friend of mine with two greyhounds and she and her husband wanted to take her permanently. She is about 10-15 lbs. overweight and had to have most of her teeth pulled, but she will live out the rest of her life taken care of. So, hang in there because I know the right oldie will come along. And welcome!

:wave Welcome! I know the right senior is just waiting for you. It's a bit of a haul, but there's some oldies here that certainly could fill the bill. .http://www.gpaseniorsanctuary.org/OurDogs.htm and here: http://www.joeysgreyhoundfriends.org/oldies.html

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Annie_Bon_Annie

My deepest thanks to everyone! I have looked at a couple of sites for the elderly pups and was in the process of selecting one (if that is possible) when an MRI showed spinal stenosis and collapse of three of my Thorasic spinal processes. Next month I go in for more surgery but I have to start physical therapy first. This will make the sixth surgery on may back so it's getting to be a routine for me. I have to put my plans on hold till the middle or late September when I know I'll be independent in everything I do. I don't want to take on a pup when I know I'm going to be on short term narcotics and not walking very well.

I'm saddened and depressed by this but it gives me a goal to work toward. I hate the thought of wearing that awful brace again.