I Want Another One...need Advise

Guest kahjul

We have 2 greys and I want another. Both our girls have very distinct personalities-1 is a diva alpha, can you help me figure out what personality type I should look for to have the best success?

4 yo female, didn't race, believes every human is here to serve her in some way. Super friendly with all humans. Obedience trained (to knock her down off the pedestal). Loves small dogs but has shown aggression to larger dogs. Never actually has bitten but does the snarl teeth growl thing. A few times if she hadn't been on leash, she probably would have started a dog fight. She can't at all handle dogs who sniff and follow and pester her. She also doesn't like dogs that push her at all, like how a boxer with push with a front leg. When she wants to run and play, she doesn't care if the other grey plays with her or not and if the other one gets in her way she'll get snarled at. She sleeps alone, won't share her bed or her space. Occasionally on the couch they'll touch but if she notices it, she leaves. They will both sleep on my bed at completely different corners. They have no problem sharing treats, car rides together, hotel rooms, etc. There is just no intimacy between this dog and other dogs. 2yo female is very uncomplicated. When its time to run and play, she simply wants to do that and doesn't understand why she gets snarked at sometimes, but she'll just go lay down. She follows the other grey from room to room and watches her to see whats up, but never touches her. We've only had her a year and she still has a few fear issues, but has a lot of confidence in the daily routine. On walks she has shown fear of all other dogs-any size. She will quietly go to the oppostie side of me to avoid them. As she has gotten to know other family members dogs, she is safe with them, but not playful. She would probably attack if cornered, by any size dog-even if they were only trying to play.

So, I'm thinking older aloof male who cares less if they snarl and just goes about his life? Or should I be thinking young and puppyish so they can train him? Also am I right in thinking another female is a bad idea?

Take them with you to the adoption group and let them pick their new pal. Give them time to socialize and get to know each other while you visit with the adoption rep while watching how they interact. This has worked for me every time. Congratulations on your decision to add another member of the family!

Guest KsFrets

It's very unpredictable. Why not foster with intent? That's what we did. That way if it doesn't work out, you are not stuck with a nightmare. My avitar girl Lisa was our 5th foster when we were thinking about going from two, to three. Of the first four, two would have been ok, one we almost kept, and one went from the calm old broody, to the foster from hell when she met our dogs. She was a time bomb, and we were relieved the day she left. Then the day Lisa came through the door, met our dogs, found a bed, and ten minutes later was sound asleep roaching. She's never left!

My husband adamantly refuses to foster. He says once its here we committ 100% and there is no opportunity of returning a family member. We deal with whatever issues arise. I am, unfortunately, in the center of California and all the rescues are at least 6 hours away. My first was from an opps litter, so we got her from the rescue at 12 weeks. Our 2nd we just got last year from the same group, but someone was heading our way for a trip. We met halfway and had the weekend to see if everyone got along before they were heading back home. The group I have been using doesn't seem to have a place were all the dogs are, they are all placed in fosters until finding homes, so I can't go hang out with several. I'm on a list for a quiet male, but was just curious what you all thought. I'm going to an event this weekend with my girls and am hoping to maybe meet up with Mr. Right...

Also, is it really wrong of me to want a specific color??? They have one right now who sounds perfect, but I really don't want another brindle-I'm afraid to tell the group that, it sounds so shallow.

Agree with laid-back male.

We've had multiple large breed dogs for many many years.

Before we added Nixon to our pack, we had a older GSDx and a PointerX...both females.

They had been together for 10 years and the Pointer was a bit pushy...not agressive, but pretty determined to get her way. DH also spoiled her rotten!

The GSD...older of the 2...was the 'boss' but also not agressive. She just had that way about her of letting everyone know she was in charge...a flick of her ear, a subtle turn of her head.

Our Greyound group strongly encouraged us to adopt a male, even though I was really leaning towards a female.

We had not had a male dog in many years and I just have always prefered females :dunno

They felt that adding another female into a household were there were already 2 bonded females ...one who was already the 'leader' ....was not a great idea.

So...along came Nixon...the most calm laid-back fellow you'll ever meet..... and it was a fabulous decision.

When the 'boss GSD went to the Bridge (at age 14.5) we adopted Ruby. She is quiet, but more hyper than Nixon. She has also started being a bit more dominant over the boys in the past 6 months.

Not long after we got Ruby, we suddenly lost the Pointer (12).

By then I had discovered the joys of having a calm male... and it was easy to add Nigel into the mix.

That said...all dogs - male and female - will each have their own personality and there is no set formula for having a successful calm pack of hounds.

Edited to say I've always wanted a black hound...and I certainly could have had one more than once, but the Brindles and Red just found their way here!!

Don't base your choice on colour...let the hounds decide!

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Do looks matter?

Blue eyes over brown?

Dark hair over blond?

Sometimes the "inner" part outshines the "outer" ones..

Having adopted 3 brindles, one after the other, our 4th adoptee is white and black with spots.

Just happened that way :)

The two girls came first and then we added the boys.

Boy #1 is laid back and fits the girls perfectly.

:)

The 3 brindles make a perfect pack.

