New Grey Waking Up Snarling

Guest Frannie

Guest Frannie

Yurtie is the world's sweetest dog. He's been with me about a month.

I am the center of his universe, and he is so gentle that if you blew on him you could make a wish. Last night, he was asleep in his dog bed (at the foot of my bed) and at about 2:30 a.m. I was awakened to the most awful, vicious sounding snarling/growling/barking. It went on for about 15-20 seconds - longer than the usual "startle" response. As soon as it was over, he was calm and went back to sleep. I told him NO in a firm voice while it was happening, and went back to sleep myself (shaking like a leaf).

He's fine now. His usual darling, affectionate self.

Could this have been a nightmare? Something more?

Frannie

Did he move from the bed or just stay put? Is there a possibility he heard something that you didn't?

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest grey_dreams

Agree that he was probably dreaming, or else as Judy said he maybe heard something you couldn't hear. Sometimes my boys yip and growl when they are dreaming. But when I talk to them, they wake up and everything is ok. The only thing you have to think about, if he is dreaming like that, don't touch him to wake him but just talk to him, and your voice will wake him up.

Guest Liz_in_PA

I have a small bedroom and commonly have to edge my way around a dog in the middle of the night. He makes no move or noise when I stub my toe on his rump.

But last night, I too woke to 10 seconds of growling and barking. The other dog was asleep on her bed on the other side of the room. We figure bad dreams. Just mumble whatever you can mumble from your sleep. Don't get out of bed. Then start breathing again. It'll get easier.

Dogs do some remarkable things in their sleep. Totally normal. Some of them get pretty active and their little legs run (pretty fast) and they breath hard etc. Sometimes they make all kinds of noises. He was probably essentially asleep and doesn't even remember it. Gotta love a greyhound. And this too from above poster: "The only thing you have to think about, if he is dreaming like that, don't touch him to wake him but just talk to him, and your voice will wake him up."

Sheba is a very snarky hound and always has been. She sleeps on the bed with me lots of the time but whenever I move (especially before sleep when I'm in bed watching TV or reading), she gets all snarling, growling, and snapping. I never touch her to soothe her, just say "no" and she typically either gets up, shakes, and goes somewhere else or circles round and round on the bed and takes another position. Some would say keep her off the bed, but it works for me. I'd just warn someone staying here taking care of her while I'm away to sleep in the guest room with the door closed:).

Sheba is a very snarky hound and always has been. She sleeps on the bed with me lots of the time but whenever I move (especially before sleep when I'm in bed watching TV or reading), she gets all snarling, growling, and snapping. I never touch her to soothe her, just say "no" and she typically either gets up, shakes, and goes somewhere else or circles round and round on the bed and takes another position. Some would say keep her off the bed, but it works for me. I'd just warn someone staying here taking care of her while I'm away to sleep in the guest room with the door closed:).

Sheba must be related to my Bobber. The least little movement by anybody near where she is resting anywhere anytime and she erupts into a loud and pretty bad sounding snarl, bark/growl. But she never ever actually bites at anybody never ever either. :flip

Edited by racindog

Could have been a dream--George is very noisy when he sleeps!

I prefer to just wake George up by saying, "It's OK" or "Wake up George!" rather than telling him "no." No what? No WHY? He wasn't doing anything wrong.

Please note that when my dog was new he actually slept with his eyes open on a fairly regular basis!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Whether he was having a nightmare, or hearing something outside, I completely agree with GeorgeofNE about not saying "no". All our hounds dream (and vocalize) in their sleep frequently.

(Completely different situation, but if they bark excessively while awake (rare), we teach "quiet".)

A couple months after we adopted one of our hounds, she had a horrible nightmare (vocalizing more loudly than I've ever heard) while in the family room on a dog bed (on floor). I stayed in the kitchen (next room) whispering it was okay. Once she awoke, I became silent. She looked around the room trying to figure out where she was, until she noticed me in the kitchen. Instantly, she jumped up and FLEW across the room overwhelmingly showering me with kisses and cuddles!! She was clearly over the moon appreciative and SO happy to suddenly remember she was living in a loving family home. I was overwhelmed by her extreme reaction of delight. All our hounds seem to appreciate living in a family home, but that moment was unforgettable from a new, shy (at that time) Greyhound.

Guest psdirector

When we got Hutch and Tibbs, we received a folder with letters from the dogs' foster moms (the dogs were in a prison program). Hutch's letter said that he sometimes had mild bed/ sleep aggression and that he sometimes didn't like to be touched while he was on his bed. Last night I was sitting on the family room floor and he backed up to me, put his back foot on me, and fell asleep. A few minutes later he woke up with a start, growled and got up. He was perfectly sweet the next second. He's fine when we rub his ears or give scritches while he's on his bed, but lesson learned that I won't touch him while he's asleep, especially when he isn't facing me. He doesn't like to sleep close to Tibbs, either, and will sometimes get up and move to another dog bed or quilt if he gets too close - and he's Hutch's litter mate. I appreciate where he's coming from because I'm rather fond of my personal sleep space as well.

Ruby is also a very vocal sleeper and has scared the crap out of us more than once.

We just call her name and then say "it's OK...go back to sleep"

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If nobody touched him, and it doesn't sound like you did - I would not say it's sleep startle or sleep aggression. Just sounds lika a bad dream to me. I personally wouldn't scold him for it. He's asleep.

My first grey, Sobe - had wicked sleep aggression/startle. But - he also had nasty nightmares, that were not triggered by anyone touching him in his sleep. I dealt with the sleep aggression - but I never reprimanded him for a nightmare. That was in HIS head - and wasn't caused by a trigger - so I could not fault him for that - and it didn't hurt anyone because he was not touching anyone at the time. The only thing I'd do when he had a nasty nightmare - growling - snapping at nothing - body jerking - crying - was just talk to him calmly. Just talk him down in a soothing voice. I would NOT suggest touching a dog having a nightmare. That'll get you bitten. Don't do it.

Sobe's night terrors decreased, then went away completely after about 6 months in our house. I bet your pup's will too.

Just be patient. Your dog is very new to your house - and some stress is to be expected.

Guest Krizzy

My dog will let out a deep growl or bark while he sleeps. Sometimes he moves like he is running and he will show his teeth like he is snarling. He does not sleep in our bed but on his bed next to ours. It has calmed down a little since we had him but I was told they have racing dreams. I don't know if they will ever go away, we have had him for close to a year. We always have to say his name and wake him up before actually touching him while he is asleep. I learned that the hard way when I fell asleep next to him, he had a dream, I startled him and he nipped my forehead. I did not say, "no" or "bad boy" because he didn't mean to do it. It actually looked like he felt bad when he realized what he did.

Ruby is also a very vocal sleeper and has scared the crap out of us more than once.

We just call her name and then say "it's OK...go back to sleep"

We do the same exact thing :-)