Kibble Recommendations

Guest Dbuck

Hi all,

I am about to adopt my first greyhound! He is a 3 1/2 year old male. I imagine this has been discussed before but could you give me some recommendations on a good quality kibble. I would like something in the middle of pricing. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive. I am interested in getting him good nutrition and reduce stool volume. Looking forward to the great info on this site!

Edited by Dbuck

Guest team_tonio

Congrats on your boy! If you search the forums there are some really great threads rating kibble. See what he is eating now and how he does on it. Personally we like natural balance limited ingredient diet sweet potato and venison. Good luck and welcome!

check out the first topic in food and dietary on this blog, "grade for kibble". welcome to the world of finding the "right food" for your dog. it's almost guaranteed once you find it, the manufacturer will change the recipe. my advice: shop locally, make sure the store has a good return policy and don't switch too often. introduce the "new" kibble very very slowly and start off with what your adoption group had him on to begin with...enjoy your new pup.

You're going to get a million different responses. People are loyal to their dog food! FWIW, the only thing that worked for us is Iams green bag. Our greys didn't tolerate any of the organic, grain-free, limited ingredient mumbo jumbo. Unfortunately, track greyhounds often come to us with digestive insensitivities and LOTS of diarrhea. People usually do a lot of testing and tweaking to get the food just right. One piece of advice is, find out what their current food is and (assuming they are doing well on it) do not try to switch cold turkey. Continue feeding him what he's used to at first, then do a gradual (25%-50%-75%) switch if you want to change it.

ETA: Stool volume is what it is. Big dogs = big poop!

Edited by a_daerr

Guest Wasserbuffel

My grey has a cast iron stomach and does well on just about anything I feed her. She had a little urinary trouble when she was on Pro Plan, but that's about it.

I have never tried it, but it seems like a lot of people like the Kirkland Brand from Costco. If you are looking for quality ingredient list comparative to price, I think that is one of the best deals. It is just a matter of what your pup does well on (grey tummies can be sensitive!).

Guest WhiteWave

Below are some foods I've used with good results and they are more affordable than other. Each page has a locater page so you can find a retailer near you. Also there are many online places to get food. Petflow.com, chewy.com, doggiefood.com, petbest.com, rocketpetz.com

Fromm Gold http://frommfamily.com/products/gold

Victor http://victordogfood.com/

Eagle Pack http://eaglepack.com/

Native http://www.nativedogfood.com/

Pro Pac http://www.propacpetfood.com/

Earthborn http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/

Nutrisource-http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/

Guest jonesyvoor

I definitely concur with the sensitive stomach notion. I really have to be careful to keep Jersey on a routine and watch what she eats. I've had pretty good success with Natural Balance sweet potato and vension and more recently with Acana Ranchlands.

In my opinion what is more important is limiting the treats and other garbage he or she could consume. My dog has difficulty tolerating any treats so therefore her treat is usually a bone that she can just gnaw on or putting her kibble in a wobbler and letting her have that as a middle of the day snack. I've also found that putting a couple of tablespoons of pure pumpkin in her dinner a few times a week helps keep her stomach regular.

Don't be afraid to feed Iams Green bag (Proactive adult chunks). As with any change, switch gradually and you won't get the diarrhea and gas issues. Some greyhounds just can't take high protien greasy foods no matter how eco-wonderful they might be.

Guest ultraviolet79

I used to feed mine Taste of the Wild (Grain Free Salmon). They did really well on it, and was the brand my adoption group recommended. They are now fed raw, which is awesome for reducing poo volume, but it's more expensive to feed.

I have 2 currently on California Natural GF Venison and Potato. For a kibble I would classify it as upper mid grade. It does not have the high protein and fat percentages though of most of the premium foods. In fact it has lower protein and fat than Iams, which most people here rave about. A 30# bag runs about $65. This will last the average greyhound about a month. Also, CF has a promotion where after you buy 10 bags you get 1 free, which further brings the price down.

Yikes, my 48-pound bag of Iams cost $38.99 at Sam's! :lol

The question though is how long does this bag last you for 1 greyhound?

I am interested to know how long one bag of food lasts for 1 greyhound. I know it depends on the amount served, but just and estimate is fine with me.

