Cesar's Leader Of The Pack

Guest cdholl

I have to wait to see it. Stupid Canada is only showing it in early MARCH. Grrr. I've been told it's actually a galgo, so I'll be extra interested in seeing this (I've never seen "moving pictures" of a galgo, just stills).

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

It did seem a bit taller but I thought maybe Spanish greys were a little different breeding-that makes sense now that you say that. I have never seen such aggression before!

I wasn't optimistic about how he would handle greyhounds, but overall I think it was a good episode. In his American show he was called in to situations that had dangerously escalated, probably for more viewing drama. In his new show he identifies potential problems and sees how the adoption applicants "get it".

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

His method on this new show is much more gentle.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I wonder if he took note of the many criticisms of his technique and is making changes. That would be a commendable thing.

He had some major changes in his personal life - divorce, trying to commit suicide, and the near loss of his business. His TV demeanor seems much less intense.

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

I was hoping to never see the words "Cesar Millan" and "galgo" in the same sentence because his training methods are known to be pretty harsh. In the realm of celebrity pet trainers, I'm more in line with Victoria Stilwell (she's firm, but at least centers on positive reinforcement). But hopefully Cesar was gentle and patient with the galgo... I'll have to watch for myself and see.

BTW, was this the dog?

http://www.cesarsway.com/news/cesarspeaks/Meet-Choco

The dog's name was Amigo. He had been adopted out in Spain to the Netherlands. The owners returned him to his original shelter because his aggression to other animals was escalating toward people.

tiny hada siggy.png

He also adopted a galga last year. I don't really keep up with him because I'm iffy about his training methods also, but I'm curious to hear how his galga is doing. She was a fearful mess just after he adopted her, so I hope he's got her settled and starting to trust people a bit.

I missed the episode, but will try to catch it in reruns. I looked for it at the time it was supposed to be on, but my stupid Comcast only showed a marathon of Alaska State Troopers. :riphair

Edited by jetcitywoman

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

He had at least 3 galgos/greyhounds in his own large pack in Spain. They looked to be very happy dogs and got along with all the other breeds he has there.

tiny hada siggy.png

He had at least 3 galgos/greyhounds in his own large pack in Spain. They looked to be very happy dogs and got along with all the other breeds he has there.

All dogs should get along with other breeds, it floors me when people say that their greyhound is not "other breed safe".

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

YamahaGirl,

Really? What happens when your greyhound looks at a toy poodle the same way he looks at a rabbit? You can just get rid of instinct?

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

YamahaGirl,

Really? What happens when your greyhound looks at a toy poodle the same way he looks at a rabbit? You can just get rid of instinct?

I think she was referring to people who categorize greys as being reactive to other breeds in general (not necessarily the high-prey dogs who are aggressive only with small dogs).

Yes, not talking about prey drive, rather other large dogs. Me saying this comes from knowing someone, who won't even walk their dogs in their neighbourhood (nice area, no off leash dogs) because they aren't "other breed friendly".

Edited by Yamaha_gurl

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

I think that is a matter of the owner being reactive and the hound responds to the owners trepidations...

That was a point Cesar brought up. The dog did react differently when the potential adopters held the leash tightly anticipating an encounter with another dog.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Giselle

Applied animal behavior science has been around for more than 50 years. Through applied animal behavior, we have learned about how motivation works, about how behaviors increase or decrease, about how the probabilities of behaviors change based on reward schedules and contingencies. We've trained dolphins to alert us to underwater dangers. We've trained beagles to sniff out illicit material. We've trained hamsters to do acrobatics. We've trained captive wild animals to hold still (voluntarily!) during medical procedures. We've taken animals with severe behavioral problems and saved them from euthanasia. We've trained fish, chickens, rats, mice, rabbits, marine mammals, even invertebrates!!!

Why the general public continues to disregard science and believe in "energy" and "linear social hierarchies" as a means of behavior modification is beyond me. It is truly upsetting.

I've never really been a big fan of Cesar Milan fan. I had heard enough criticisms in the past about his training methods and probably watched some clips or heard stories from his shows and pretty much wrote him off.

I actually have the NatGeo channel now and I've been able to sit down and watch a whole show. It's not too bad. I can't say that I would necessarily use his methods, but I do like the idea behind some of them. I haven't really seen him "alpha roll" a dog in any of the shows I've watched.

I like the idea of his show- rehabilitating a dog who needs a home and finding the most suitable place for them. I hope it encourages more people to look at shelter/rescue dogs. I like the idea of the "pack" philosophy as well as a couple other concepts he has talked about.

I wondered how the divorce had affected his life. I didn't realize there was a suicide attempt, also. Sounds like he's been through hell and back.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana