Tear In Front Leg, Now Limping

Hi Everyone,

Last night Onyx was playing/running like crazy in this fenced off skate park we have around here. The terrain of the place is part grass and part concrete skate ramp. It's very uneven and has some trees with low branches, etc.. So Onyx and Jasper were running around (they only run on the grass section) and suddenly Onyx screams out in pain and is holding up his front right leg. I of course freaked out, ran over to him and when I touched his leg-there was allot of blood. I immediately leashed the boys and we walked home-Onyx pretty lame the whole time. When I examined him at home-I saw that there was a bloody gash on the back of his front leg- just above or at (?) the wrist area. There was also a smaller gash but the bleeding on the smaller gash stopped. I cleaned him up with baby soap and warm water, put pressure on it and peroxide, neosporen and wrapped it in gauze and vet-wrap. He is still very lame. We took a potty walk this morning and he was walking very slowly, if we speeded up-he would become lame. Although he was at some points walking kind of OK on grass. When I got home this morning, I re-wrapped the gash but he is holding up that leg and is still very lame in the house. It almost seems worse with the bandage on.

I am very worried. I am worried that there is something more then just a tear. Such as a fracture or torn ligament. I examined Onyx very carefully several times. I do not see swelling, the leg appears straight. Manipulating the leg a little-he is not crying or pulling away. There is no "clanking" that might indicate a fracture (but I am not vet). But he is limping regardless. I can see the gash is right at the point where he will flex his leg when moving and it might be that it "opens up" with movement. But I just don't know if a gash on the back of the front lower leg alone can cause lameness. Vet is not open today or tomorrow. I will take him in on Tuesday. But I am so freaked out. If anyone had a similar experience-I would love to hear about it.

Guest june

Has the bleeding stopped? Maybe try bandaging a bit looser or no bandage if you are able to keep an eye on him so that he doesn't lick it and make it worse. Generally minor wounds heal better when exposed to the air. Be careful with peroxide as it can damage tissue. Doesn't sound like a visit the the e-vet is needed. If not better by Tuesday I'd take him in. If it gets worse get him to the e-vet. Without seeing it that is the best I can do. Maybe someone else will have more to suggest. Sorry. It is so scary when they get hurt.

Edited by june

Could possibly be a foreign body - twig perhaps?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks. The bleeding is not as bad as yesterday but when he moves that's when it starts to bleed again. We just came back from a short potty walk. He was not great but was walking, slowly but walking. He is putting weight on the leg, when standing up but when he moves he limps. I checked pretty thorough for foreign bodies too. Does not look like it. The gash does not appear very large but I am still concerned with his general lameness. It is so scary when they get hurt all of a sudden. :(

I guess a more general question would be-can a tear right across the back of a greyhound's front leg cause lameness?

Sure it could cause lameness-he may have nicked a tendon. Personally, I would seek veterinary care. Not only does the wound need to be examined he may need antibiotics and at this point it sounds like he needs pain meds.

Certainly, there's another clinic takes covering for your vet this weekend?

I agree tbhounds. I will take him to the vet as soon as possible. Trouble is e-vet is nowhere near me and I don't drive so it would be very expensive to get there in a car service. My vet is just a block over and tends to keep cost down when he treats my animals, (unfortunately money is an issue). I have Rimadyl and have been giving him twice a day. So upsetting.

Continue with the rimadyl and keep the wound clean-don't use peroxide-plain water or a diluted chlorhexadine solution is preferred.

If you see swelling you could ice the area for a few minutes a few times a day (frozen peas work well).

Keep us posted :-)

I'd just keep it clean and bandaged overnight ...continue with the pain meds...and call your vet in the morning.

He may want to see it or just have you keep an eye on it for a day or so.

Edited to say I just realized you're in the US and it's a holiday tomorrow, but I personally, I would not make an expensive trip to the E-vet just yet.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

it never hurts to check things out w/ your vet once the holiday weekend is over. but from my personal experience comparing greys to other sighthounds & terriers which i have owned they apply for workman's comp. as soon as anything happens. they just aren't as stoic as some other breeds and put themself of r&r. if the area is red and swollen and hot then it's most likely just very sore. i irrigate wounds w/ saline solution, you washed it out already so that's done. check to make sure the bandage is not too tight. that will also cause discomfort and swelling. both of my current greys are hysterical when it comes to bandages. annie's sissor teeth chew them off no matter what i do and i've been bandaging dogs for decades. felix does the handicapped hobble and drags his leg like quasi moto when there is a bandage on. some dogs just hate bandages. try a sock while in the apt. - tape the top of it closed, over the ankle w/ duct tape. that's a tad more comfortable.

Greyhounds sure can be wimpy. Cleptogrey-I completely agree. My Afghan was tough as nails and could run and play on virtually any terrain and he never got hurt. I just can't have the same cavalier attitude with greyhounds. The good news is that Onyx is pretty much back to normal. He is walking fine, putting weight on the effected leg and I have been just cleaning the area with soap and water, and putting a very light gauze/surgical tape bandage on the area. Bleeding has stopped and Onyx is back to being active and happy. Whew! I am extremely relived. Having had hounds with horrible corn problems, a wrist fracture, and having my soul dog die of osteo just last summer, a limping greyhound just makes me very anxious. I really want to keep the current two boys healthy and happy but the skate park is now off limits for any off leash exercise. It really is too uneven, the ground is full of knots, and the concrete skate ramp is not something I want my greyhounds to run smack into. I have to start looking for some nearby ball fields to take them to for some free running. In the meantime I am glad we can just resume our normal 2 hour daily hikes to the park. :)