Teaching Sit From A Down Position

I'm doing some clicker training with my boy, Star. I've taught him "down" - he caught on quickly and now does a down on command for all his meals and treats. Now I'm working on teaching him to sit. I've tried luring him into a sit by placing a treat above his head and gradually moving it back so that he moves into a sit position. He just doesn't get it, even when he's near a wall or corner. He just keeps backing up or stops and jumps up. So, I'm working on training him to sit from a down position. He's getting it after only a training session or two - I'm very proud of him.

So here's my question: Star's in a down position and I'm luring him up to a sitting position, clicking and treating as soon as he's sitting up. I haven't added the "sit" command yet - waiting a little bit longer until he's better at it. Once he sits reliably on command from a down position, how do I graduate him from doing a sit from a down position, to directly into a sit from a standing position?

Thanks for any advice.

Pat

I've never used a clicker, but I've taught two of mine to sit by starting with the "down" position. (Cash only learned it with a "tuck.") I can't say that I did anything in particular to get them to just a plain sit. Both of mine recognized the treat above the head cue once they were good at doing it from the down position.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

If you go to Leerburg.com they have a ton of free articles there on training; a ton of answered questions on many topics; and even a forum you can search for answers on. If you email Cindy your question you will even get an answer. They also have a free contest you can enter. Each week they give away a very nice-not cheap- item. Good luck!

just check the location of their tail. if it's not tucked to the side it acts like a kangaroo's tail and pushes them up=uncomfortable.i would keep your dog nibbeling on the treat as you lure him up, and even nibleing after he's in a sitting position and then bring him back to the down position.at class we call it doggie pushup. always train hungry and use BIG chunks of cheese.

once he masters the sit, and stay, stand stay then just start working on sit. all of it falls into place, but remember to check the tail position.

neversaynever greyhounds has really good demos on youtube and her blog about training.

Edited by cleptogrey

If you can get him used to the movement and motion of sitting, he'll start doing it without needing to be down first. Just make sure you are luring the treat backwards from his nose, forcing him to come up gradually into a sit. If you have to, walk into him with your foot between his front paws. A lot of people make the mistake of just raising the treat upwards, which gives the dog more room to fully stand up. Use a high-value treat, and click as soon as the sit takes place. In the beginning, I couldn't get Henry to sit for anything. I had to "tuck" him, as Valerie stated. Now he'll sit all day if there's treats to be had.

ETA- doggie pushups are good practice!

Edited by a_daerr

Some greys sit easier than others, but once they learn it they will transition to just a sit on command. They be pretty smart when theys got food around!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maidmarcia

I figure if Bobby doesn't want to sit naturally I wont make him do it but must say they do look cute in a sitting position

Exactly why I've never forced my boy into learning it. He's so skittery and wobbly already, like Bambi on ice.

Guest kkaiser104

I taught Teddi with a treat above his nose and a tuck of the butt. I never make him hold it, but he does do it on his own occasionally and will hold it for treats (especially at the vets office...they go crazy over him!)