Is He Really Starving?

Guest Clawsandpaws

Guest Clawsandpaws

I have had Sir Dudley since this past Feb. Recently I have begun volunteering at my adoption kennel with morning turnouts, which start at 6 am. The kennels are about an hour away, so I will often feed Dudley right when I wake up, around 4:30 am. He normally eats at 7 am and 5:30-6pm .I get home usually around 1 pm, by 3 pm, Dudley is barking, whining and in general just acting like I am torturing him.

He gets several cookies throughout the day, but always around 3 he is dying to eat, so I have been feeding him about 1/4 cup to hold him over. It is more of just a curiosity, but is he really THAT hungry? Even after his afternoon snack he will pout until dinner time! He should feel lucky, the kennel dogs get one meal a day!

How's his weight? What's he eating and how much?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

can you maybe feed him like 2/3 the amount (of whatever you give him for the day) and 1/3 at night? maybe going 13 hours with just 1/2 and 1/2 is getting him hungry?

or you can add low-calorie things to his morning meal to "beef" it up, like green beans, carrots, non-fat yogurt, that kind of stuff?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Clawsandpaws
How's his weight? What's he eating and how much?
He's 67 lbs, healthy (no worms, GI issues, just went to the vet last week for a Urinalysis and they did a full work up on him aside from that) He eats BB Freedom (Grain free) 2 cups twice a day.
can you maybe feed him like 2/3 the amount (of whatever you give him for the day) and 1/3 at night? maybe going 13 hours with just 1/2 and 1/2 is getting him hungry?

or you can add low-calorie things to his morning meal to "beef" it up, like green beans, carrots, non-fat yogurt, that kind of stuff?

That's a great idea, I usually only do that to his dinner. Quite frankly I don't know if I will feeling like pulling out all the extras so early in the am!

He's 67 lbs, healthy (no worms, GI issues, just went to the vet last week for a Urinalysis and they did a full work up on him aside from that) He eats BB Freedom (Grain free) 2 cups twice a day.That's a great idea, I usually only do that to his dinner. Quite frankly I don't know if I will feeling like pulling out all the extras so early in the am!

:lol to make it easier you can probably pre-pack up a few days' worth (or the next day and just prepare it every day) and keep it in the fridge and just dump it out onto his food at 4:30am?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Clawsandpaws

:lol to make it easier you can probably pre-pack up a few days' worth (or the next day and just prepare it every day) and keep it in the fridge and just dump it out onto his food at 4:30am?

Ugh, I guess I'll have to. He's turning me into a mom :(

Ugh, I guess I'll have to. He's turning me into a mom :(

seeing how much he enjoys it I'll bet you'll feel good :)

I actually make one of Larry's add-ins -- it started with making Nube's carb-free homemade food (he stopped getting kibble) and Larry liked it so he got some too. I vary it up depending on what proteins are on sale when I make a batch -- the current one has (tinned) sardines (that I got as much of the oil off as I could), a can of pink salmon and 3.5 lbs of cooked ground beef. I put a bag of defrosted broccoli and a bag of defrosted green beans in the food processor and gave it a whiz (veggies have to be either pulverized if raw or cooked and smooshed up in order for them to get any nutritional benefit out of them). Then just mix it all up and freeze it in quart containers :) If you wanted to go that route you could spend an hour or so a couple times a month and just put a scoop in his food right out of the container, easy peasy :) I put maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 cup with each meal (he is now only eating 2 times a day, we always fed 3 times when the vet suggested that when Nube got bloat and now that Nube's gone we brought him down to 2 times a day).

Guest Clawsandpaws

seeing how much he enjoys it I'll bet you'll feel good :)

I actually make one of Larry's add-ins -- it started with making Nube's carb-free homemade food (he stopped getting kibble) and Larry liked it so he got some too. I vary it up depending on what proteins are on sale when I make a batch -- the current one has (tinned) sardines (that I got as much of the oil off as I could), a can of pink salmon and 3.5 lbs of cooked ground beef. I put a bag of defrosted broccoli and a bag of defrosted green beans in the food processor and gave it a whiz (veggies have to be either pulverized if raw or cooked and smooshed up in order for them to get any nutritional benefit out of them). Then just mix it all up and freeze it in quart containers :) If you wanted to go that route you could spend an hour or so a couple times a month and just put a scoop in his food right out of the container, easy peasy :) I put maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 cup with each meal (he is now only eating 2 times a day, we always fed 3 times when the vet suggested that when Nube got bloat and now that Nube's gone we brought him down to 2 times a day).

