Guest AngelPup

Guest AngelPup

The good news is that the vet didn't see any evidence of hookworm in his stool (or any other parasite)--YAY!

Unfortunately, nobody could read any of the handwritten notes that were faxed over from Brady's vet, so I had to fill them in as best I could as to what we've tried up to this point and what the results were.

I was reassured that all the things we have tried to date were standard protocol, but this vet suggested the food trial route first before going for any more testing. She said that we would still need to find a food that agrees with him even with a diagnosis of something. She did find a small amount of blood in his stool but didn't notice any mucus (although I have on occasion). She said that dogs who have blood and mucus in their stool typically have colitis. So that's a new potential diagnosis.

I asked her about the pancreatic enzyme deficiency test and she said that dogs with an enzyme deficiency tend to have watery stool. Sometimes she will give a dog enzyme supplements to see if that helps even on dogs that come back negative for that. She also said that Tylan powder can help treat dogs with chronic diarrhea. Because we have no idea how long Brady has been suffering with diarrhea and hookworms, his intestines could potentially be significantly damaged.

She said that beet pulp (AGAIN with the magic ingredient!) can help, so she recommended that I pick up a small bag of Bil-Jac and put a small amount of that in his bland diet for the time being to see if that helps. I asked about Iams because I know that has beet pulp in it and she said that she only recommended Bil-Jac because she's had such good results with it and they were the first to put beet pulp in their food. She said to continue with the bland diet for a while with pasta and chicken or turkey and continue to add either pumpkin or sweet potato, since that would also help. I need to go back in a couple weeks for a recheck. She also wants me to bring a stool sample in a month and they would send it out to be tested (not sure why she was going to send it out, but will ask next time).

This vet seemed to really like greyhounds--she called them 'cool dogs'. She kept saying how handsome he was and told me about her brother who has two greyhounds. One of which was diagnosed with cancer. She amputated his leg and he seems to be doing much better even after almost two years post op. She also said that Brady was at a good weight--from sight, since they didn't weight him.

So, on my way home I stopped at Petsmart to compare the Bil-Jac to Iams...ingredients were pretty similar and both had beet pulp. BUT Iams was almost half the price, so I picked up a small bag of that. Hopefully it will help.

And that is were we stand right now. I really hope the Iams works. I did notice Wednesday night and all day yesterday that Brady's poops were getting larger and mushier and he was going much more often--similar to what I was seeing when I started this thread, so maybe the 4Health didn't agree with him either? Or maybe I'm just putting too much pumpkin. Who knows. But I'll try doing what the new vet suggested and see how that goes.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chardae

Well good news on the parasite issue.....and great news that Brady's weight seems good! When my two greys had serious GI disease, weight loss was the first sign.

Interesting about the Bil Jac, my vet recommended the same thing to give firm stools. Iams green bag did the trick, though......unfortunately, Iams causes my white poodle to have reddish brown staining. He's eaten other foods containing beet pulp with no problems...so that's been frustrating.

We're trying Dr. Tim's Kinesis right now, as it's one of the few so-called "high quality" foods with beet pulp, and I plan to add Vetri Probiotic chews for Katey. I found they contain the same digestive pre biotic "FOS" that Iams puts in their food (and hardly anyone else does).....maybe that's one of Iams' "magic" stool hardening ingredients....LOL.

Good luck with Brady!

Guest AngelPup

Well good news on the parasite issue.....and great news that Brady's weight seems good! When my two greys had serious GI disease, weight loss was the first sign.

Interesting about the Bil Jac, my vet recommended the same thing to give firm stools. Iams green bag did the trick, though......unfortunately, Iams causes my white poodle to have reddish brown staining. He's eaten other foods containing beet pulp with no problems...so that's been frustrating.

We're trying Dr. Tim's Kinesis right now, as it's one of the few so-called "high quality" foods with beet pulp, and I plan to add Vetri Probiotic chews for Katey. I found they contain the same digestive pre biotic "FOS" that Iams puts in their food (and hardly anyone else does).....maybe that's one of Iams' "magic" stool hardening ingredients....LOL.

