Hounds On Adequan

Guest MnMDogs

Guest MnMDogs

I know there are a few folks whose greys get adequan injections. Have any of you encountered a shortage? I just brought Mork in for his injection, and the vet who gave his injection told me that they're just about out and it's on back order. She had no further information and didn't know the reason or how long this shortage may last.

Anyone else getting this information from their vets? Thanks

Is switching to Cosequine or Dasaquine an option? My previous vet felt either worked equally well--injections or the supplements, it just depended on the dog and parent which fit into their lives better.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Adequan is widely used in horses, too.

It is also crazy expensive up here in Canada, so my vet recommended my horse get 'IChON' instead.

He's been on it for a few years with excellent results. I Know others who have their horses on it too.

I get it out of the US from Allivet.

http://www.allvetsupply.com/ichon.html

MIght be worth asking your vet about changing over to IChON.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest MnMDogs

Oh, that's a great suggestion! The vet doing the injection today said there's nothing comparable, but I've heard good things about those you mentioned. I've got a panicked email out to my vet about it.

In addition to helping him manage pain, like clockwork at about 2 weeks he begins to lose control of his bowels. Fortunately, he's shameless, but I would prefer not to step in surprise poop if I can avoid it (can't see that well fresh out of bed without glasses).

BatterseaBrindl, I didn't see your response, just Patricksmom's - thank you for your suggestion as well! I had never heard of that. I'll be sure to ask my vet about all of these options. I offered to buy the rest of their stock... that didn't work.

I just ordered another vial from Drs. Foster & Smith without any issue. Can you get a script and have some sent to you to have on hand? I give the injection myself and it's really no big deal (and much cheaper, thankfully!)

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest MnMDogs

Cindy - my vet still only gives IM in the lumbar region - let me find out about the script and get a vial, they can inject. How many doses is the vial? Thank you!

Carol, I give the injection subQ to Brady, alternating hips. I didn't even think about how others might do it! Anyway, he gets .2 cc per 10 lbs, so a 1.2 cc injection since he weighs 60 pounds. Each vial is 5 cc and I get 4 injections out of it. I bought a kazillion syringes, too, but you can get them for .20 each or something like that. It has helped Brady, but he has numerous issues, so it wasn't the cure-all for which I had hoped. That old guy (older body then he should have, but that's an issue for another day - he came to me that way last August and he turns 12 in June) takes a ton of supplements and meds, but he is enjoying himself so I am blessed. Poor in money, but rich in the experience.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Thanks for the heads up!

I do subQ injections for Badger at home. He weighs about 85 lbs, so he gets 1.6cc and I get 3 injections per vial. I do them on his back/neck, just above the shoulder blades, by pulling up the skin there. He would scream when the vet gave IM injections, and this is a lot easier on him! He doesn't even flinch anymore. I usually order from 1800petmeds.com and they aren't indicating any backorder on their website (but I didn't complete the checkout).

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Hummm... my horse gets bi-weekly Adequan injections. I haven't heard of any shortages here, but it might be worthwhile for me to get another vial now. I get the 10 dose vial for my horse and do the injections myself.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest MnMDogs

It's weird, my vet seems to be out, but I was able to order from Fosters and Smith... For those that inject at home, what size needle do you use?

I placed an order with 1800petmeds and it arrived this weekend. They did report being on backorder for the equine version though.

I get 22 gauge needles. Here's their description of them:

3cc (3ml) luer lock syringe with 3/4" 22 g Needle

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl.