Turkey Necks

Guest andresmom

Guest andresmom

Hello All!

I have been a greyhound owner for almost a year now and have been following on the forum for a while. But today I decided to finally join up because I have a question that I need help with. Now that it is Thanksgiving we have a lot of excess turkey around our house. A lot of people on here have talked about turkey necks. Do you give them to your dogs cooked or raw? Do you just give them the bone? Do you let them have any other part of the bird? Raw or cooked? I am nervous to give him anything but dog food. His stomach is really sensitive. Thanks for any answers you guys have. Andre and I appreciate it!

Welcome to GT!! Happy Thanksgiving.

Never feed cooked bones to a pet due to the bone drying out and the risk of splintering. Make sure any carcass / bones in the garbage are not accessible by your pets.

Most dogs do fine on raw food and only figure it out once they try. There is no way to predict if they will do well or not, but chances are that everything will be fine.

On a turkey, we only feed the neck and or a small wing - but not much else on a large turkey. I find the bones just too big and they are harder for the dogs to digest.

I'd suggest you feed your hound the neck outside. The good thing about turkey necks is they are too big to swallow whole so the hound will get great exercise and teeth cleaning benefit by chewing. Good luck. Always raw bones - never cooked.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest FinnsMom

Welcome to the forum. Your houndie will be in doggie heaven when you give him that turkey neck. I buy the large ones and cut them in half and my guy gets a coupe a week. He loves them, and they clean his teeth too, which is an added bonus. :)

Please inform us afterwards to let us know how it went ;)

and one advise:

dont give the neck to your hound when your thanskiving guests are there.. people are sometime disgust to see this (or ear the sounds it makes when they eat raw necks) :lol::lol:

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Just give him the entire neck raw and let him enjoy it. Great for keeping teeth clean. I feed mine inside in their plastic floored kennel as some don't like it if grass/dirt gets on it! I feed sveral dogs at once too so everybody is always kenneled for meals. Easy cleanup- I jsut wipe with paper towel after a spray of Chlorox Clean Up.

Your pup will love to chow on a raw neck. Happy thanksgiving to him! :)

(I feed Bootsy turkey drumsticks fairly regularly. He loves them and breaks up the bones just fine. His poops are really crumbly after a leg - easy to pick up!)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

You may want to only give him half of the neck per day.

Killannie has a cast iron stomach but too much turkey neck tends to loosen her stool up for a day.

And the converse of this....give my Grace cooked poultry and she gets the runs instantly. Give her a raw turkey neck and her poops are firm as can be.

I hit the turkey neck jackpot tonight bout local market had probably close to 25 necks wrapped in the refrigerated section. I brought 9 home for the 3 pups. G+F are old pros at the turkey necks but this will be Jackson's first.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest andresmom

We went out in the yard today to give him his neck. As soon as he figured out that it was food and really started to naw on it a few neighbors decided to test out their handguns in the pasture behind our house (not our property) and the sound scared Andre. They continued shooting for about an hour and we all had to retreat to the basement because the noise was scaring Andre so bad that he was shaking. :( After our walk though he went to the same spot in the yard where the neck was and started licking the ground. I think we will try again tomorrow.

We fed our Hammer his first turkey neck this Thanksgiving and he loved it. We let him eat it inside because of the weather but I laid an old towel where he was laying and he stayed on it while he ate it- no mess. Went well with his stomach too :-)

Guest greygirls2

Many stores will order them for you. I get them in a 30 lb case since we are buying for 4 greys and now a boarder so I order two. We seperate them and re-wrap in sets of two per bag. I also cut them in half if they are large. I feed them frozen this way it takes them longer to chew. In bad weather I place a towel on their beds and they eat them there rather than outside. Dogs love them and they really do help keep the teeth clean. Hope your pup enjoys his!

Where do you get the necks? My local store doesn't have them.

Only place around here I have found is an Amish store. They only get them in when their source slaughters which is only 2-3x per year; rural area. The girls went nuts for their first neck- it was big so shared between two of my three in the yard. One of my girls has almost no teeth so it was too scary for me to give a raw turkey neck to her. She got extra special treats in the house instead.

I feed kibble but I occasionally will give turkey necks as a treat. I learned with Summit though to never feed them defrosted. The first one he had he didn't even chew, he just tried to swallow it down whole, gagging the whole time. There were no ill effects but it freaked me out. But if I feed them frozen he actually has to chew it, so that is how we do it now. I let them sit on the counter for about 10 minutes so they're not rock hard and then I give them to him. He loves them but I haven't really been able to find them here since we moved.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Also, meaty chicken thighs have pretty much the same chewing benefits as necks. I actually prefer them as they are a bit meatier and larger so they aren't so likely to be swallowed whole. Our grocery store here carries bags of them for about $5.