Hi From Nyc.

Hi Everyone,

I love this forum! I am inna and I live in New York City with my two lovely male greyhounds, Jasper and Onyx, adopted in the summer of 2012 (and two cats). I have been part of the "greyhound cult" since 1995, when I adopted my first two greyhounds. I always had two, (small apartment situation) would love to have three but not able to do that currently. At the bridge: Corky, (I'm a Corker), Lance, (NR Red Arrow Joe), Henry, (Siesta Henry) and Primetime (Go Bon Primetime)-my heart and soul dog, lost to the horrible osteo July 2012.

I used to be on the old Greyhound-L that Lynda Adame ran, and had many friends on that list. I wonder if anyone here was on that list as well? Greyt to meet all of you!!

Welcome from Lower Delaware. I used to work in the Wall St. area and would see some greyhounds from my bus. Where do you live?

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Hi! I'm in NYC, too - Hell's Kitchen. There are a couple of other NYC peeps on the board as well. Welcome!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Thank you for the welcome everyone! Sarabz I am not too far from you, I live in Williamsburg and we have a couple of greyhounds around here as well. Do you ever do playdates or maybe a group walk in central park or something fun like that? My boys love meeting other greyhounds and we can maybe get together. What group did you adopt Bella from? I will try to figure out how to post photos on here.

Hubcitypam, nice to see another greyhound person from the old GH-L! I remember these heated debates all too well. Poor admins! A couple of us from the 90's days of GH-L found each other on Facebook. Some are no longer into greyhounds but are still into other sighthounds. One person who was one of the founders of a well known east coast group is now only into AKC greys, (she said she could no longer handle loosing a dog to cancer at age 7). Kind of sad but some of us are NGA greyhound die-hards and will continue to adopt retired racers.

Guest Nycelle

Hi Inna!

I've been transplanted to Houston, but may be coming home for a few months late this Spring. I have never had a dog int he City, so arriving with 2 greys should be intersteing. Group walk in the park? I would definately be into that.

Welcome!

Welcome!

I am also in NYC with the lovely Aquitaine. She would love to do Central Park walks with other houndies. We don't do the greyhound meet-up group anymore because of the unmuzzled, mixed breed play times. I know Sarabz does those and has a great time.

Hi Nycelle! Having greyhounds in NYC is pretty easy, I think. They make good apartment dogs and unless you have a spook, are usually not too overwhelmed by the city, they get used to all the sight and sounds pretty fast, at least all of mine did.

The only issue I have with living in NYC is finding a safe, fenced off place for them to run off leash. I am not a fan of official dog parks and never go there with my guys. They all tend to be too small and have too many unpredictable dogs with owners who don't pay any attention. I see too many fights breaking out so dog runs are not for us. I would love to go for a little group walk in Central Park though, it's so nice there in the spring time! We can definitely organize something.

Carronstar, I also signed up for the greyhound meetup but my understanding is they all meet at the local dog parks and I a not a fan of these places at all! We can exchange emails perhaps and set something up? My two boys really like meeting other greyhounds. :-)

Hi again!

I'm one of the NYC greyhound meetup organizers and would be happy to help set up a walk instead of a meetup at a dog park :) Let's PM about dates & locations!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Welcome to GT! I worked in Manhattan for about 20 yrs. I finally quit a year ago. My commute is a lot better now... Living and working on Long Island...I don't do dogparks either... we have a group of 20-30 greys that walk every Sunday morning in our area... the MeetUp group should do walks in central park, rather than dog runs... more control and less chance of problems... good luck! and don't forget the pics

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

I would love to do walks with the NYC people. The woman who originally started the MeetUp group did arrange it as walks and visits in a playground in Central Park (the Pinetum). When she moved to Connecticut, the group changed to the dog runs. She does bring her guys in every so often and we walk with them. We have gone to Grapehounds together a couple of times. My girl missing seeing other greys. She will drag me across intersections if she sees them on the street!

We live up by the Planetarium so there is that small park and I feel pretty confident saying that we could take over the small run for a muzzled play-group. Sorry, I've rebuilt two dogs from unprovoked dog run injuries and I just won't do it again.

Anyone in the area feel free to PM me if you want to arrange a walk/meeting.

Hi Sarabz-I would love to go for a meetup walk and everyone else here who expressed an interest in doing so! Would we be able to do a sunday? I work monday-saturday and sunday is the only day off I have so that would have to do. I send a request to Greyhound Meetup a couple of weeks ago, still waiting for an approval though.

Claudia-wow 20-30 greyhounds going for a walk! That must be quite a site! I live in Williamsburg and we are not too far from LI. I would love more info, perhaps we can join you on a Sunday? Do you know the folks at Grateful Greyhounds? I have adopted from them over the years, (one of my current boys is from GG), they do a good job and really nice folks.

Carronstar-I know the little dog park near the Planetarium, my BF used to live right across from there. We used to walk in Central Park late in the evenings with the greyhounds, they loved going there. How do I send a PM? Sorry, not yet familiar with the site. And I have to figure out how to post photos as well. Here is my email address if anyone would like to email me to organize a group walk: innak118@hotmail.com

We walk every Sunday @ 11am. We currently meet @ Belmont Lake State Park (exit 38 on Southern State Park puts you directly at the park entrance & parking lot).

When Belmont Lake start charging to enter, we move to Mill Pond Park on the north side of Merrick Rd in Wantagh (exit W6W on the Wantagh Parkway) and we park on the street.

In the summer, when it starts to heat up much earlier, we meet @ 10am.

Whereever we meet, the looks/questions abound when seeing 20-30 greyhounds walking so nicely. We love talking them up and I feel it's a better way to introduce the breed than M&Gs @ pet stores. We are always asked if we are a club, or an adtoption group rescue. We got our dogs from all over the place (GG, LIGHT, GAA, GF of NJ). We always invite newcomers out, so we would love to have you... It's a nice 45 minute leisurely walk, after which we give the pups treats... And we try to meet up for dinner once a month, without the pups. Anyone reading is welcome and we always have new additions to the group... it's a challenge remembering all the people and pups' names as we grow.

Claudia-wow 20-30 greyhounds going for a walk! That must be quite a site! I live in Williamsburg and we are not too far from LI. I would love more info, perhaps we can join you on a Sunday? Do you know the folks at Grateful Greyhounds? I have adopted from them over the years, (one of my current boys is from GG), they do a good job and really nice folks.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Hi again Everyone,

Sara I would love to get together in central park, I am glad that I am on the meetup! I don't have 50 posts, but I am happy to plan on something or join you and other greyhounds in the park if you already have a group get together in mind. Again my mail is: innak118@hotmail.com

Claudia, how can I get more details about the group walks on Sunday at Mill Pond Park in Wantagh? Is there a website or a Facebook group? If not, please feel free to email me, we would really like to attend!

Thank you everyone for the nice welcome! All of your greyhounds are so beautiful! I will figure out how to post photos and put some of my two boys up.

Thanks!