J J's Platelets Still Low

OK....so we had held off on surgery for a lump (which incidentally went away) because JJ's blood counts were off....

four weeks ago... Platelets 49K Creatinine 1.9 Lipase 3900

Recheck today - PLatelets 41K Creatinine 2.0 Lipase 2665

After the tests four weeks ago, he went on an iron supplement for two weeks and went on a lower protein, low-fat diet.

He is in thyroid meds, and was on metrondionzole (after eating Daddy's leather wallet), but they do not believe there is a connection.

His red blood count is in within range....on the higher side of the range (8.4), but still within where it should be. All other counts on CBC are fine except the platelets.

They are sending me tomorrow for a hand-counted platelet slide.

Any thoughts?????

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

"Compounding these normally low WBC and platelet numbers is the fact that Ehrlichia, a common blood parasite of Greyhounds, can lower WBC and platelet counts. So if there is any doubt as to whether the WBC / platelet counts are normal, an Ehrlichia titer is always in order. The other classic changes with Ehrlichia are lowered PCV and elevated total protein. But bear in mind that every Greyhound will not have every change, and Ehrlichia Greyhounds can have normal CBCs." from Dr. Stack's treatise on greyhound blood values and health as posted at the following site: http://www.recycledracers.org/FAQ/greyhound-blood-values.html

Might be worth a serious look at Ehrlichia. IMHO.

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

We will see what the hand-counted number is and then go from there. If it is the case that it is the tick borne illness, what is prognosis?

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

I think the renal value looks fine for a gh (creatinine) --the lipase is a pancreatic enzyme (starch)---how was the amylase?

Gh platelets tend to clump making the automatic count inaccurate--the machine counts the clump as one therefore returning an artificially low count--the manual count should be able to give you a more accurate count.

Have you had at least an in house Snap 4dx??

Amylase was fine.

The clumping factor is why she wants the hand count.

I believe he has had the snap 4dx

Robin, good thoughts for JJ. I know squat about blood values so can't give advice.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks, Kyle! All good thoughts are always appreciated. After watching Jack turn purple as he was dying, I am a bit hysterical....but JJ seems basically healthy.

Edited by mychip1

Hand count shows a platelet count of 105K!!!!! We will recheck in four weeks to be sure that it is steady!

Excellent news! :clap

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hand count shows a platelet count of 105K!!!!! We will recheck in four weeks to be sure that it is steady!

Sweet! This is something for all to remember--think I've said this before but, platelets are like teenage girls-they like to hang out together (ironically so do cat platelets) making an automatic counts inaccurate. God bless the tech that reads all of those manual slides-click one, click two..........

Edited by tbhounds

Excellent news!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 1 month later...

Platelet recheck today....was 107,000 five weeks ago. Today's hand count showed a range of 65 to 85 k. I am not sure why the range this time,but I am concerned about the drop. The vet who counted it is not the vet who has been working with this. That doc will call me tomorrow....but to ossified you put there, would this fluctuation dog concern? This all started from a machine count in the 40's and two days later a hand count up at 107... And now this.

These were the hand counted slides at the vet. Tomorrow the vet who counted before will look At a slide. I was dubious about the range.

These were the hand counted slides at the vet. Tomorrow the vet who counted before will look At a slide. I was dubious about the range.

Your vet reads their own smears?? I would send a sample to the lab (ie Idexx, Antech) for a second opinion.

This particular one specializes in it, but she wasn't in and the other did the reading. They did send it off also for kidney panel....not sure if that lab will do a count as well.