Peeing In His Sleep

Guest cwholsin

Guest cwholsin

Our 7.5 yearold boy has peed in his sleep twice, we think. The first time he was witnessed: he was snoozing on a bed and I heard a pee noise. Looking wildly around, I saw Nash jump up from a big pee puddle- totally confused. Today, we woke up to find a comparatively small wet spot on the bed Nash was sleeping on last night. Anybody idea why? The two incidents were weeks apart.

Harold, age 13.5, pees in his sleep. As they get older the sphincter must not work as well. There are medications that can help, but before using them:

-get a urinalysis to check his renal function or infection

-monitor his water intake

-note any extra urges to go out to pee while awake

Due to failing kidneys, Harold cannot take medicines that would help control his leakages. He wears a belly band with a pad while we are out of the house. While we are home we give him lots of outside time. And we have washable pads covering the dog beds.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I would take him in for a urinalysis and have his kidney function checked just to be on the safe side. I'm paranoid, I guess, since I just lost my Cruz to kidney failure.

My boy, Keno, now at the bridge, had that happen a few times when he had hurt his back running and playing like a madman, but a chiropractic adjustment fixed it immediately.

I hope it is nothing serious. Let us know.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hopefully it's something simple like a UTI, but there's always a chance that it could be something more serious. Better safe than sorry with a vet check. I mentioned seizures because my Henry will occasionally void his bladder after a grand mal seizure (he gets very confused afterwards). He's only five and has been having seizures since age 3.

Guest cwholsin

I do think something's going on... Nash has been extra needy today. He's always been a velcro boy, but today he was actually whining at points when we stop petting him. We joke that his quota of pets is infinite lol

• 2 weeks later...

Checking for an update.

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest cwholsin

We decided to try behavioral first since he was just at the vet for having accidents over one weekend in November. We did a urinalysis which came back totally normal and no sign of infection. We figured it was situational- we had moved into a tiny stinky 2nd floor apartment and have since rented a house w/ nice backyard. He's been getting an extra out before bed, and we haven't had any pee since. If he has another accident in his sleep or otherwise, it's straight to the vet for bloodwork.

Behaviorally he had a day or two where he seemed extra sensitive, but then went back to his normal self.

Edited by cwholsin

Good to hear. Hope there are no further problems. :)

relaxed bladder??? went thru this w/ felix last winter. one week of des and it's function is back to normal. what has your vet said? we did dipstick first, all normal, a week of des and it worked! i think if it was behavioral he would be away and standing and pee! he has no control of his behavior in his sleep and this is only happening when he's sleeping.,no?

Greyhound Gang offers Azmira's Incontinence Formula, with proceeds helping hounds.

It's natural, inexpensive and easy to just squirt in food.

Kidni Kare, a standardized herbal extract from Azmira, can help with urinary incontinence in young or old pets or humans. It's also a restorative tonic which strengthens the musculature of the pelvic organs.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cwholsin

Aaaaaaaand we have another pee episode. This time he was awake. We were all in the basement an hour and a half after the dogs had dinner and their post-dinner potty. Nash was just wandering around, and I told him to go lay down on a blanket on the floor. He went to the blanket, looked like he was going to settle, and started peeing.

A vet visit is definitely in order. In reviewing the posts, we should ask to get bloodwork and another urinalysis to check his kidneys, and discuss what else may be causing incontinence. I really don't think this is a behavioral issue. We've always thought his pee behavior was a little odd: he always has a lot of pee, will pee for several minutes even if it's just little squirts coming out, and we've never seen him be able to stop peeing midstream. I'll let the vet know this too, in case it sheds light on his pee incidents.

Edited by cwholsin