Greyhounds And Newborn Babies (Newborn Cry)

Guest KatyC

Guest KatyC

On Saturday, Peggy heard our newborn neice cry for the same time and she went into her crazy frenzy mode :S We grabbed her collar so she couldn't get to the baby, but she had ears up, alert face and was desperate to find where the noise was coming from, she was completely wired.

Later we played a few newborn cry videos off youtube to see if she would react the same again to the noise, and she did (not quite as extreme ) but she went into alert mdoe and was searching for the noise, the second time we played it she was on her bed and had alert face but didn't bother to get up.

This scared the pants off me! Because not only do I not want her to eat my neice! Me and Jay will want to have a baby in a few years and I wouldn't want to have to worry about an insane frenzied dog everytime my baby cried.

Obviously we would never leave dog and baby unattended ever, but it would still be a worry.

Obviously we would have to work around this, as she is a part of our family the same as a child would be, but I just wondered if anyone had any advice or experience with anything similiar and dealing with it.

do you have to desensitize the dog to the newborn cries and smells etc for months before you have the baby?

We're not planning on having one for at least 2 years but I want to know what I'll be dealing with.

Also, Peggy's brother is with the sister who's just had the baby and they are having no problems with him, he isn't pahsed by her crying at all.

I can't understand the difference between two dogs, is it because one raced and one didn't?

Ant tips, advice or stories are very welcome :)

Thanks

Katy

Just like people , no two dogs are alike.

Is she exhibiting prey drive or could she just be really curious? She may just have had no idea what the noise was so she was trying to figure it out. I would keep desensitizing her since it seems to be helping.

Guest KatyC

It could be either. :S

If it is prey drive... is this something you can work out of them. Teach them that the noise isn't prey? And how the heck would you do that?!

It did kind of look like prey drive :( I just hope it wasn't really.

I've asked SIL if we can over to their house in the next few weeks with Peggy on the lead and let her hear the baby crying and see what it is (obviously not get anywhere near it though)

I think it was a noise she has never heard before and because it was high-pitched, it really got her going. I also believe it's something she would need to get accustomed to and she would not react as strongly most likely however it's good to know in advance.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest KatyC

I think it was a noise she has never heard before and because it was high-pitched, it really got her going. I also believe it's something she would need to get accustomed to and she would not react as strongly most likely however it's good to know in advance.

Thanks :) Yeah, I suppose at least because we have found out now we can get her used to it with plenty of time.

It's a shame because I think that she will be great with children as she's very calm and loves to be manhandled and cuddled and kissed! She has been great when children have stroked her when we have been out too.

Hopefully the crying is something that we can get her used to though I suppose. A newborn cry is very animal like I suppose too.

Keep the advice coming guys!

I can't understand the difference between two dogs, is it because one raced and one didn't?

I'm not sure why you would think this has ANYTHING to do with racing or not racing. I'd rather drive a knitting needle through my brain than listen to a baby crying. Apparently Peggy feels the same way!

This is NOT a "greyhound" issue. This is a dog issue, and an unfamiliar and annoying noise.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest KatyC

I'm not sure why you would think this has ANYTHING to do with racing or not racing. I'd rather drive a knitting needle through my brain than listen to a baby crying. Apparently Peggy feels the same way!

This is NOT a "greyhound" issue. This is a dog issue, and an unfamiliar and annoying noise.

Because I've read that racing dogs in the uk are trained with a type of squeaker that can sound similiar to a new born cry, so I was thinking perhaps she is making a connection between the two.

She wasn't annoyed by the noise, just extremely curious and excited by it, in perhaps a slightly predatory way.

And I wasn't saying that I think this has to do with racing! I was asking the question to get advice because I don't know! Which is the whole point of my posting here.

Just ignore the passive aggressive "advice." Your question was valid. Our Bootsy was interested in our older son when he was a squeaky baby, but he got over it quickly. I think you'll probably find that as you spend more and more time with your sister and the baby, Peggy will also. :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest KatyC

Just ignore the passive aggressive "advice." Your question was valid. Our Bootsy was interested in our older son when he was a squeaky baby, but he got over it quickly. I think you'll probably find that as you spend more and more time with your sister and the baby, Peggy will also. :)

Thanks :) That's much appreciated, good to know that yours got over it quickly. Will try and get her familiar with the babba then :)

I'm thinking it's just curiosity, especially since someone was probably holding the baby. If you're cradling something in your arms above the dog's line of sight, the dog is always ten times more interested. Just to give you an example, when you are cat training a greyhound, it is recommended that you never hold the cat above the dog's head as they will almost always instinctually jump and nip. I wouldn't freak out just yet. It's most likely nothing that a muzzle, desensitization, and positive reinforcement training can't fix. The more challenging part is when the baby starts moving around, invading the dog's space, touching the dog roughly, etc.

Edited by a_daerr

Guest giantsfan

We have a new-ish (6 months) baby and had both our dogs for ~5 years before having the baby. The first day we brought the baby home from the hospital and he cried, the dogs were definitely interested, but after just a couple days, crying barely warranted an ear being raised. I think anything new - whether it makes squeaky sounds or not - causes intense interest, but they get over the excitement quickly.

