Neurectomy For Corns

Guest GreyKatie

I'll be honest, Dr. Kellogg is one of the best in the business for greyhounds in general, not to mention her "bedside" manner. If she says try a neurectomy and a conversation with Dr. Dyce, you are in the best of hands.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Check out this thread from GD. It is a few years old, but this Dr. in England seems to have a way of getting rid of corns. When this thread was going in 2009 you had to take your to him as he wasn't giving out his secret. I have no idea if dogs still have to go to him or if he has let his secret out to others.

Dick

Before going that route, I'd look for a vet who knows how to remove them (hull) and finish with laser. When Isaac had it done that way it lasted 9 months.

Same here -- hull, laser, 9 months. The corns that recurred 9 months later were tiny; hulled the new tiny ones once, and they never came back.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If you're interested, there's a group on Facebook for owners of greyhounds with corns, you should be able to find it here: https://www.facebook...139342646/. If that doesn't work, just go to Facebook and type in Greyhounds With Corns. It's an open group and it doesn't appear you need to join to read the posts. It appears many people have found success from a woman named Lori Rose in the UK who uses homeopathic remedies.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest GreyhoundVegan

We had the nerve severed on one of our hounds on November 9. She has severe corns in both her back paws and it has changed her whole demeanor over the last several years. We have seen many friends hounds have corns surgically removed and they come right back...plus the recovery seems pretty painful. Our vet suggested the procedure to my husband & I and we thought long and hard about it. We scheduled and canceled the procedure several times before finally "taking the plunge" after our vet administered a temporary nerve block and she was like her old pain-free self again. We did this because we have heard of so many other hounds suffering and we knew someone had to be the guinea-hound. It's no different than a bypass or a kidney transplant - someone had to be first.

Our vet went in and severed the nerve on each side of her back leg just above the paw. She nicked a vein in the process so some skin sloughed off due to lack of blood. We are dealing with wound care right now but she doesnt tremble when she stands anymore. We are still waiting for her full recovery before giving this 2 thumbs up, but I think we may have found a new option for these poor pups with multiple corns on multiple feet.

I will post more once she has fully recovered. Feel free to ask any questions I may not have answered.

Edited by GreyhoundVegan

We had the nerve severed on one of our hounds on November 9. She has severe corns in both her back paws and it has changed her whole demeanor over the last several years. We have seen many friends hounds have corns surgically removed and they come right back...plus the recovery seems pretty painful. Our vet suggested the procedure to my husband & I and we thought long and hard about it. We scheduled and canceled the procedure several times before finally "taking the plunge" after our vet administered a temporary nerve block and she was like her old pain-free self again. We did this because we have heard of so many other hounds suffering and we knew someone had to be the guinea-hound. It's no different than a bypass or a kidney transplant - someone had to be first.

Our vet went in and severed the nerve on each side of her back leg just above the paw. She nicked a vein in the process so some skin sloughed off due to lack of blood. We are dealing with wound care right now but she doesnt tremble when she stands anymore. We are still waiting for her full recovery before giving this 2 thumbs up, but I think we may have found a new option for these poor pups with multiple corns on multiple feet.

I will post more once she has fully recovered. Feel free to ask any questions I may not have answered.

So this affects the whole paw & not just a toe?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest GreyhoundVegan

It does not affect the entire foot. However, the nerves running to the individual toes were very difficult to isolate so she opted to just do the entire foot. I'm sure as this becomes increasingly popular, they will be able to isolate the nerve for the affected toe. We are still dealing with her wound but it is healing quickly. Her gait does not seem to be affected at all.

It does not affect the entire foot. However, the nerves running to the individual toes were very difficult to isolate so she opted to just do the entire foot. I'm sure as this becomes increasingly popular, they will be able to isolate the nerve for the affected toe. We are still dealing with her wound but it is healing quickly. Her gait does not seem to be affected at all.

Checking in on your hound. Is she healed and feeling better? Have you noticed any negatives or issues beyond those you'd expect with loss of feeling?

Hoping your girl found lasting relief and the tradeoff proves worth it for her. :grouphug

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929