When I first adopted him, I went crazy each week pre-making all his "mix ins"! My bf is such a picky eater, so we get take out A LOT, but I love love love cooking so it was a lot of fun at first, but I made such large batches that I would have to throw food out before they made it to his bowl! How many sardines do you give him? Do you feed them whole? Do they make his breath smelly? I learned the hard way about mushing up the veggies after Dudley pooped whole baby carrots (could've just rinsed them off to reuse!) Dudley is my first dog, so I am still learning the ropes!

When I first adopted him, I went crazy each week pre-making all his "mix ins"! My bf is such a picky eater, so we get take out A LOT, but I love love love cooking so it was a lot of fun at first, but I made such large batches that I would have to throw food out before they made it to his bowl! How many sardines do you give him? Do you feed them whole? Do they make his breath smelly? I learned the hard way about mushing up the veggies after Dudley pooped whole baby carrots (could've just rinsed them off to reuse!) Dudley is my first dog, so I am still learning the ropes!

I'm a chef so I love to cook a lot too :lol and MMMMMM nothing says "get the Ranch dressing out" like whole pooped out carrots :lol

it was the standard 3.75 oz rectangular tin of sardines (in oil, which I removed and blotted them very dry), one 14.75 oz can of pink salmon, maybe 3.5 lbs of hamburger (cooked and well drained/sponged with paper towels), one 16oz bag of broccoli and one 16 oz bag of cut beans. This made just under 3 quarts worth and can be frozen ( 16 oz deli containers are ideal) so you only have defrosted what you need for several days and you won't be tossing out product :) since it was all mixed into one big mix I don't know how many sardines he got on average. Nah, his breath didn't smell any worse after eating it but he CAN lay some pretty bad farts (Think it's the cruciferous veggies like the cabbage and broccoli that is to blame mostly! :lol)

I vary it up all the time, sometimes I cube (very small) boneless pork chops or loin roast and simmer that to use, or use ground turkey if I can find it cheap, and sometimes I cook chicken breast then chop it up small -- but poultry has so much stuff given to them over their life I know chicken can be the cause of a lot of allergies so I don't use that as often. Using ground meat makes it a bit easier, nothing to chop up and I just put it in a very large rimmed pan and roast it at 375 for 15 minutes or so until cooked. Several times I used salmon fillets from Costco, just simmered in water. For the veggies, I sometimes use fresh kale, sweet potato (nuked and scooped out), carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage; or, frozen spinach, collard greens, mixed veggies, whatever I have on hand. Just (obviously!) need to stay away from garlic, grapes or anything in the onion family. When I was making it in much bigger batches for the 2 of them, that Mann's broccoli slaw stuff was a huge time saver -- it's finely shredded cabbage, broccoli and carrots only took a few pulses in the food processor and was a LOT less messy than chopping broccoli (those little green flowers get EVERYWHERE when I chop them!). You can add cooked brown rice, pasta, whatever you like if you want some starches in there.

Edited by RaineysMom

Guest Clawsandpaws

I'm a chef so I love to cook a lot too :lol and MMMMMM nothing says "get the Ranch dressing out" like whole pooped out carrots :lol

it was the standard 3.75 oz rectangular tin of sardines (in oil, which I removed and blotted them very dry), one 14.75 oz can of pink salmon, maybe 3.5 lbs of hamburger (cooked and well drained/sponged with paper towels), one 16oz bag of broccoli and one 16 oz bag of cut beans. This made just under 3 quarts worth and can be frozen ( 16 oz deli containers are ideal) so you only have defrosted what you need for several days and you won't be tossing out product :) since it was all mixed into one big mix I don't know how many sardines he got on average. Nah, his breath didn't smell any worse after eating it but he CAN lay some pretty bad farts (Think it's the cruciferous veggies like the cabbage and broccoli that is to blame mostly! :lol)

