Guest AngelPup

:yay:pepper:mexi2 It ROLLED, his poop ROLLED!!!! :mexi2:pepper:yay

I saw it with my own two eyeballs! He always goes on the mulch in the backyard and instead of plopping down and sticking together like they usually do, they dropped and rolled down the slight hill toward the grass! YAY!!!

This is by FAR the best I've ever seen him produce....I'm so proud. :::sniff, sniff:::

I realize that this celebration is premature, but I'm so darn happy! I feel like I've been on a never-ending emotional roller coaster with this poop issue, and am FINALLY reaching the top of the last hill! Oh please, oh please, oh please, let it all be down hill from here! :hope

Fabulous! I am so happy to read this.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AngelPup

And I was SO happy to type it!! I increased to one cup of the Iams and decreased the bland diet even more. He seems so much more happy and content--not sure if my mood is rubbing off on him or whether he just feels much better...probably both. Anyway, his last few stools have been small, well formed, normal colored, and SO easy to pick up. :thumbs-up

I'm much more confident that this will now be the norm, even after I eliminate the bland diet and pumpkin.

Guest OPointyDog

Hooray!!! Sounds like success!! And it is pretty exciting when the output becomes easy to pick up, doesn't it? All your patience and hard work is paying off.

The amount of fiber in Iams wasn't enough for our guy - so we switched to Purina DCO, which is a high fiber prescription food. First two ingredients are corn and beet pulp. It works for him, and at $68 for a 32lb bag, it's not THAT bad. Cheaper than a lot of the premium brands. He does poop about 4 times a day, but they're so easy to pick up that I don't mind. So if you find in the future you need more fiber, you could even get a little bag of DCO and mix some with your other food to increase the fiber. But hopefully the Iams will continue to work and all will be well!

Guest AngelPup

Hooray!!! Sounds like success!! And it is pretty exciting when the output becomes easy to pick up, doesn't it? All your patience and hard work is paying off.

The amount of fiber in Iams wasn't enough for our guy - so we switched to Purina DCO, which is a high fiber prescription food. First two ingredients are corn and beet pulp. It works for him, and at $68 for a 32lb bag, it's not THAT bad. Cheaper than a lot of the premium brands. He does poop about 4 times a day, but they're so easy to pick up that I don't mind. So if you find in the future you need more fiber, you could even get a little bag of DCO and mix some with your other food to increase the fiber. But hopefully the Iams will continue to work and all will be well!

Thanks OPD--It's like a giant weight has been lifted! I only wish I would have heeded everyone's advice and tried Iams right off the bat! It sure would have prevented a lot of frustration and expensive vet visits! Live and learn...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AngelPup

Hi Zizi! Thanks for asking! He's doing good. We had a bit of a setback the end of last week when he started to have pudding poo again. I called the new vet's office Sat morning. She wasn't there, but another vet in the practice looked over his file and I was told to restart the Flagyl 2x a day, which helped. He had a recheck yesterday and she suggested that we continue doing what we're doing for the next three days and then start to wean him off the Flagyl. She reiterated NO treats other than kibble and sliced baked sweet potato. I had stopped adding the pumpkin when I finished the last can to see how he'd do, but I'll start adding that again. She said he will likely have flare ups from time to time and she's hoping for four or less a year. So I need to call her in two weeks with an update or sooner if he starts having problems again.

I was hoping to weight him so I could see if I'm feeding him enough or too much, but he wouldn't even go into the vet's office (he doesn't like vets AND there was a very hyper/bouncy black lab in there). She came outside on the sidewalk and conducted the appointment out there. I'm DEFINITELY sticking with this vet going forward. She's SO down to earth, loves greyhounds, is accommodating to Brady's needs, AND very reasonable as far as fees go.

Hi Zizi! Thanks for asking! He's doing good. We had a bit of a setback the end of last week when he started to have pudding poo again. I called the new vet's office Sat morning. She wasn't there, but another vet in the practice looked over his file and I was told to restart the Flagyl 2x a day, which helped. He had a recheck yesterday and she suggested that we continue doing what we're doing for the next three days and then start to wean him off the Flagyl. She reiterated NO treats other than kibble and sliced baked sweet potato. I had stopped adding the pumpkin when I finished the last can to see how he'd do, but I'll start adding that again. She said he will likely have flare ups from time to time and she's hoping for four or less a year. So I need to call her in two weeks with an update or sooner if he starts having problems again.

I was hoping to weight him so I could see if I'm feeding him enough or too much, but he wouldn't even go into the vet's office (he doesn't like vets AND there was a very hyper/bouncy black lab in there). She came outside on the sidewalk and conducted the appointment out there. I'm DEFINITELY sticking with this vet going forward. She's SO down to earth, loves greyhounds, is accommodating to Brady's needs, AND very reasonable as far as fees go.

So happy you like the new vet. Sounds like you where able to at least get Brady somewhat better with her. Is he still on the iams or back on a bland diet? What is the flare up caused from? I may have missed the post where he was diagoinsed with something. Sorry if I did.

Guest AngelPup

So happy you like the new vet. Sounds like you where able to at least get Brady somewhat better with her. Is he still on the iams or back on a bland diet? What is the flare up caused from? I may have missed the post where he was diagoinsed with something. Sorry if I did.

No official diagnosis--she would need to do biopsies and other testing, which would be expensive, stressful for Brady, and is unlikely to change what we're already doing anyway. She thinks he has colitis or some other Inflammatory Bowel Disease. He's still on the Iams, since that's the only food I've tried that he can tolorate. He clearly needs fiber in his diet, so I'll just keep adding pumpkin. She's not sure what caused the flare up. It could have been the occasional Milkbone or other treat, which is why she still wants us to only give him kibble and baked sweet potato slices. We'll see how this goes and take it from there.

I asked about testing and other treatment plans, but she said we're on the 'first tier' of treatment--simple and inexpensive. If he doesn't respond or has frequent flare ups, than we would go to the next level of treatment. She said that if Brady was an older dog that just started having these symptoms, she would be suggesting further testing, but he's young and has probably had chronic diarrhea for a while (which is why he now has IBD). Sooo, the saga continues, but at least we're making progress.

Ok glad I did not miss a post with the diagoinse. I still am only using Jerzis kibble as her treats. Ya I'm a mean mom. I have only had her 7 weeks and still chicken to add anything new to her diet outta fear what will happen to her poop! She gets fed iams as well and her poop has been great! I think mean mom will be starting to add some things just to see. It seems like she is pretty settled here now so I don't worry so much about her being stressed any more. I know stress can make there bellies not happy!

Hope Brady continues to do well and this flare up is short lived.

Guest AngelPup

Thanks Zizi! Good luck trying different treats with Jerzi. It is very wise to wait until a newly adopted dog is settled before trying anything--especially if she's doing well on what you've been giving her! Brady's output stunk right from the beginning. Hopefully we can get things settled with him soon. Brady has been having some very strange looking, inconsistent stools yesterday and this morning. If it continues I'll be making another call to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks Zizi! Good luck trying different treats with Jerzi. It is very wise to wait until a newly adopted dog is settled before trying anything--especially if she's doing well on what you've been giving her! Brady's output stunk right from the beginning. Hopefully we can get things settled with him soon. Brady has been having some very strange looking, inconsistent stools yesterday and this morning. If it continues I'll be making another call to the vet tomorrow.

Oh no! Keep us posted! Fingers crossed from Brady.