It's a pretty common reaction from dogs. It's the high pitch cry that gets their attention. I had a day care in my home for years and every time a new baby started my dogs would react until they got used to the sound. The other thing to be careful of is holding the baby standing up. A lot of dogs will jump up to see what is in your arms if you're standing. Until she gets used to the new baby, try not to hold her standing up. Sit down and introduce your pup to her when she is quiet. Once they figure out where the noise is coming from and have a chance to investigate, most dogs go and lay down. At first meeting have the pup on leash in case of an extreme reaction.

Here are my Emmy and Andy meeting a mom and her baby at a pet store.

DSC00287_zpse5161609.jpg

My Andy meeting one of the new babies in the day care.

IMG_2614-1_zps37e31cb1.jpg

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Off topic, but Judy, every time you post about having a day care, I think how lucky those mamas and babies were to have you. :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

This and this. LOL I was going to suggest that the new-born cry doesn't last long. It turns into a lustier, heavier, cry soon enough and it's less piercing, IMO.

Guest RMarie

Agreed. I can G-chat with my sister and if my 2 year old nephew squeals in the background, James gets very interested. When they were here in person and my nephew squealed, James was always curious, but by no means dangerous, and he DOES have a high-prey drive. James lost interest after a while. Funny, that doesn't happen with squirrels. :bunny

It's a shame because I think that she will be great with children as she's very calm and loves to be manhandled and cuddled and kissed!

I'd be very careful with this kind of assumption, as these are the situations when kids are most likely to get nipped or bitten, often by dogs who seemed to enjoy that kind of interaction. I'm sure there are dogs who really do enjoy it, but they are rare, and most dogs are just tolerating it. It can sometimes be hard to tell the difference unless you're pretty familiar with the more subtle body language and calming signals. And just because a dog enjoys this type of attention from an adult doesn't necessarily mean she'll enjoy it from a child.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest KatyC

It's a pretty common reaction from dogs. It's the high pitch cry that gets their attention. I had a day care in my home for years and every time a new baby started my dogs would react until they got used to the sound. The other thing to be careful of is holding the baby standing up. A lot of dogs will jump up to see what is in your arms if you're standing. Until she gets used to the new baby, try not to hold her standing up. Sit down and introduce your pup to her when she is quiet. Once they figure out where the noise is coming from and have a chance to investigate, most dogs go and lay down. At first meeting have the pup on leash in case of an extreme reaction.

Here are my Emmy and Andy meeting a mom and her baby at a pet store.

DSC00287_zpse5161609.jpg

My Andy meeting one of the new babies in the day care.

IMG_2614-1_zps37e31cb1.jpg

Lovely pics. and thank you for the advice about standing up - will remember this.

This and this. LOL I was going to suggest that the new-born cry doesn't last long. It turns into a lustier, heavier, cry soon enough and it's less piercing, IMO.

Thanks :) yeah I had thought that as newborn cry is so different to a normal baby cry I think. Much more animal like and higher pitched.

We had dogs before we kids and there was never an issue. They weren't always greyhounds, but dogs, still.

I have a recording my grand daughter made wishing Len a happy birtrhday. It is one of those Hallmark cards that when you open it, it plays the greeting. My dogs go crazy when I play that. They run all over looking for Breyanna, but, they would never, in their lifetime, ever want to hurt her.

I think it was just the new sound and curiousity about the baby that excited your dogs. I wouldn't leave them alone with the babe, but I am sure they will get used to it in a short time. My dogs used to lay in front of the crib. When our grandson was born, John E used to stay in the room with the baby all the time. Not to worry is my advice. Just be natural and your dogs will be too.

I am sure that there are plenty of people on here, who had dogs before kids and they are all living well as a family.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Yankeegreyhound

You've already gotten some great advice. There are also some really good books out there to help you work with Peggy. One is "Childproofing Your Dog" by Sarah Wilson. The other is "There's a Baby in the House: Preparing your Dog for the Arrival of your Child" by Mike Wombacher

Sara was obsessed with my older son when we brought him home. He would cry and she would be the first one at his side. We called her "Momma Dog"!! Hailey could have cared less. Eventually Sara calmed down and wasn't at his side all the time but when the twins were born, she was at it again!

My dogs (Coltrane & Atlas) got excited and a little confused when they initially heard DD cry. Her first days at home, she cried so much that they started ignoring her for the most part.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about the smells before bringing your future baby home. We took one of DD's hospital outfits home for the dogs, and they couldn't care less about it. I told DH they would've been more interested if a puppy had worn the clothes! A different human smell wasn't too interesting.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest WhiteWave

We had a yard sale one time and this lady came with a newborn in a stroller. The dogs were in the fenced yard, the yard sale stuff outside the fence. The baby started crying and Ronon who usually avoids people like they have the plague, went nuts. He was trying to get out the yard, running up and down the fence beside where the baby was lunging at the gate. Older like 6 months plus he has been around w/o issue, but the newborn cries drove him nuts. I wouldn't trust him at all with one, but he probably takes after me. Not to fond of babies myself. Casper loves them though, but he is better natured than me and Ronon!

Guest KatyC

Thanks for all your advice. SIL said we can take her over, we'll keep her on the harness and lead and try and get her used to it. Hopefully she will only get frenzied to start with and then give up!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Krizzy

Wow, what a great way to be supportive! Not.