Enza Has Lost 15 Lbs In 6 Months - Vet On Tuesday

I took Enza out for a walk with some friends today and when the sun hit her just right, we all realized she was looking really skinny. She was also moving rather sluggish despite being perky and hyper this morning. On the way home, I swung past the vet and she weighed 50 lbs. Two months ago she was at 57 and in October she was about 64. So in a few months, she has lost quite a bit of weight despite normal eating, drinking, and solid poops. I did deworm her a few weeks ago as well. She's been perky, will still grab sticks and walk with her tail curled up, but she does tire out sooner. Her coat is fine although she is starting to blow the winter coat and I noticed yesterday she has more dandruff.

The office immediately scheduled her for an appointment on Tuesday. What should I be asking/looking for - besides a bag to breath into.

Maybe a blood panel. Jack had lost a lot of weight and when we did blood work found out his protein was terribly low. Ended up he had intestinal lymphangiectasia.

Weight loss always scares me.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

In addition to a Chem and Hematology, bring in a first morning urine for a urinalysis. Also consider doing a tick panel.

She's lost about 20% of her weight (it's quite a bit) and because of that, I would also look at doing some x-rays and maybe an ultrasound.

How much are you feeding - whatever it is, I would increase by about 25% or look at giving more calorie type foods like maybe some noodles or toast.

Full thyroid panel. Both Ace and Skimmie dropped weight seemingly out of nowhere. Skimmie additionally was losing more hair, but Ace didn't show any other symptoms other than tiring out sooner than normal. Both had a high TSH and low FT4. Skimmie is on 0.1 Soloxine, Ace is on 0.4.

My Rosie kitty is hyperthyroid...she dropped a ton of weight and behaviorally she went from being chatty to being downright ornery.

Meant to mention that Rosie takes Methimazole to manage her hyperthyroidism.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

My Skeeter Bug has gone from 45 lb to 30 in the last couple of years, last 5 lb just in the last 6 months.

I finally shelled out the big bucks & had a TLI/PLI/Cobalamin/Folate panel sent out. Low Cobalamin, we're

trying Vitamin B12 injections as suggested by the lab.

But then, he's a good deal older than your Enza.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Good thoughts for Enza. That is a lot of weight to lose and I hope it's nothing serious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest SueG201

My 14 yr old grey lost 12 lbs in a year, I ran all the blood work, her thyroid was low but at 14 I am not putting her on meds, doctor said not worth it. She still eats, but with less g usto b ut she is happy albeit skinny.

First - I love my vet. Second - turns out their scale was broken and Enza is back up to her normal range. She is on the low end of it but no dramatic weight loss.

However, I am still glad I went in as the vet noticed a heart murmur that she had never heard before. Something showed up on the xrays but didn't seem major - everything was perfectly clear although the vet noticed her vertebrae looked more calcified than last year. So. We are waiting for blood tests, I am treating her with a round of NSAIDs to see if her "exercise intolerance" is due to her neck issues. If that doesn't fix it, I can consult a cardiologist for a EKG.

Wow! Well the weight thing is a relief! I found myself wondering how the heck one doesn't notice a 15 pound loss!

I hope this other stuff is all minor. :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Wow! Well the weight thing is a relief! I found myself wondering how the heck one doesn't notice a 15 pound loss!

I hope this other stuff is all minor. :goodluck

Trust me - it was on my brain too. You know how much I spoil that dog so I could not fathom how I missed it, but also I kept thinking that she should be should be more skeleton like and she wasn't. She's on the low end of her range (61) but nothing that can't be explained away by age, etc. However, she will be getting many more treats the next few days to beef her up a bit.

First - I love my vet.

I've been meaning to ask you who you're using, you go to Caring Hands Alexandria, right?

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I've been meaning to ask you who you're using, you go to Caring Hands Alexandria, right?

Yep - switched from Arlington because I need a urgent appointment. I see Dr. Planeta and I adore her. I remember thinking she looked like a baby but she gets on the floor with Enza, lets me take her temp if she is being fussy with her ears, replies to emails right away and provides many options before hitting the panic button. She loves greyhounds and had made an effort to read up on them and their quirks when at Cornell. She also wants to order a water bed for any greyhound that goes through surgery there because she once read it helps them recover better.

That is overall good news! Funny the scale was broken as 15lbs is lot to lose.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.