Canine Influenza Vaccine

What are your thoughts, pros and cons, of this vaccine? A friend told me today that the veterinary facility we use and actually all in that city are starting to require it for all their patients. I've been bringing Beanie in weekly for her chemo treatments and nothing has been mentioned to me about it. Do you think because of their cancers they are not requiring I have her or Bruiser vaccinated? My vet respects the fact that I do not want to over-vaccinate my dogs, but at the same time if there is greater benefit than risk I wonder if I should have them vaccinated.

Are you referring to the intra-nasal bordatella vaccine?

If so, it is the only one that Twiggy is cleared to have post-chemo, so I have to think that it is considered extremely safe. Also, I think it similar to the flu vaccine in humans - great if it contains the strain that you're exposed to, but not helpful for other strains floating around out there.

Sorry if I'm talking oranges to your apples! lol,

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

This one is new to me! Here's an interesting link for you on CIV.

Yes, this is what I'm referring to. After reading that brochure I have another question. From what I have read the canine influenza virus unlike the human influenza virus, which has new strains developing yearly, is of only one strain. If this is the case why would annual revaccination be necessary? I think I might send OSU an inquiry into their thoughts on vaccinating Beanie.

Yes, this is what I'm referring to. After reading that brochure I have another question. From what I have read the canine influenza virus unlike the human influenza virus, which has new strains developing yearly, is of only one strain. If this is the case why would annual revaccination be necessary? I think I might send OSU an inquiry into their thoughts on vaccinating Beanie.

Hmmm. Because most vets still subscribe to the annual vaccination program? I'd be interested in what OSU tells you.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Keep in mind that the first link above is the product brochure from the company that makes the canine flu vaccine. Here's an article that provides a more practical and realistic perspective. This is from a year ago, but as far I as know, the situation hasn't changed. There have been a few localized outbreaks, but for the most part, it's not a very widespread problem. If you live in one of the areas that's seen an outbreak, and your dogs are exposed to high-risk environments (boarding kennels, dog parks, grooming facilities, etc), I'd consider it, but otherwise, it's not a vaccine I'd recommend routinely.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Canine influenza and kennel cough are two different things. CIV is much from serious from what I understand.

Our vets' office from Vermont just posted this note about CIV on FB yesterday, along with a link.

Animal Hospital of Hinesburg shared a link : http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2165&EVetID=3003470
As many know, we have seen a lot of contagious respiratory disease in our area, especially from dogs that have been boarded or go to daycare. As we have looked further into this problem, testing is showing that we are in fact seeing canine... influenza as the predominate causative factor. The routine kennel cough vaccinations don't help with this, but there is a vaccine specifically for this disease. AHH has recently acquired the vaccination and is recommending it for dogs that are at risk. The link below has good background information. Also, please give us a call if you have questions. Our staff is knowledgeable about the latest on the outbreak and how we can protect your dog. Give us a call!

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

A year or two ago, when the vaccine was first being promoted (it's nothing that new), I asked my vet about it and he thought it was pretty much a crock and money-making scheme -- and he is always very up on the latest scientific studies of the actual effectiveness of things. I haven't asked him if he's changed his mind since -- I'm seeing him Monday and might.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

A year or two ago, when the vaccine was first being promoted (it's nothing that new), I asked my vet about it and he thought it was pretty much a crock and money-making scheme -- and he is always very up on the latest scientific studies of the actual effectiveness of things. I haven't asked him if he's changed his mind since -- I'm seeing him Monday and might.

What exactly does he think is a "crock", the pushing of the vaccine in areas there hasn't been an outbreak or the effectiveness of the vaccine?

I found these 2 articles interesting. The first is on the necessity of the vaccine and the second is on its effectiveness.

Vets on alert for canine flu, but most dogs don't need vaccine.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/pets/2009-08-30-canine-flu_N.htm

Canine influenza virus found effective against secondary infections.

http://www.news.wisc.edu/18212

Our dogs have all had the CIV. Little over a year ago our vet started recommending it. Then the boarding kennel did the same and soon required it.

Last April Gulf Greyhound Park outside of Houston shut down for a week due to what they believed was a canine influenza.

http://news92fm.com/240916/gulf-greyhound-back-in-operation-after-canine-influenza/

mssiggy2.jpg