Good luck with Brady!

Thanks chardae! Hopefully this will be a turning point and things will get better going forward. Fingers, toes and paws crossed!

Good news! Glad there is no sign of parasites. That's huge to finally be rid of them. Hopefully this will be just food related now and you will find something that works for Brady.

I am glad your new vet does have some experience with hounds. Did you feel better with this vet?

Keep us posted! Good luck Brady you can do this......

Guest AngelPup

Good news! Glad there is no sign of parasites. That's huge to finally be rid of them. Hopefully this will be just food related now and you will find something that works for Brady.

I am glad your new vet does have some experience with hounds. Did you feel better with this vet?

Keep us posted! Good luck Brady you can do this......

Thanks Zizi! We're getting there...slowly, but surely.

There are pros and cons to both vets, but I have to say that I like this new vet's treatment philosophy better (it's more down to earth and much less expensive) and the fact that she seems to like Greyhounds and has more experience with them is a HUGE plus for me. I also had a better first impression with this latest one, but I like to have a few experiences with them before making a judgment call (or deciding which one I'll stick with). It's funny that this one asked whether he has learned stairs yet (short flights only so far) and the vet tech mused at how retired racers have to learn how to do everything like having a baby in the house... (the other vet recommended that we don't even try to teach him because he might get seriously hurt). Neither one of them had anything negative to say about the breed, the racing industry, etc., so that was refreshing. The other positive was that it's located slightly closer to my home and their hours of operation are longer, which are both more convenient.

It was also the least expensive vet visit I've every had with Brady, but in fairness to the other vet, it's also the first time I haven't had to purchase meds and/or pay for lab work.

I'm going to see how it goes and maybe speak with someone there about what exactly they provide, get pricing to compare with what I spent at the other vet, etc. and get more experience with this new vet before officially switching.

Thanks Zizi! We're getting there...slowly, but surely.

There are pros and cons to both vets, but I have to say that I like this new vet's treatment philosophy better (it's more down to earth and much less expensive) and the fact that she seems to like Greyhounds and has more experience with them is a HUGE plus for me. I also had a better first impression with this latest one, but I like to have a few experiences with them before making a judgment call (or deciding which one I'll stick with). It's funny that this one asked whether he has learned stairs yet (short flights only so far) and the vet tech mused at how retired racers have to learn how to do everything like having a baby in the house... (the other vet recommended that we don't even try to teach him because he might get seriously hurt). Neither one of them had anything negative to say about the breed, the racing industry, etc., so that was refreshing. The other positive was that it's located slightly closer to my home and their hours of operation are longer, which are both more convenient

It was also the least expensive vet visit I've every had with Brady, but in fairness to the other vet, it's also the first time I haven't had to purchase meds and/or pay for lab work.

I'm going to see how it goes and maybe speak with someone there about what exactly they provide, get pricing to compare with what I spent at the other vet, etc. and get more experience with this new vet before officially switching.

I hope you continue to have a positive experience with the new vet. Sounds like she has an interest in the breed. The stairs issue says a lot to me. I had to teach Jerzi the stairs and if a vet told me not to I would have gotten upset. Yes they can get hurt but guess what there's a lot of other things they can get hurt on so should we keep them sheltered?

Guest AngelPup

I hope you continue to have a positive experience with the new vet. Sounds like she has an interest in the breed. The stairs issue says a lot to me. I had to teach Jerzi the stairs and if a vet told me not to I would have gotten upset. Yes they can get hurt but guess what there's a lot of other things they can get hurt on so should we keep them sheltered?

