Surgery Pending

Please tell me the name of the medicine a Greyhound should be on before surgery to help control bleeding? Da Vid is faced with his second back surgery and this time the doctor is talking bout pins and "concrete" in his lower back. He has been in water therapy and laser therapy for 3 weeks with no help. Thanks

It's Amicar, also called aminocaproic acid. See the link here. Also, there's a PDF here on the Ohio State site. You could email the PDF to the vet or print the file and take a copy with you.

ETA: The PDF is about bone cancer, but Amicar is used to control bleeding in amputations and is discussed on page 3 of the PDF. The PDF says this:

Aminocaproic acid (AA - Amicar®) is a commercially available inhibitor of fibrinolysis (procoagulant) commonly used in humans with postoperative bleeding that can be administered IV or by mouth. Administration of AA (500-1,000 mg PO q8h for 5 days starting the day of the surgery) prevented severe postoperative bleeding in Greyhounds undergoing surgery.
Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Found it! I knew it was somewhere on my Facebook page...

From OSU:

One of the medical problems noted in Greyhounds is unexplained bleeding after procedures, especially surgeries. This may occur up to 3 days after the procedure, and looks like a large bruise. While it is important to rule out the usual causes for bleeding in dogs (e.g. Von Willebrand's disease), and treat accordingly, an additional therapy we've had good success with is aminocaproic acid (aka Amicar). This can be given at any point - i.e. right after surgery, or even after bruising is noted. It can help within hours, and no side effects have been noted. This is available at human pharmacies. The recommended dosage is 500 mg, 3 times per day by mouth, for 5 days.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

My vet does not keep Amicar in stock, but they will order it prior to any of my greys having surgery.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks for the harness site. I am also looking at Handicappedpets.com This is the site I believe my vet uses. I think I want more of a sling than a harness because I don't want anything touching his butt or hips. They want measurements so will try to do that tomorrow. Really need it get it before the surgery so I can fit it and won't be fiddling with it when he is in pain. Not sure if this is the right decision about the surgery, but I cannot watch him hobble for the rest of his life. If I didn't live so far from OSU I would connect them, but not sure how I would do follow up visits. It is about 14 hours away and my old car probably would not make it. I would be making the trip by myself. So, guess I will use the speciality hospital in Charleston, SC. Thanks