Other Greys Do This After Losing Their House Mate?

So I know Zelda is doing this because we lost Pop....Zelda was always the alpha out of the 2, but you never really knew it as they were NEVER snarky with each other from day 1...he just let her do whatever she wanted but she was never pushy.

I started taking Zelda for walks after Pop passed (i.e. she has been DEMANDING them by whining/pouting/STOMPING...similar to when she wants dinner). She is now marking while we are out on our walks...she never used to mark, that was always Pop's job LOL

I'm not worried about a UTI because she hardly drinks water...Pop was a water hog. She honestly drinks at most on a day like today 1/2 a dish of water...I'm sure it'll go up once the weather warms up.

So has anyone else noticed any behavior changes like this in their pup? When we go for about a 15 min walk she marks 4+ times but never really empties her bladder.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I saw this in reverse. My first grey was a female and she marked a lot more on walks when she was an only dog. When she was joined by a male, her peeing dramatically decreased on walks. And they divided spots up -- rarely peed on the same spot. They were both marking fools, though. I kept track one week, and on 1-1.5 mile walks, he averaged 13 pees and she 6.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

When we lost Angel we had no idea that Noel was so attached. (we have 5 dogs). All of our other dogs had the vet come to the house but with Angel it was sudden and he broke his shoulder and leg in several places and the cancer was to far advanced. We made the decision to let him go then. Noel spent several weeks looking for Angel. She would go into the room Angel would sleep in and look for him, and would lay on the bed where he was. Even though I told her he had gone to the bridge and left his ashes out for her to smell she has never really gotten over not being with Angel when he passed. We really had no idea they were that close. I am a bit worried a little because we now have a 13 year old broodie who is staying with her until she passes (which she has no intention of doing anytime soon) and Noel has gotten attached to her. She is the only one I have ever seen Noel let sleep with her.

Sheila
Loved by

Mozart, Sherri, Xavier, McCleary, Tigger. Amelia and 2 Salukis Poppy and Zarah

Well we just did about a 7 minute walk and she marked 4 times :rofl My little marker...I guess she has decided to take over the responsibility of letting the other dogs know that she's in the neighborhood since Pop has gone.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I've had the reverse. Almost every time I have lost a dog the remaing dogs start being clingy and sucking up...like they are worried they could be next. Poodle is the exception as in 13 years he has lost 5 greyhounds and Kenny Roo Who the greyX.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My Birdie went from an extremely sweet, quiet (NEVER heard her bark in 2 years), laid back dog to a vocal, bratty, exuberant dog after the loss of my Finn. She totally took over the household (in a good way) For those who knew the "old" Birdie, and then saw the "new" Birdie it was quite shocking.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

• 3 weeks later...

When we lost Sobe, Diana had some behaviour changes that remind me of Zelda. Nothing major, but odd little "different" things. Almost as if she was trying to do "Sobe stuff". Like getting pushy when it was dinnertime. That was Sobe's thing - Diana could care less - but right after Sobe passed, Diana started being the "dinner clock". It wore off after a week or so. She picked up other "Sobe stuff", too for a while. Quirky little stuff. Like she was trying to BE him - or fill in for him.

I'm no dog behaviorist - but I think it's natural for dogs to try to fill a perceived void in a pack. If Zelda believes "the pack" should mark 4 times on every walk - and Pop took care of that chore, but now he's gone - Zelda's probably trying to step up and maintain continuity - routine is pack balance. She may continue if she feels it's her job. Or the dynamic may change, and the behavior will change.

I don't think it's that unusual, and I wouldn't worry about it. It is notable though, having gone through it in my house. If anything, it's her way of dealing with a big change. I take it as dog pack behavior. Once Zelda gets comfortable without Pop, she'll either contine carrying the "pee" flag - or decide it's no longer the way her pack rolls.