Iams - Is There A Problem Again?

JohnF

A post on another dog forum where someone said their family dog died after eating Iams was initially treated with considerable skepicism by me. I looked into the background and there may indeed be a fire smouldering away. Take a look at some of the recent reports here:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/iams.html

I wonder if there was a bad batch made... alfatoxins... mold on sweet potato...?

I hope not as I often feed Iams for better poop control.

Guest borzoix4

Iams- from ethoxyquin, hidden ethoxyquin, to meat source of cancerous tumers, beaks,feathers, molded and rendered grains,euthenized dogs/pets ie valley proteins..... why am I not surprised to hear there is more.... ?

There is always a problem with Iams. It is junk.

Problem is it's the kind of 'junk' that keeps a lot of Greyhounds' stomachs working better than the the designer-marketed high protein junk at the top end and the real greyhound 'junk food' on the track.

There are those complaints in the link but nothing to counter them - what are we supposed to think? .... no smoke without fire?

Don't believe everything you hear. Most dog food companies have experienced recalls. It's a quality control issue, not a reflection of the food in general. Many grey owners, including myself, love Iams and swear by it.

Well you know what they say - one man's junk is another mans treasure. ;) Blue Buffalo (especially), Wellness, Nature's Recipe, Natural Balance, Innova and Califoria Natural were all junk for my Rex.

@John F - Buddy and Barkley are still eating Iams and doing just fine. I fed Iams for many years before people on here and on rating websites warned me about the evil demon corn cheap crap. Iams was what fixed him.

Many grey owners, including myself, love Iams and swear by it.

Only those not afraid to stand in the firing squad of the "no corn, no soy, no wheat, no by-products, no grain" police swear by it in public. ;)

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Can't say whether there is a problem or not, but I wouldn't trust that type of website. You can find similar reports for every food, cleaning product, etc. on the market.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sirsmom

I went on the consumer affairs site and typed Pro Plan and it was the same thing...horror stories. I did it again for Blue Buffalo and the same thing. I would not trust this site. I mix Iams red bag with other food as you do and have not had a problem.

I went on the consumer affairs site and typed Pro Plan and it was the same thing...horror stories. I did it again for Blue Buffalo and the same thing. I would not trust this site. I mix Iams red bag with other food as you do and have not had a problem.

Do you think that's a spam site... one set up to troll pet owners perhaps? Turn them away from popular brands? Would someone actually stoop so low to do that?

Do you think that's a spam site... one set up to troll pet owners perhaps? Turn them away from popular brands? Would someone actually stoop so low to do that?

I doubt it, but there are crusaders who believe that every commercial pet company is evil and feeds ground up tires and flea-collars. They'll take molehill and turn it into a mountain. IAMS has their own website to try to de-bunk all the bad publicity (www.iamstruth.com)

I doubt it, but there are crusaders who believe that every commercial pet company is evil and feeds ground up tires and flea-collars. They'll take molehill and turn it into a mountain. IAMS has their own website to try to de-bunk all the bad publicity (www.iamstruth.com)

http://www.iamstruth.com/AnimalActivist.do?pi=RP

I wonder what Iams would have done if the video referenced wasn't made public. Would business have gone on as usual? All they do here is try to vilify this woman who made the video and make excuses for their use of that facility.

I wonder what Iams would have done if the video referenced wasn't made public. Would business have gone on as usual? All they do here is try to vilify this woman who made the video and make excuses for their use of that facility.

1. That video is 10 years old. Yawn. Things have changed a lot in the last 10 years, including general thinking in care and treatment of animals. Look at the difference in the U.S. greyhound racing industry from 10 years ago.

2. Peta tries to villify everyone. Period.

You may remember that they called my friends father in Indiana several years ago. He was president of the local Ducks Unlimited chapter and they had scheduled a BBQ and skeet (clay pidgeon) shoot. The woman from Peta told him that they were going to protest and contact all the local news stations to record their outrage over the needless slaughter of innocent clay pidgeons. He told her to go right ahead.

<snip> they had scheduled a BBQ and skeet (clay pigeon) shoot. The woman from Peta told him that they were going to protest and contact all the local news stations to record their outrage over the needless slaughter of innocent clay pigeons. He told her to go right ahead.

This may be the completely most hi-larious item I've ever, ever read about PETA! :rofl: :rofl:

I don't know but as Sirsmom said, every food on that site gets bashed and has horror stories. Here are some random foods, number of reviews and complaints and percentage of one star ratings:

Nutro - 1,276 reviews and complaints - 79% one star

Purina - 519 reviews and complaints - 80% one star (does not distinguish between varieties and there are many at varying price points (Dog Chow, One, Pro Plan, etc.)

Canidae - 400 reviews and complaint - 67% one star

Iams - 342 reviews and complaints - 77% one star

Blue Buffalo - 166 reviews and complaints - 70% one star

Natural Balance - 164 reviews and complaints - 61% one star

Boy, there are a LOT of very dissatisifed dog owners out there.

1. That video is 10 years old. Yawn. Things have changed a lot in the last 10 years, including general thinking in care and treatment of animals.

A lot of things changed in the past ten years... and all the dogs in it were adopted by Iams employees.

I'd hate to think people would judge me over the stupid crap I did ten years ago :lol

1. That video is 10 years old. Yawn. Things have changed a lot in the last 10 years, including general thinking in care and treatment of animals. Look at the difference in the U.S. greyhound racing industry from 10 years ago.

While I don't think Iams should be judged now for what was done 10 years ago, I certainly don't think abuse is ever anything to "yawn" about. My point was they tried to place the blame on the person taking the video for what was going on instead of just admitting there was a problem and taking responsibility for it.

While I don't think Iams should be judged now for what was done 10 years ago, I certainly don't think abuse is ever anything to "yawn" about.

My "yawn" was that that video is 10 years old, the problems have been fixed and there should be other more current causes to broadcast.

Guest sirsmom

Some people complain about the dog food so they can get reimbursed for a health problem their dog already has etc, and there are some radicals out there that feel any processed food is crap, and you may even have employees of company A bashing Company B so people will be swayed toward Company A. I think the best thing to do is check for recalls from time to time at the FDA (they list all recalls that have taken place for a number of years)

Guest myboys4

Use whatever works for your Grey, that's my opinion. I feed Iams Healthy Naturals chix and something mixed with Iams Grain Free Chix and something. That is what works for my kids! Thanks for listening!

I am always concerned about what I feed my pups. As so many have said there are problems out there with most dog foods. Iams has been the food they enjoy most, their coats are bright and shiny and they are healthy. I'd love it if I could afford (and had the time) to cook for my dogs, but I don't so I try to give them the best I can. I've tried more expensive brands (Blue Buffalo) and less expensive brands (Diamond) but they don't seem to agree with their tums so we stick to Iams. I think most of us try to do the best we can for our pups. Part of that is paying attention to what is going on and then using good judgement to see if what is reported is accurate.