Leash Training For Roman

Guest greytgrandma

Guest greytgrandma

Roman will be 2 in April. Josh says he does not know how to walk on a leash at all. Im thinking allot of leash walking in his fenced yard to get him used to the idea.Maybe to start with just sort of following him around the yard with the leash on? I am looking forward to working with him on this since I will be walking him & Millie once he gets the hang of the leash walking thing . I suspect it will take quite a while before he will be good enough to walk to the park. Any suggestions on making it easy for him . It will be a while before the weather is good enough to work outside much. What sort of things can we do in the house to maybe get a head start till the weather is good ?

little Millie & Roman's Grammy

I wouldn't follow him around. You want him to know that he has to follow you. He's like a puppy. You just start walking. If he balks you just stop and let him balk. If you just don't move he'll eventually give up and move forward to relieve the tension. He'll get the idea. The to prevent pulling from starting you just feed him a treat whenever he is where you want him (heel position).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

If it were me, I'd just walk him with Millie and let her show him how it's done.

Pinky was TERRIBLE when I first got her-weaving all over the place. I just started walking her as part of the "team" with Ace and Fritz and she figured it out. They have both always walked nicely together at my left, so she just fell in with them.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

What is Roman's history, and why does he not know how to walk on leash? If he's used to being on a leash and just doesn't have good walking manners, the above suggestions should work fine. If, for some reason, he's never been introduced to a leash before, you'd need to start from scratch.

I personally recommend introducing puppies to a leash by just having them drag it around first. For the ones that get worried about the way it feels, you can use treats and toys to distract until they get used to it. For the next step, I do recommend picking up the leash and just following the puppy around, allowing no leash tension, so that they learn that you holding the other end of the leash if ok. For many puppies, I find that tension on the leash is what makes them freak out and start flailing around like a fish on a line.

Regardless of approach, it's always best to use your voice and treats to get him to follow you instead of pulling on the leash. When you pull on the leash, the dog's automatic reaction is to pull back. Also, start inside the house first, then progress to the yard.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

It's not supposed to be easy for HIM. It's supposed to be easy for YOU.

Any book on dog training will explain this in all the detail you need.

Just pick a method and stick with it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

am i a simpleton...? but i put a leash on and have some treats and away i go! make sure your hand is thru the loop on the leashe's handle. make it your right hand, hold the leash in your left hand dog is on your left side. basic heeling position, 2 hands holding on, good for safety and corrections.

is this your first dog? if so, then that could be why you sound hesitant. but it's simple...don't over think it. it sounds as if enrolling in a basic obedience class will give YOU a handle on the situation. there are some good videos out there on youtube and see if you find something that's basic and informative. i have suggested to numerious dog owners premire's puppy training guide. you can buy it on amazon and it's a combo of video, books and pamphlets which all are very helpful in getting YOU going on training your pup w/ lots of concrete info and tips as well as "how to". but a good teacher will correct you on the spot. it's worth every penny.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest greytgrandma

Roman doesnt freak out or balk he just wanders back & forth and all around.. Hot Rod used to wander too at first.It was just a matter of practice and I think Roman will get the hang of it with some practice.Angie said he steps on and bounces off Millie and gets the leashes tangled right away.Millie could care less .I think the treat idea is a good one. Thats what I used with Hot Rod( my sons first greyhound). We played the "look at me" game while we were on our walks and when he paid attention to me he got a treat. Hot Rod loved his treats .

cleptogrey; Roman & Millie are my son and his wifes dogs.I let them out to potty and walk them while Josh & Angie are at work. Hot Rod spent allot of time here at my house,I dont have a fence so leash walkin to potty is a must when they are here . Roman & Millie will also be spending quite a bit of time here at my house. Iv never had 2 dogs at once to walk :flip except for the very short time when Millie came to live with Hot Rod. Hot Rod was such a goof when I walked him & Millie he seemed to forget all his walking skills and went back to wandering :rolleyes: . I guess I am just over thinking it, I tend to do that sometimes. :blush I think I need to train myself not to over think everything. Ill give updates on how the walking is going

Angie wants to teach Roman to sit, so I was telling her how I taught Hot Rod to sit.

It sounds like you just need to leash him up and start walking. My fosters are usually not great on leash when they get here. I don't have a yard so all outs are leashed walks. Within a few days-a week, they are manageable. They seem top take lessons from my 2 and I'm pretty consistent about what I need them to do.

Youngin's are rarely respectful of the leash at the get go. He'll get it, but sorta needs some time and a bit of training. Remember it's totally new for him. Keep the leash short, keep him by your side, bring some reinforcement treats and off you go. With luck, he may just pick up on the walking with Millie nearby.