For the record I would like to say that because of the extremely high temperatures that the majority of kibbles, whether high or low priced, are cooked at, are all crap. High temperatures produce chemicals called heterocyclic amines, which are extremely potent carcinogens. Orijen is one of the few brands that cooks their kibble at low temps. In addition starchy foods, like corn and yes potato,when cooked with oils produce another potent carcinogen acrylamide. Unfortunately homecooked, raw or the few commercially produced "safe" foods are not in the majority of most people's time or budget.

Guest greytone
I have never tried it, but it seems like a lot of people like the Kirkland Brand from Costco. If you are looking for quality ingredient list comparative to price, I think that is one of the best deals. It is just a matter of what your pup does well on (grey tummies can be sensitive!).

My grey has been in the Costco chicken and rice since 2009 and hasn't had any problems with it. When I got it the last time, which was October, it was $25 for a 40 pound bag. I also feed the Costco canned dog food too.

I really do like the Costco dog food. Its pretty cheap and its a good quality food. And Costco is pretty awesome too! Their products are of great quality and will take back anything!

Guest Celestrina

Angie has a chicken sensitivity so we have to be careful. Currently we feed her Acana Ranchlands. We can feed a lower volume than other foods, so lower volume and firmer poo.

When you are switching food don't try any new treats. That way if there is a reaction you'll know it was the food.

Rre there any recommendations for UK kibble food for greys? I have seen IAMS in the green bag at pet shops, but is it a good one to try or more of a last resort?

I have bought a small back of Burns lamb and Rice to start gradually switching over too. Any uk people got any suggestions though? Burns seems to be a quality food, but does it go down well with greys?

Peggy is on a track diet still so will have to switch very gradually.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I foster hounds and sometimes switch cold turkey without many problems. What I have found that works well with the majority of the hounds is either the pink bag of "Purina Pro Plan sensitive stomach salmon" for hounds. I also have had pretty good success with Costco's Natures Domain grain free turkey. Whatever you do, dont worry so much as the so-called quality, but rather the end result of the stool. You should wait for at least 2 weeks of being 100% on the new food to be able to judge how your pup does on the food. With my fosters, I usually see the results in 2 days. I suppliment my hound's diet with raw every few days (chicken 1/2 or turkey necks or venison, whatever I have available at any given time of year). Find what works with your hound, and stick with it.

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Are there any recommendations for UK kibble food for greys? I have seen IAMS in the green bag at pet shops, but is it a good one to try or more of a last resort?>>

Oh, you can do way, way, worse than Iams.... feed the standard working dog greyhound foods and double the amount passing through their gut and get messy teeth back again.

http://www.greyhoundsuperstore.co.uk/displayprods.asp?qid=127&qdbquery=searchprodbycat&qtitle=Food

At present I feed Gelert Country Choice (it's a similar recpipe to Iams)... it's for wroking dogs and VAT-free. See link

http://www.gelert-petnutrition.co.uk/prem-range.htm#adult

I'll feed Iams 2 or 3 times a year out of the 9 bags I'll buy in total; but my Peggy goes off Iams after a few weeks. She gets nice energy from Iams though.. definitely more playful as you might expect if the body doesn't need to work so hard at digestion.

I used to feed James Wellbeloved Lamb & Rice to my other dogs but it was too greasy for Peggy, their Turkey and rice was a little less big D making though. I tried Burns and Arden Grange and to be honest the results were no better than what I feed now... perhaps the poop is a little worse.

Bear in mind that own-brand foods at garden centres will almost be certainly be rebadged top names and are in all probability made in the same pet food factories.

It would be nice to feed something like Origen but the cost is prohibitive and it's not like I don't offer variety like opportunisticly buying chicken and other meats when they are just about out of date in the supermarkets. Only the other day I got some turkey steaks... we had two of them which we topped with Pesto, the dog had the other plain. Cooked on the same oven but lower and Peggy got hers - cut up and cooled safely - just after we sat down to eat. Sometimes she even gets pieces of Sirloin steak - not the fatty bits. Tin of sardines occasionally too and the odd egg like the one I broke carrying back home the other day.

Thanks johnf. I will bear in mind what you say. Might try iams green bag next if burns doesn't agree with her then and see how that goes. I think we will add some sardines and yoghurt too to make it yummy and stop the gas! Give your peggy a scritch from me :)