Boy #2, the 4th addition, is not laid back in the least... he is more..... "everything".

More vocal, more curious, more exuberent, more a toy hoarder and defender, more a growler..

At first I taken aback at the difference between the "colors".

lol

But we have grown to love that big trouble maker...

I could easily go with another brindle and make it #5 ..but we are totally out of space for a 5th greyhound :(

Having three is a breeze!

Having fun choosing :))

Guest KsFrets
He says once its here we committ 100% and there is no opportunity of returning a family member. We deal with whatever issues arise

It's too bad your hubby isn't willing to foster. It's been one of the most rewarding things we've ever done, and continue to do as we can. Especially keeping in touch with hounds and their happy forever homes, knowing you were a part of their happiness. The above quote is also all fine and fuzzy, until an actual mis-match really happens, risking your sanity, property, and the lives of the dogs. Been there, and instead of failing, and having a bounce, or worse a dead or injured dog, we endured until the story had a happy ending with a future forever placement. BTW, the group that we foster for, is 4 hours south of us, and we often pick up the dogs from farms two hours north of us. Some groups survive because people are willing to do it, and sometimes there never seems to be enough volunteers. But, if it's not for you, I hope you find a wonderful forever hound number three!

I agree with you. The group has asked us to foster, both to help them get hounds in our area and to help us find our new one, but hubby is firm. He has mentioned if we had a larger piece of property considering it. I think he is honestly afraid if he agrees to fostering, we'll have 10 hounds:). This is his way of keeping some sanity. If it were all me, there would be none, just a houseful of hounds.

Interesting thread, because I'm considering adding a third, but a galgo. So, this would be bringing a dog I've never met from Spain to Australia and introducing it to two female greys, one of which is quite dominant.

I'm also leaning towards a boy, and a younger one at that. But I'm also hoping for calm. I will watch with interest!

I agree with you. The group has asked us to foster, both to help them get hounds in our area and to help us find our new one, but hubby is firm. He has mentioned if we had a larger piece of property considering it. I think he is honestly afraid if he agrees to fostering, we'll have 10 hounds:). This is his way of keeping some sanity. If it were all me, there would be none, just a houseful of hounds.

I'm a little confused why agreeing to foster would be committing beyond one or two fosters. If a foster family needs to stop fostering for some reason, they usually can. Since Greyhounds are inside only dogs, I'm not sure why a larger piece of (fenced) property would be necessary. Greyhounds do well with leashed walks.

A middle-aged, independent, laid back boy could work well. Too young might develop into too much pack energy once hound gets comfortable in new home. Temperament is most important when adding to a pack. Some alphas don't do well living with too many dogs, and your current hounds living peacefully is your greatest responsibility to them. In your case, fostering would be a smart option to seriously consider. Many groups frown upon color requests since a proper personality match is top priority. You might get lucky if they offer two hounds from which to select. Good luck! :)

FWIW, my DH is like this. His feeling is that our home is just as good (if not better) than any other home, so any dog that walks through our door is pretty much here to stay. Since we began adopting greyhounds in '04 we have adopted 8 greyhounds, and all but 3 (our very first greyhound and the last two) were failed fosters. We did have ONE successful fostering and it just about killed DH to let Jack go. If he hadn't instantly liked the people we took him to, I don't think DH would have left him there at all.

Fostering requires the proper attitude, and if both of you aren't on the same page, it can be really hard.

Interesting thread, because I'm considering adding a third, but a galgo. So, this would be bringing a dog I've never met from Spain to Australia and introducing it to two female greys, one of which is quite dominant.

I'm also leaning towards a boy, and a younger one at that. But I'm also hoping for calm. I will watch with interest!

Of the aforementioned 8 greyhounds, the only one we picked and met beforehand was the first one. #2 was the successfull foster. #3-6 were all foster failures. #7 & #8 were both accepted sight-unseen from long distance and though our group accepted oversight of them, they were here to stay no matter what happened. None of the existing dogs ever met the new ones before they came. WE didn't even meet the new ones until they arrived at our house to foster.

That being said, we've never had any trouble with them getting along. We've had dominant females and hyper males and medical issues and behavioral issues all mixed together. It works because we make a commitment to make it work and are willing to do what is necessary for success. Greyhounds are used to living together and generally do just fine. Though you will occasionally find a greyhound that prefers to be an only dog.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We also have 3 hounds, two boys and a crazy female. The boys are almost 7 and 10. The crazy girl is 2 and a barrel of fun. Both of our boys are very laid back, big, sweethearts. I think a laid back boy sounds like what you need in your pack. Beware, the big guys are snuggle bunnies!(at least both of mine are)

Good Luck!

I agree with getting a male.

I personally think that males are better companions, and tend to get along with both boys and girls.

I think it IS a little shallow to be concerned about color--but not HORRIBLE either! After all, you have to live with the critter! I wanted a fawn and ended up with a brindle. I happen to think he's VERY handsome now, but no chance I would have listed "brindle" as one of my choices. I actually told them it didn't matter. My requirement did include male (see above) and cat safe. Beyond that it didn't really matter to me.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have always wanted a fawn or fawn & white. I have a blue and a brindle. Brindle is my least favorite color, but she needed us. It turns out I needed her too :ghplaybow . I haven't told the group I want a fawn, but I keep hoping one will turn up.