With Ryder, he would pull a lot. Took a while for him to realize that we weren't going anywhere until he'd stop pulling. If Roman is merely wandering about, it's just an attention thing - as in, he's giving everything that exists in the outside world attention (wouldn't you?), and isn't focused on a walk. He's out for a leisurely stroll to check pee mail because that is what is exciting.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest greytgrandma
Youngin's are rarely respectful of the leash at the get go. He'll get it, but sorta needs some time and a bit of training. Remember it's totally new for him. Keep the leash short, keep him by your side, bring some reinforcement treats and off you go. With luck, he may just pick up on the walking with Millie nearby.

With Ryder, he would pull a lot. Took a while for him to realize that we weren't going anywhere until he'd stop pulling. If Roman is merely wandering about, it's just an attention thing - as in, he's giving everything that exists in the outside world attention (wouldn't you?), and isn't focused on a walk. He's out for a leisurely stroll to check pee mail because that is what is exciting.

thanks for the tips .Like any young kid Roman has a short attention span :bounce8 I will probly need to find a really yummy treat to keep his attention.I dont think the plain old purina snaps will do it :sleepy

For Jjng...Roman is just a year and a half old, so, he's a racing school dropout and thus just hasn't had a ton of leash experience.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

OH goodness, I've never worked with a grey that young, but I WOULD NOT put a leash on him and follow him around. I really think that would be a BAD IDEA. That's sending totally the wrong message. Either leash him up and go for a walk, alone or with your other dog, or leash him up and teach him to follow YOU in the yard. If you're nevous about taking him out and about - put the leash on , and walk big squares in the yard, that YOU CHOOSE. Lots of verbal stuff. "Let's go" "stop". Use treats. But make it absolutely certain, from the minute you put that leash on - that YOU are in control.

If he freaks out - stop. If he goes the wrong way- stop. Just wait. Don't scold. Dogs are smart - they WILL get it if you are CLEAR with your directions. Praise for good behavior, and keep going. The MOST important thing - is that YOU are in control. The dog - and you- MUST believe that.

I've had fosters that tried to be "difficult" on-leash. I put them on yard-walk square. We'd go out, on-leash in our fenced yard (the boring yard that they get to run around in all the time) - and "square-walk" them. 10 feet forward, stop. left turn, 10 feet forward, stop, repeat, repeat, repeat. Until they understood that I held the leash. I didn't scold. I just walked, stopped. Turned. Walked. At every start-up I'd say "let's go", and at every stop I'd say "wait". When they did well, I praise. When they did stupid, I kept walking if I was walking, and stood still if I was at a stop. Every one came to figure out that it was better to follow me.

When I felt they were ready for "the outside" they were thrilled. When relapses happened, it was IMMEDIATELY back to walking the "Yard square"... and often , one turn around the square, and I could take the dog right out for a nice walk around the neighborhood. There were not many repeat relapses.

To clarify, the suggestions above to have the dog drag a leash and then follow him around are for puppies and adult dogs that have never worn a leash in their lives. I didn't know what the history of the OP's dog was, other than the comment that "he does not know how to walk on a leash at all".

Our group has gotten in the occasional 18-month-old grey, and they all have some basic experience with the leash. Even some of the older retired greyhounds will pull and not walk well on leash when they are distracted by a new and exciting environment. Dogs who have some experience with the leash don't tend to panic and thrash around on the end of the leash like a fish on the line (unless their spooks), but dogs who have never worn a leash before might,. And it's best to avoid that type of experience in a puppy or dog that you're introducing the leash to for the first time.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Scouts_mom

Hi, Greytgrandma,

Roman and Millie are very lucky dogs to land with your family.

If your DIL really wants to get into training Roman, she should look at the blog, "Never Say Never" ...http://www.neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/. That woman has trained her greys to do incredible things. She has good advice on training greys, plus has some extremely funny posts (look under swimming).

under 2 years of age.....he's a BIG puppy! it takes time and patience and lots of support!

first thing get rid of that nylon leash. i'm a firm believer in a good leather lead to start things off. i would most likely go w/ a 6ft- 3/4 " width. you will find that you have more control w/ the wider 3/4" leash. they do soften up and break in really quickly. it makes a big difference in walking a dog having a leash that doesn't slip or need to be wrapped around your hand. max200 is a fantastic resouce for good quality training leads. many schools buy them in bulk there. then it's finding guidance as i mentioned in my original post. your dogs is young enough to learn any and everything. take advantage of it!