Reason To Keep Itemized Vet Receipts?

I recently bought a great new printer/scanner and have been digitizing a lot of our home files to reduce paper clutter.

I have a big file of itemized vet receipts that I've held onto for all four of my hounds, but I can't decide whether they need to be scanned or just discarded.

Thinking about it, I don't remember ever referring back to them, except maybe to check the vaccination due date reminders at the bottom.

Do you keep these? Is there a "just in case," reason I should keep and scan them?

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I found them useful in that I was able to figure out what anesthetic Heyokha was given that gave him problems. I tend to keep them so I'll have an itemized list of things done and in what quantities.

Also good for price comparisons :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I've kept every scrap of paper on each of my dogs since 2001. Which is insane :lol

I've only gone back to blood work results (which my vet doesn't give unless asked for) and a couple invoices to see how much I paid for certain drugs.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I keep all vet records, too, mostly because I picture being asked something that only my records can confirm. You can take them with you should an emergency arise and the attending wants a history. Just don't tally them in the course of a year like I just did, if you don't want to feel sick. :lol

Edited: b/c perfectionist

Edited by deboosh

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

As long as you have the digitized copies, you should be fine. Usually, you can get your vet to print out records if you should ever need paper copies, but I know of a local vet's office that closed and more-or-less vanished, leaving owners with no way to get records of vaccinations.

The one use for paper copies is if you need an emergency trip to the e-vet. You might want to have an easy-to-grab folder of papers rather than files you need to take time to print out.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

As long as you have the digitized copies, you should be fine. Usually, you can get your vet to print out records if you should ever need paper copies, but I know of a local vet's office that closed and more-or-less vanished, leaving owners with no way to get records of vaccinations.

The one use for paper copies is if you need an emergency trip to the e-vet. You might want to have an easy-to-grab folder of papers rather than files you need to take time to print out.

I'll definitely hold onto my copies all of their x-rays, any reports, special instructions from Lucy's cardiologist, rabies certificates, licensing papers, etc... But is there any reason an e-vet would need to see my receipts? These are just the lists of services and prices (e.g. Physical annual exam - $XX.XX"). I can't think of how that would come up, unless they needed to see what meds they were prescribed, or..? I just can't imagine why I'd need them, but I'm so paranoid that I WILL need them that I've kept them for years. :hehe

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

The receipt from my vet for an office visit generally says what we were there for and documents any of the vet's recommendations--"Give antibiotics for four weeks, call if there's no improvement"--which would document when we started/stopped a round of meds.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

The receipt from my vet for an office visit generally says what we were there for and documents any of the vet's recommendations--"Give antibiotics for four weeks, call if there's no improvement"--which would document when we started/stopped a round of meds.

Ah - yeah, our vet doesn't typically put detailed notes on the receipt. Sometimes things like that are offered on a separate page, but usually not.

I have a notebook for each of my dogs and still hold on to the deceased ones too.

On receipts I make notes of what the visit was for if it isn't spelled out. I helps me remember what worked, what caused a reaction. I have found a need to refer to the notebooks when another grey had a similar problem. I also include medical articles that I've printed out.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My previous vet used to give detailed receipts that I kept, and sometimes referred back to for dates when we did a certain procedure, or gave a medication (many of my pets have had chronic health issues). She later changed and the receipts were just $ totals, I quit keeping those (yeah, never add them up! :lol ) My new vet's receipts are somewhere in between. I keep them all for the current year, then with a new year, I toss the routine ones. It may be a bit OCD, but I like having them. I would think scanned and kept online would work just as well.

edited to add, I haven't kept records for deceased pets, and now I am sorry, because things have come up where some information on treatment from one of the old ones might have helped a current situation.

Edited by Remolacha

I only keep the ones with rabies shot info on them. They don't issue certificates of rabies here vaccination like in some states, it's on their paperwork. A lot of events around here require you to bring written proof of valid rabies (splash days, festivals, play days at the cotton bowl).

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest kkaiser104

I keep all of Teddi's receipts/info in a binder that I grab in an emergency situation (luckily it's only happened once!) It's so convenient to just grab one book every time I go to the vet/evet. On the back of the binder I have a vacc. record which has the type of vaccine, date, and when it's due again. Also have info about heartguard meds/flea and tick stuff, etc..

Works well for me!