As to the fostering thing, I'm afraid I would be a foster fail and keep everything-my husband is afraid of that too. He also just couldn't handle giving one up. He's way too emotional and gets attched too easily. A larger peice of property would allow us to build a barn (similar to a horse barn) with large separate play areas where the dogs could be divided into safe, small play groups rather than running willy nilly (supervised) on our 10 sq' yard cutting their legs on tall grasses, breaking toes on bricks and nipping at eachother. I have 2 young hounds that play hard. In my head I see several playing like they do and think bedlam.

Guest PhillyPups
We have 2 greys and I want another. Both our girls have very distinct personalities-1 is a diva alpha, can you help me figure out what personality type I should look for to have the best success?

4 yo female, didn't race, believes every human is here to serve her in some way. Super friendly with all humans. Obedience trained (to knock her down off the pedestal). Loves small dogs but has shown aggression to larger dogs. Never actually has bitten but does the snarl teeth growl thing. A few times if she hadn't been on leash, she probably would have started a dog fight.

I have read this over a few times, and am giving my personal opinion here, which many times is not a popular one, but feel I must speak up. You say she has shown aggression to larger dogs. How would she be with another greyhound in the home? Can you keep them all safe? I do not let any dog in my home bully another one, they learn quickly that this is totally unacceptable behavior. I do not know your "dog experience", but I would only bring another big dog into the home is the current people there are very dog savvy.

She can't at all handle dogs who sniff and follow and pester her. She also doesn't like dogs that push her at all, like how a boxer with push with a front leg. When she wants to run and play, she doesn't care if the other grey plays with her or not and if the other one gets in her way she'll get snarled at.

This behavior can be corrected. Dogs sniff and push, and should be allowed to play, I sure hope you use muzzles at all times when they are outside. I do not know if you do or not, but they are safety tools, just like a seatbelt in a car.

She sleeps alone, won't share her bed or her space. Occasionally on the couch they'll touch but if she notices it, she leaves. They will both sleep on my bed at completely different corners.

Sleep aggression is ot unusual. I had one that three different times I woke up with my hand in his mouth and he looked at me like "ooops" he ended up being my snuggley bed buddy.

They have no problem sharing treats, car rides together, hotel rooms, etc. There is just no intimacy between this dog and other dogs. 2yo female is very uncomplicated. When its time to run and play, she simply wants to do that and doesn't understand why she gets snarked at sometimes, but she'll just go lay down. She follows the other grey from room to room and watches her to see whats up, but never touches her. We've only had her a year and she still has a few fear issues, but has a lot of confidence in the daily routine. On walks she has shown fear of all other dogs-any size. She will quietly go to the oppostie side of me to avoid them. As she has gotten to know other family members dogs, she is safe with them, but not playful. She would probably attack if cornered, by any size dog-even if they were only trying to play.

Could her fear behaviors be a result of the 4 year old being a bit of a bully? There is only one alpha in my home, and I am it.

So, I'm thinking older aloof male who cares less if they snarl and just goes about his life? Or should I be thinking young and puppyish so they can train him? Also am I right in thinking another female is a bad idea?

Good luck with whatever you do. Bringing a new hound into the home is fun, but it is up to the stability of the existing hounds and the vigilance of the owners that makes or breaks it.

There are no issues (anymore) with the 2 we have. They had some trouble at first, but we've enlisted an expert and seem to be problem free now. They are not best friends, but get along well and play fine. The 4yo is not sleep aggressive, as I said, she simply leaves if things aren't the way she wants them. They both have learned to walk away when the one is in a mood. The aggression that I see from her is towards large dogs she doesn't know that pester and want to be in her face. If she can turn and walk away, she will but if they are trying to push her around and jump on her she gets pissy. Small dogs can jump all over her-she loves them, bows and goes all crazy playing. Large dogs get a more reserved reaction.

I agree with a laid back boy; they put up with a ton of crap! :)

I had to read twice, I truly thought you were describing my Molly and she's also 4 and brindle. I truly wonder if you have her (and Mason's) littermate. She also thinks all humans were put on the earth to serve her in some way, she's an alpha and a bit of a bully.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you do I would take your 2 with you.

FWIW I did a foster with intent to adopt when I got Molly because I was concerned about how she would do with Mason. She walked in the house, they kissed hello, she laid down and that was it. :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a particular color as long as that isn't your only criteria. I have a friend who wanted a large red male and was willing to wait for the right one to come along. I wanted a black dog and ended up with a brindle; we picked each other. Now I have three brindles and I didn't even like brindles before I got my first one. They picked me. I love them and wouldn't trade them for the world. Now I believe brindles are beautiful.

I still hope one day to have a black girl and maybe a white one too. :flip

Guest KsFrets

We had a neighbor who shopped for a dog that matched her furniture and interior decorating. I remember thinking how intensely shallow that was. But when she found the right colored dog... it was spoiled rotten and she loved that thing dearly. So who cares why you chose the dog you do? Just love it when you get it!