I hope so too! And yes, it did upset me that the first vet didn't think it was a good idea to teach him the stairs. Yes, he could get hurt, but like you said, he could get hurt (and has gotten hurt) just running in the back yard... Plus, I think it's safer if he DOES know how to go up and down stairs and it will also open up more positive experiences for him. The only reason we haven't taught him to go downsairs to our basement is because it's kind of in disarray right now--not completely finished (due to water heater flooding the basement) and there are a lot of things downstairs we don't want him getting into. Hopefully, our basement/family room will be refinished soon and he can join us down there to watch TV. ~ ; )

Guest AngelPup

So far, so GOOD! :thumbs-up I'm afraid to get too excited, but it really seems as though his digestive issues are disappearing. I've worked slowly up to 3/4 of a cup of the Iams with the bland diet and pumpkin. I also added back the FortiFlora, since I had it on hand anyway. His stools are getting darker and firmer. He still has some that look a bit soft and is going three or four times a day instead of the two, but they are still much easier to pick up than in the past. The new vet also suggested that we use his food and/or baked, sliced sweet potatoes as treats, so we've been doing that too. :chow

:bow I think the magic beet pulp did it!! :bow2 I'll REALLY be excited if he continues to improve or even stays the way he is now once he's fully transitioned over to the Iams. I just can't wait to get beyond this issue so I can move on to more FUN adventures with him! :gh_bow

Guest RMarie

I 100% DITTO the recommendation to use his food as treats. That's what we had to do with James until his gut settled down. Yeah, it sucks that you can't spoil him with yummy treats, but it's way better than dealing with poo problems.

Keep up the good poop! :catscat (I know this is technically a cat, but the action is so appropriate)

Guest AngelPup

I 100% DITTO the recommendation to use his food as treats. That's what we had to do with James until his gut settled down. Yeah, it sucks that you can't spoil him with yummy treats, but it's way better than dealing with poo problems.

Keep up the good poop! :catscat (I know this is technically a cat, but the action is so appropriate)

LOL! Thanks. Brady, thankfully, will eat anything (well, except for raw carrots, go figure) and LOVES his sweet potato chips, so we've been using those and his Iams kibble for treats and training. He keeps looking up at the Milkbone box, so I'm sure he misses them, but he'll live. ~ ; )

Yay!!! Another Iams success story! Fingers crossed it continues to work. :goodluck

THANKS!!

Great!!! If the Iams continues to work, stick with it, no matter how tempting a "better" food may grab your attention. Some Greys just have innards that don't do well on much of anything. My Annie is one of them, and every time I tried a "better" food, her poo deteriorated. Once back on Iams, it was fine. I am no longer tempted.

Guest AngelPup

Great!!! If the Iams continues to work, stick with it, no matter how tempting a "better" food may grab your attention. Some Greys just have innards that don't do well on much of anything. My Annie is one of them, and every time I tried a "better" food, her poo deteriorated. Once back on Iams, it was fine. I am no longer tempted.

Yeah, I am DEFINITELY sticking with Iams if this works!

~ ; )

Guest chardae

Great news on the Iams, AngelPup......I know the feeling when it kicks in and......... at last.....you can pick up poops without leaving a mess behind!!!! If you have no reason to leave Iams,.....don't!

Guest AngelPup

Great news on the Iams, AngelPup......I know the feeling when it kicks in and......... at last.....you can pick up poops without leaving a mess behind!!!! If you have no reason to leave Iams,.....don't!

Seriously! I just want to jump up and down and scream, "YAY, YAY, YAY, YAY"!!! and do the JIG! But I'm afraid still that it will be premature... You're going to see some SERIOUS dancing and hollering when he's fully and successfully transitioned!! ~ ; )

So far, so GOOD! :thumbs-up I'm afraid to get too excited, but it really seems as though his digestive issues are disappearing. I've worked slowly up to 3/4 of a cup of the Iams with the bland diet and pumpkin. I also added back the FortiFlora, since I had it on hand anyway. His stools are getting darker and firmer. He still has some that look a bit soft and is going three or four times a day instead of the two, but they are still much easier to pick up than in the past. The new vet also suggested that we use his food and/or baked, sliced sweet potatoes as treats, so we've been doing that too. :chow

:bow I think the magic beet pulp did it!! :bow2 I'll REALLY be excited if he continues to improve or even stays the way he is now once he's fully transitioned over to the Iams. I just can't wait to get beyond this issue so I can move on to more FUN adventures with him! :gh_bow

So so happy for you both! I also just use Jerzi's kibble for treats. She doesn't seem to mind at all and it works as far as the poop goes. I love iams green bag!