I vary it up all the time, sometimes I cube (very small) boneless pork chops or loin roast and simmer that to use, or use ground turkey if I can find it cheap, and sometimes I cook chicken breast then chop it up small -- but poultry has so much stuff given to them over their life I know chicken can be the cause of a lot of allergies so I don't use that as often. Using ground meat makes it a bit easier, nothing to chop up and I just put it in a very large rimmed pan and roast it at 375 for 15 minutes or so until cooked. Several times I used salmon fillets from Costco, just simmered in water. For the veggies, I sometimes use fresh kale, sweet potato (nuked and scooped out), carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage; or, frozen spinach, collard greens, mixed veggies, whatever I have on hand. Just (obviously!) need to stay away from garlic, grapes or anything in the onion family. When I was making it in much bigger batches for the 2 of them, that Mann's broccoli slaw stuff was a huge time saver -- it's finely shredded cabbage, broccoli and carrots only took a few pulses in the food processor and was a LOT less messy than chopping broccoli (those little green flowers get EVERYWHERE when I chop them!). You can add cooked brown rice, pasta, whatever you like if you want some starches in there.

I just emailed all that to myself so I won't lose it, man is your boy spoiled! ;) I am so bad with tupperware, I should've asked for some good Pyrex stuff for Christmas! The one thing Dudley wont eat is any leafy vegetable, but I never tried to put them in a food processor either...

I just emailed all that to myself so I won't lose it, man is your boy spoiled! ;) I am so bad with tupperware, I should've asked for some good Pyrex stuff for Christmas! The one thing Dudley wont eat is any leafy vegetable, but I never tried to put them in a food processor either...

:rolleyes: and he KNOWS he's spoiled :lol he's worth everything I do for him :)

you can probably just go to your local supermarket and ask to buy some from the deli :) when I was working and making soup for donations to the greyhounds, I would buy 50 quart sized (with lids) for like $7.50. Much cheaper than a restaurant supply store! They will almost certainly sell you them :) I need to get some of the 16 oz size myself, the quart is taking too long to go through.

Nube wouldn't eat leafy stuff either but all pulverized up, and mixed with meat, no problem! :)

Edited by RaineysMom

Guest Clawsandpaws

:rolleyes and he KNOWS he's spoiled :lol he's worth everything I do for him :)

you can probably just go to your local supermarket and ask to buy some from the deli :) when I was working and making soup for donations to the greyhounds, I would buy 50 quart sized (with lids) for like $7.50. Much cheaper than a restaurant supply store! They will almost certainly sell you them :) I need to get some of the 16 oz size myself, the quart is taking too long to go through.

Nube wouldn't eat leafy stuff either but all pulverized up, and mixed with meat, no problem! :)

I love my deli people so I will definitely ask :) thanks!

It's harder for some dogs to keep weight on when they're on grain-free diets. If his weight is good, I would either bump up his kibble or add in some high-protein mix-ins. Also, if you think he's hungry, feed him. I don't really find that greyhounds as a breed are the types of dogs who will eat and eat and eat until they become overweight. Even my 15-month-old (voracious eater) will stop when he's full.

Guest Clawsandpaws
It's harder for some dogs to keep weight on when they're on grain-free diets. If his weight is good, I would either bump up his kibble or add in some high-protein mix-ins. Also, if you think he's hungry, feed him. I don't really find that greyhounds as a breed are the types of dogs who will eat and eat and eat until they become overweight. Even my 15-month-old (voracious eater) will stop when he's full.

I think Dudley is the exception to that :( He has eaten an entire 15lb bag of Rx cat food before, and still wanted more. My bf and I have fed him three times on accident in one night (I fed him early around 4, bf fed him when he got home at 6, and when I came back I forgot that I fed him and fed him again! We have also gave him double dinners about 4 times) Each time he acted like it was his first meal in days!!!

Guest Clawsandpaws
How is his weight? I've had dogs like that that had tape worm or hook.
He is 67, no worms, he routinely has fecals, well, they shouldn't be routine but I panic easily so they became routine, and he has had a lot of dewormers (broad spec) since I adopted him. Maybe he will calm down more as the years go on?

Guest grey_dreams

Just wanted to add this for consideration for anyone reading this thread: A friend's dog was always hungry. Always always always. It drove her crazy. He had a multitude of behavioral problems because of it - counter surfing, eating a lot of bad things that caused emergency vet visits, scarfing up all the garbage on the street when they walked. He was also thin, but not alarmingly so, so they chalked it up to his high energy level. She had him for so many tests with regular vet and alternative vets. Finally, after about three years of this ongoing struggle, a new vet thought to check his pancreatic enzymes. Turns out he had exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. It is easily treatable, you buy enzymes to add to the food, or you can buy food with the enzymes already added. It was magic. This out of control dog became very calm and easy, the behavioral problems disappeared, and he was a complete love and joy for my friend. He had acted like he was always hungry because he was. From what I understand, it's kind of a rare disorder, so maybe not all vets might think to test for it.

