Senior Moment - Stuck In Basement

Guest greytsunshine

Guest greytsunshine

My (almost) 12 year old grey, Max, has been having back issues & is being treated by our vet. Since these issues have started, he's not wanted to go up or down full flights of stairs. Understandable. Except that he went down to the basement while we were out. He appears to be fine but he won't come back up the stairs! They are fully carpeted but I guess he doesn't feel stable enough. I've tried attaching the leash, coaxing, and making a sling for his back end. He won't have any of it. He stands at the bottom of the stairs & whines. I have a bad back & a bum knee so I can't lift him & hubby is at work going into an important meeting.

Ideas?

Can you treat him like a greyhound who doesn't know how to do stairs? At least, it will get him up the thing. I'd get behind him, get the front end on the stairs, get your thighs against his butt and start moving the feet, keeping your thighs snug so he he can't back up and must go forward. Good luck and I empathize with the bad back!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Can you treat him like a greyhound who doesn't know how to do stairs? At least, it will get him up the thing. I'd get behind him, get the front end on the stairs, get your thighs against his butt and start moving the feet, keeping your thighs snug so he he can't back up and must go forward. Good luck and I empathize with the bad back!

That's what I was going to suggest. Plant his front feet on the second step up and get behind him so he can't back down. Then if your back will let you, lean down and gently lift his hind feet, one at a time, onto the bottom step. Keep the pressure on from behind and see if he'll let you support him up the stairs. If you have a harness in the house, get that on him first, or use the folded towel method round his belly so he feels supported.

Good luck! If the worst comes to the worst, can he just stay down there till your DH gets home?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Where are you? Is there anyone near that can come lift?

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest greytsunshine

Just tried this. He's turning to the side & sinking his back end down. He just will not go up!

Can you gently lure him with treats on every step?

Just tried this. He's usually so food motivated but he's looking longingly at it & turning around.

Where are you? Is there anyone near that can come lift?

My kids are here but I'm not sure how we can coordinate a lift with multiple people going upstairs.

If he is having back issues maybe stay down there with him til dh comes home?

I'm thinking this is what we'll have to do. He's already pottied down here (and felt bad doing so, I could tell) so there's no immediate need to go outside. I brought down his bed earlier & when I'm down here, he lays down & sleeps. :)

I bought a sling for DaVid from HandicappedPets.com I had to measure very closely. But, it will last forever and will help me lift him when the time comes. My vet recommended it.

I wish I would have thought of this a long time ago! I've tried the towel sling to get upstairs, but he seems to "freeze in place" with it.

How heavy is he and how old are the kids?

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest greytsunshine
How heavy is he and how old are the kids?

He's 72 lbs & I have a 14 year old & 12 year old. The 12 year old just informed me that he doesn't feel comfortable lifting Max. How should we do it? One person on each side of the dog?

You don't need to lift him. If his front end is stable enough, then one person to guide the front end and help keep that end stable, one person to lift the back end to follow. Back person should preferably be standing one step back, with legs behind his legs.

Get the front feet up a couple steps while holding the back end up a bit (hold under the tuck/rearward part of chest). Then lift back end up a step. Help front end up a step. Lift back end up a step. Etc.

ETA: If I'm the person NOT behind his butt, I sometimes sit on the step rather than standing. Easier, no risk of falling.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Nope. Was hoping the kids were a little older (stronger). I'd say hang tight until husband is home. Sorry.

You don't need to lift him. If his front end is stable enough, then one person to guide the front end and help keep that end stable, one person to lift the back end to follow. Back person should preferably be standing one step back, with legs behind his legs.

Get the front feet up a couple steps while holding the back end up a bit (hold under the tuck/rearward part of chest). Then lift back end up a step. Help front end up a step. Lift back end up a step. Etc.

ETA: If I'm the person NOT behind his butt, I sometimes sit on the step rather than standing. Easier, no risk of falling.

I like this. Jey, maybe the 12 yo at the side for more stability? I'm thinking one side against the wall and the other guided by the 12yo. One for security illusion to the pup and two so that he really doesn't have a way to turn around and go back. I don't know. Just a thought. I would defer to your suggestions. You've had more experience.

Guest greytsunshine

Just tried this but he's really pushing away and resisting. I'm afraid of hurting him or myself.

ETA: We added the younger kid to prevent escape but it seemed to add to the resistance.

Good to muzzle any dog that may be in pain before handling.

After hubby gets home, might work to have one adult on each side of belly holding up the towel (sling) under belly. A strong cloth bag with sewn handles can work well, but needs to be cut open to create sling design.

Thanks for the muzzle reminder! Even when his back was at it's worst, he would go limp when my hubby lifted him but you never know.

Edited by greytsunshine

Yikes! If it is a sore back you do have to be careful. I was going to suggest putting a towel under his tummy and back end to support it like a sling while holding a leash on the collar with the other hand. If you lift up the back feet and move forward, sometimes that gets the front feet going, or you can lift up the back end while someone moves the front paws up each step (kind of like a doggy wheel barrel race).

If you think it is too much or you may cause more of a back injury though, I agree with leaving it until you have more help. Good luck!

Guest greytsunshine

Hubby came home & rescued Max! We tried the "doggy wheel barrel race" idea but it seemed to put too much strain on Max's back & he was whimpering. In the end, Hubby just scooped him up & carried him upstairs. Here's a photo taken during his ordeal.

ETA: Basement entry is now gated!!

maxbasement.jpg

Edited by greytsunshine

Guest Scouts_mom

Poor boy! Getting old sucks.

I wonder if you've considered accupunture for his back. It really helped my Tia when she was old and having back issues.

Guest greytsunshine
Poor boy! Getting old sucks.

I wonder if you've considered accupunture for his back. It really helped my Tia when she was old and having back issues.

Yeah, actually this is a recent thing. The vet mentioned acupuncture if it turns chronic. He's been doing so much better lately, though.

So glad he's upstairs! Poor guy! My old man (13.6) is having back issues too. I understand your worries only too well. Gentle smooches to him!