Guest AngelPup

I'm not sure whether I need to slow down on the transition or if he NEEDS pumpkin in his food, but late last night and again early this morning, his poops were pudding again. The only thing I changed was to increase the kibble from 1/2 to 3/4 cup and I ran out of pumpkin for his breakfast yesterday. He did go again this morning just before I left for work and it was large and soft, but formed and easy to pick up.

I guess we'll just take it EXTREMELY s l o w and keep adding a heaping tablespoon of pumpkin and see how it goes. :hope

Kinda hard to figure out because it sounds like you ran out of pumpkin and increased at the same time. I would the same that you where doing. 1/2 cup with pumpkin for the next couple feeding see if his poop comes back to normal. Than try increasing the kibble and still add the pumpkin. If his poop turns to pudding again than I would have to guess its the increase in food.

Guest AngelPup

Kinda hard to figure out because it sounds like you ran out of pumpkin and increased at the same time. I would the same that you where doing. 1/2 cup with pumpkin for the next couple feeding see if his poop comes back to normal. Than try increasing the kibble and still add the pumpkin. If his poop turns to pudding again than I would have to guess its the increase in food.

I stayed the course yesterday with 3/4 cup of Iams, a heaping tablespoon of pumpkin, and his bland diet. So far, so good. He's back to formed, albeit soft, stools. I think he REALLY needs more fiber in his diet, so when I didn't add the pumpkin it showed.

So far, it appears that pumpkin - Iams = pudding, and Iams - pumpkin = pudding, but Iams + pumpkin = :yay

I kind of wish that Iams had BOTH beet pulp AND pumpkin or sweet potato. Would certainly make things a bit easier. ~ ; )

Great, you are on to something at least! Maybe someone will have an idea of what else to use to get more fiber. I think I read a thread on here about using Metamucil. That they added that to the food. Is he off of the bland diet totally?

Guest AngelPup

Great, you are on to something at least! Maybe someone will have an idea of what else to use to get more fiber. I think I read a thread on here about using Metamucil. That they added that to the food. Is he off of the bland diet totally?

Yeah, I'm sure that fiber is a good thing for him. And I'm glad that the Iams seems to at least be helping with forming his stools. But I'm still a bit concerned that he's going much more often. But maybe that is par for the course with added fiber and/or beet pulp. He's still on the bland diet, although I've been cutting that back as I've added more Iams. I think I'm going to decrease that even more (without adding any more Iams), to see if that helps. Maybe I'm just feeding him too much.

I'll see what the new vet says when I see her next. I was thinking about swapping out the pasta for oatmeal, since it has more fiber and is easy to digest, but I'm hesitant to make any more changes right now.

Guest AngelPup

:yay:pepper:mexi2 It ROLLED, his poop ROLLED!!!! :mexi2:pepper:yay

I saw it with my own two eyeballs! He always goes on the mulch in the backyard and instead of plopping down and sticking together like they usually do, they dropped and rolled down the slight hill toward the grass! YAY!!!

This is by FAR the best I've ever seen him produce....I'm so proud. :::sniff, sniff:::

I realize that this celebration is premature, but I'm so darn happy! I feel like I've been on a never-ending emotional roller coaster with this poop issue, and am FINALLY reaching the top of the last hill! Oh please, oh please, oh please, let it all be down hill from here! :hope

Guest RMarie

:balloonparty Congrats!

Btw, when we first switched to Iams, James pooped a lot. But, he got used to it and now only poops 2-3 times/day.

Guest AngelPup

:balloonparty Congrats!

Btw, when we first switched to Iams, James pooped a lot. But, he got used to it and now only poops 2-3 times/day.

Thanks! That's good to know about the transition to Iams. I was getting concerned that he'd go even more often the more Iams I gave him. Two to three times a day is good! Yesterday, he went five or six times, but we went for a walk and then I took him to Petsmart, so there was exersize and excitement involved there... That may have also contributed to the soft stools. Today he went three times and they were all good. ~ ; )