I have never met a dog who didn't act like it was starving at all times if they believed there was ANY chance they could get food out of me.

I expect you're being played--and it sounds like it's working like a charm!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Just wanted to add this for consideration for anyone reading this thread: A friend's dog was always hungry. Always always always. It drove her crazy. He had a multitude of behavioral problems because of it - counter surfing, eating a lot of bad things that caused emergency vet visits, scarfing up all the garbage on the street when they walked. He was also thin, but not alarmingly so, so they chalked it up to his high energy level. She had him for so many tests with regular vet and alternative vets. Finally, after about three years of this ongoing struggle, a new vet thought to check his pancreatic enzymes. Turns out he had exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. It is easily treatable, you buy enzymes to add to the food, or you can buy food with the enzymes already added. It was magic. This out of control dog became very calm and easy, the behavioral problems disappeared, and he was a complete love and joy for my friend. He had acted like he was always hungry because he was. From what I understand, it's kind of a rare disorder, so maybe not all vets might think to test for it.

Thank you for this.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Clawsandpaws
I just called my vet and left a message about this. He will probably laugh but then politely oblige -_- He doesn't really have any "serious" behavioral problems but if you have food in your hand (not on a plate) he will try his best to get it. He also does not get much exercise but maintains his weight, which is actually a few pounds below racing, which my vet believes is from a loss of muscle. (I posted a topic on that previously)
What color is his poop? Usually the poop goes to a lighter color. If there is a slight insuffiency, it might not. Kind of looks like cream of baby crap.

His first poop is a very normal solid brown, as the day goes on it gets lighter. If he goes to the park, he will poop about 6 times and the last poop is a wet, light droplet basically. Does that usually mean an insufficiency?

I have never met a dog who didn't act like it was starving at all times if they believed there was ANY chance they could get food out of me.

I expect you're being played--and it sounds like it's working like a charm!

I hope I'm being played!!! If he's tired (like today) he usually wont bark, I will let you know in about 15 minutes when it turns 3pm!

I think Dudley is the exception to that :( He has eaten an entire 15lb bag of Rx cat food before, and still wanted more. My bf and I have fed him three times on accident in one night (I fed him early around 4, bf fed him when he got home at 6, and when I came back I forgot that I fed him and fed him again! We have also gave him double dinners about 4 times) Each time he acted like it was his first meal in days!!!

Wow, that's crazy! Maybe he is the exception. I know other breeds (like labs and retrievers) will become lazy and eat until they're obese. My experience with greyhounds has been different. One thing you said got me thinking though... It's a little unusual that he lost weight after you adopted him. They usually gain a few pounds when they're done racing. The muscle mass does goes down somewhat with less activity, but the ribs fill out and they get a little stockier. Do you have him on grain-free for a medical reason?

Guest Clawsandpaws

Wow, that's crazy! Maybe he is the exception. I know other breeds (like labs and retrievers) will become lazy and eat until they're obese. My experience with greyhounds has been different. One thing you said got me thinking though... It's a little unusual that he lost weight after you adopted him. They usually gain a few pounds when they're done racing. The muscle mass does goes down somewhat with less activity, but the ribs fill out and they get a little stockier. Do you have him on grain-free for a medical reason?

He raced at 69, when I adopted him, he shot up to 73 in the first month, around 5 months of home living he dropped to the 67 and has maintained that weight. There has been a lot of speculation and testing, but the vet who has worked with greyhounds for a long time, believes it to be muscle loss. Dudley does not run very often, only if he is at the park, and after a poo, and only runs to me. He gets walked 3 times a day, but he is a lot less built than when I had him. You can feel and kinda see the last two ribs, but he still has a slim waist.

My kennel manager (the group I adopted him from has their kennel along side the racing kennels) said that he could have very well been on steroids while racing (I didn't ask about all the regulations and such) So maybe that could account for it. He has no medical reason to be on grain-free except that the BB freedom gave him good poops after trying a few others.