Help With Our Gassy Hound

Guest KPS915

Miss Lila has had awful gas the past few weeks. Poor hound could peel paint off of walls. At first we thought it was from being on antibiotics, but she finished those two weeks ago.

No changes in food, we give her a probiotic in her food at both meals. We feed kibble - Taste of the Wild.

Output is firm and regular. No unusual treats lately - mostly just kibble and grain free biscuits.

Any suggestions?

I'd try to isolate what it could be from a dietary standpoint. How long has she been on TOTW? When we tried the TOTW High Prairie, it took awhile (probably 6-8 weeks), then Henry started having all kinds of allergy-type issues. Neither of my dogs do well on grain-free anything. :unsure

She's been on TOTW since before we adopted her back in August. Her fosters were feeding that when they had her. I'm not sure what her prior adopters were feeding. Would allergy type issues crop up 5-6 months later? We haven't changed the variety - she's been on the Pacific Stream the entire time.

Hmmm... there are dogs who have been the same food for years, then all of a sudden develop an allergy or intolerance to it. But if she's been on TOTW for five months and still has firm poops, and the gas is the ONLY thing going on... then I'm inclined to believe it might be something else. Maybe her GI tract is having a hard time recovering from the digestive bacteria that was killed by the antibiotics. What kind of probiotics are you using? We've had luck in the past with FortiFlora.

Hmmm... there are dogs who have been the same food for years, then all of a sudden develop an allergy or intolerance to it. But if she's been on TOTW for five months and still has firm poops, and the gas is the ONLY thing going on... then I'm inclined to believe it might be something else. Maybe her GI tract is having a hard time recovering from the digestive bacteria that was killed by the antibiotics. What kind of probiotics are you using? We've had luck in the past with FortiFlora.

Good thinking. I think you might be on to something regarding the digestive bacteria and the antibiotics. I was trying to think of other possibilities aside from the food that could cause the gas issue and aside from maybe worms was drawing a blank. And yes, as you stated a food intolerance can arise at any time. Nadir has developed intolerances to rice, fish and beef after eating them for years. With him even the smallest amounts of these foods affect his bladder to the point he has sudden uncontrolled voiding.

Maybe I'll give FotiFlora a shot, we're just using generic ones from Whole Foods.

I've given my Wendy FortiFlora daily since we got her on the advice of our vet. The paint has not peeled off the walls since!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Okay, FotiFlora it is, I'll place an order and see if that helps. Her poops have been good - sometimes the second or third round are a little runnier, but that seems to be pretty normal. But she's been pretty firm and bouncy.

• 2 weeks later...

probiotics, digestive enzymes, reduction of food intake(yup, that's an easy one) all help. if the consistancy of the stool is off- irregular often that wonder drug flagyl will be your best friend. but i do notice that when dh feeds the dogs the gas levels elevate in our house- no matter what is being fed. to the point he tops off the food since "they look so malnourished". (give me a break). every time he says."i'm going to feed the dogs" i scream,"NOOOOO!!!" mine are maintaining their weight during the winter on 1/4c less per meal. also the two have really matured, they are now 5.5 years old and seem to need less food.

if you look for a generic probiotic/digestive enzyme it's the entercou.....what ever that dog's need. i usually get ok results w/ vitamin shoppe's own brand, morning and night i just pull the capsule apart and mix it in the food.(i take them as well)

My own Lila has been stinker than usual the past couple weeks. It is pretty common for these dogs to get gassy when they are worried or something is different. For my girl, the holidays with a tree in the house and many more visitors than normal (who may be slipping her snacks) is enough to produce an occasional room clearer. Just something to consider, especially since everything else is regular….

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest blueberri

I tried to assist the boy's guts by adding plain yoghurt to his dinner. I asked DH to get plain, or greek yoghurt with probiotics, but he got normal greek. Am trying it anyway... it is either making no difference, or making his farts so much worse! Interestingly, he is pooping less (frequency & volume).

I have no idea! I'm planning to go raw. Take that big D!

I tried to assist the boy's guts by adding plain yoghurt to his dinner. I asked DH to get plain, or greek yoghurt with probiotics, but he got normal greek. Am trying it anyway... it is either making no difference, or making his farts so much worse! Interestingly, he is pooping less (frequency & volume).

I have no idea! I'm planning to go raw. Take that big D!

He could be lactose intolerant which would explain the extra foul emissions when he was fed the yoghurt. I think you and him both will be very happy with going raw.

i agree w/ the lactose intolerance, man do my dogs LOVE yoghurt and cottage cheese, but it doesn't love them. have you considered temporarily feeding over cooked rice and one form of protien(30% ration) until things clear up. add the probiotics and digestive enzymes to that, it does take a while to build up the necessary flora in their gut. then if the gas situation is resolved sloooooooooowly reintroduce kibble. you will know what the cultprit is very quickly. also, many dogs have gas prior to full blown "D" if there is a bacteria growing...but it sounds like food intolerance. these stupid manufactures put way too many ingredients and suppliments in their foods(imho)