Naturvet Digestive Enzymes With Prebiotics & Probiotics

Sometimes it is hard to tell whether it's Fred or Kimba who is having troubles with gas, but the general opinion is that Fred is the culprit. Both hounds have firm stools, and I have tried adding pumpkin and yogurt, which they love, but gas is still a problem. In checking threads, I saw that some dogs were helped by Fortiflora, but when I looked it up on 1800PetMeds I saw that I would have to buy it through my vet, which will, I know from bitter experience, make it extremely expensive. They offered, in its stead, NaturVet Digestive Enzymes with Prebiotics & Probiotics, which I found on Amazon.com for very reasonable prices. However, the description of the product makes the point that this is NOT something to be used on a regular basis; I gather that you use it for a week or ten days, the problem gets addressed, hopefuly, and then you discontinue use. However, the comments of the reviewers seem to ignore this recommendation; they say that they use it on a permanent basis. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with this product as to their success with it, and whether they use it intermittently or regularly.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Guest Clawsandpaws
Sometimes it is hard to tell whether it's Fred or Kimba who is having troubles with gas, but the general opinion is that Fred is the culprit. Both hounds have firm stools, and I have tried adding pumpkin and yogurt, which they love, but gas is still a problem. In checking threads, I saw that some dogs were helped by Fortiflora, but when I looked it up on 1800PetMeds I saw that I would have to buy it through my vet, which will, I know from bitter experience, make it extremely expensive. They offered, in its stead, NaturVet Digestive Enzymes with Prebiotics & Probiotics, which I found on Amazon.com for very reasonable prices. However, the description of the product makes the point that this is NOT something to be used on a regular basis; I gather that you use it for a week or ten days, the problem gets addressed, hopefuly, and then you discontinue use. However, the comments of the reviewers seem to ignore this recommendation; they say that they use it on a permanent basis. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with this product as to their success with it, and whether they use it intermittently or regularly.

I don't know about the other products, but forti flora is 30/box (30 packets) from my vet. I would also prefer a longer lasting alternative as my vet is farther away!

Guest BiancasMom

I used this same product (Naturvet) and have done so for at least 6 months. Where does it say it is for temporary use? I have had no problems with it and use it for both my Greyhound and my Aussie mix. I put it on their food daily and they don't even notice it is there.

What are NaturVet Digestive Enzymes with Prebiotics & Probiotics?

NaturVet Digestive Enzymes with Prebiotics & Probiotics is a concentrated enzyme blend derived from vegetable sources that comes in powder form and helps promote a healthy digestive tract in dogs and cats. 10803_individual.jpgFor:

Cats (over the age of 6 weeks)

Dogs (over the age of 6 weeks)

Benefits: • Strengthens immune system • Normalizes bowel movements • Slows the growth of disease-causing bacteria • Lasts a 50 lb dog 113 days when used at the recommended dosage • There are no side effects

How it works:

Prebiotics help to support your pet's naturally occurring beneficial bacteria. Probiotics contain a blend of live microorganisms recommended to help support a healthy digestive tract and maintain a healthy immune system. NaturVet Digestive Enzymes with Prebiotics & Probiotics will last approximately 113 days when feed twice a day to a 50 lb dog.

Cautions:

NaturVet Digestive Enzymes with Prebiotics & Probiotics is only meant for intermittent use.

This is the product description from i800petmeds; as you can see, it states as a caution that it is only meant for intermittent use.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

techinically we are replacing the missing flora in the gut w/ probiotics. the replacement should multiply and maintain itself after it's introduced. that's most likely why your vet has prescribed it for a short period of time, no?

the active probiotic in FortiFlora is Enterococcus faecium. from what i have read that's the most important probiotic that dogs need. the other band does not offer it. it's ingredients are really similar to combining digestive enzymes and probiotics from the vitamin shoppe.

Edited by cleptogrey

Don't waste your money on anything that says "Strengthens immune system." Giant red flag that it's a crock o' you-know-what.

Most enzymes won't survive the stomach's highly acidic environment, so I wouldn't pay for those either.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I had the chewable ones from Naturvet. Not sure if it's the same that you're talking about. They did about nothing. Forti-Flora was good during a food transition, but I didn't see 100% improvement until we switched to green bag.

I agree that sometimes a combined approach is needed. My 14.5 YO whippet Rickie was having issues with producing a TON of poop on every walk, much of it mushy. Fortiflora helped, and independently, I like to think it helps with nutrient absorption but otherwise it didn't have any perceptible effect.

After some research and a couple of false starts (think eye-watering gas) we tried a food called Now. No idea if it's available in the US but it has been great for Rickie. He's still a big producer but it's formed and I think total volume is down, though I had hoped for better in that direction.