How Much Pumpkin ?

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

In another thread I asked about my boy's sluggish bowels...he still is a little "backed-up". I bought him two cans of organic pumpkin and was wondering how much to give him. I put two heaping spoonfuls into his dry food, he sniffed it and walked away! He is wanting canned food mixed in and I am wondering if the canned food isn't causing his sluggish bowels. He is a picky eater and won't eat dog food...he wants whatever I am eating!

Rather than just putting a couple of spoonfuls of pumpkin on top of the kibble, mix it in with some water. That is how we feed it to our dogs.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

In another thread I asked about my boy's sluggish bowels...he still is a little "backed-up". I bought him two cans of organic pumpkin and was wondering how much to give him. I put two heaping spoonfuls into his dry food, he sniffed it and walked away! He is wanting canned food mixed in and I am wondering if the canned food isn't causing his sluggish bowels. He is a picky eater and won't eat dog food...he wants whatever I am eating!

A question: You say he won't eat dog food. What does he eat? Also, an animal won't go hungry. If he doesn't like breakfast this morning, I bet he'll be hungry enough at supper to eat, but don't feed him people food during the day. He may like it and want it, but so what?

Guest OPointyDog

We put about 1/4 cup of pumpkin mixed with kibble or broken dog cookies into a kong, seal the top with peanut butter, and put it in the freezer. Ours love to eat frozen kongs with pumpkin.

It may be too much pumpkin giving your dog "sluggish" bowels. Cut back to a teaspoon, mix it in the kibble with some water or low-salt broth. I'm sure my dogs could survive on just kibble, but I stir in one teaspoon of Beneful wet food.

But as I mentioned on a previous thread, pumpkin gives my Gracie the runs. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I put one heaping tablespoon in their dishes, and then pour the kibble around it. They gobble it right up!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Guest Downtownhoundz

I am happy to report that he pooped on his own today! The vet prescribed a laxative for him, which I'll get tomorrow. He doesn't like the pumpkin..... :riphair

Guest FinnsMom

What about sprinkling a bit of all-bran cereal over his kibble. Some of the raw mix I give Finn has bone mixed in and I find giving this particular mix sometimes will make his stool hard and chalky, but the price of it can't be beat, so when I do give it, I'll sprinkle in some all-bran to keep his poops soft and easy to pass.

I've been told that pumpkin can go either way with a dog so it may be a good thing yours doesn't like it.