Coughing Right After Eating/drinking

Guest k9soul

I'm a new greyhound mom to Rudy, who has been with me a week now. I've noticed he often gives a couple coughs after eating or drinking, nothing too serious but it is noticeable to me. Is this a common thing with greyhounds, maybe he's eating/drinking quickly, or possibly reflux? He doesn't seem to cough any other time. Thanks much for any insight :)

Probably eating too quickly. Hounds tend to really scarf down their food. Rocket still does it, even though there's no other dog here that is going to get his food.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I free feed so mine can eat whenever they want. Mason doesn't have that problem (but most of the food ends up on the ground when he eats...little bugger), but Molly does it as well. I think she's clearing her throat to announce to everyone that she's eaten and her needs have been met! :)

As long as she's not vomitting I don't worry--ok, I don't worry TOO much--I always find something to worry about! :)

Congrats on your new addition.

Guest Scouts_mom

It could be that they are eating too fast (common when they are new in a home). Try putting a heavy chain or tennis balls or ? in their bowls so they have to eat around it. Or use something like a bundt cake pan.

It could also be that their bowls are at the wrong level for them to eat easily. Try raising or lowering the bowls.

I add about a cup of water to their dry kibble meal; that seems to help the coughing here. Although I have one who's done it for the four years I've had him.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thanks all! He's loves food so I think he may just be gobbling it down quickly. I wondered if with that long neck they might get throat irritation more easily. No vomiting but sometimes coughs up a few kernels of food then gobbles back down right away. I often put a bit of plain yogurt or cottage cheese in with his meal but I may add a bit of water too.

Guest ashphobiax

glider does this, he eats too fast. we mix his food with a little bit of hot water to slow him down or sometimes we mix pumpkin in his food when we can get it. it seems to really help.

Guest ShireLover

Our 2 did this when we first got them. Now we add some warm water to their kibble and it doesn't happen as often. It still happens to Sophie every once in a while because she does everything fast.

I thought I'd update and say I added some water to his meal to make it more soupy, and it definitely made a difference. I didn't notice a single cough during or after he ate today.

Thanks much everyone for the tips!

• 3 months later...
Guest jimbye

i feed Rexie eagle dog food. the size of the food is rather small, i wonder if a bigger morsel size dog food would slow her down so she wouldnt gag on her food from eating so fast. what do other owners feed their hounds and are the size of the bits any bigger

Guest june

Large breed foods often have larger kibble which does help my pups. One girl is a real gobbler so I actually bought a "puppy pan" to feed her from. She has to chase the kibble down to eat it and it has helped her slow down considerably.