Crating Older Greyhound

Guest heath1970

Guest heath1970

Hi Forum: my greyhound (Heathrow) is 11-years-old (almost 12 on 1 November) and hasn't been in his cage for almost three years primarily because since then I've worked from home and there hasn't been a need. However, for the past few months, he's been having more frequent "accidents" in the house when I'm away for 2-4-hour increments, and I'm thinking of putting him back in the cage for longer time periods. Trouble is, I worry he might be uncomfortable in it since it's been almost three years; yet, he's been cage at the kennel various times the past three years so perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. Any thoughts on caging an older greyhound who hasn't been caged in a few years at home?

Guest ladyhound

If it's not a medical issue like a UTI (I'd check for that if possible) I think it's possible he's just older and can't hold it for long. My senior who's going on 13 can't really go more than 3-4 hours sometimes, and I've noticed when my dogs have hit senior years (well, older seniors), maybe around 10 or older, they don't have those iron bladders anymore and just can't hold it for too long. If his only issue is not being able to hold it and he would probably be uncomfortable in a crate, would you think about pee pads and leaving him uncrated? They make them specially for boy dogs, and rather than crating my seniors I leave pee pads down for them when I have to be away for a few hours or more (I work from home too.)

I'm just thinking that if he can't hold it, and as an older boy he may not be able to, he would just end up peeing in his crate and being miserable. Just an idea! I hope it works out fine, good luck!

My Harold has to wear belly bands because he dribbles all day and will leak a full bladder of pee when he sleeps.

I order from nonudehounds.com Best for fit and comfort! I also put a large sanitary pad in it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

do you have a safe area outside to leave him. If I'm not home the dogs are outside but I have undercover shelter for my dogs so they are out of the rain and protected from the wind. I'd never leave dogs inside while I'm out. I don't like the idea of locking an animal in a crate.

after your vet checks the urine(uti/gravity/dipstick ect to see if something besides aging is going on) then start w/ positive things like feeding and treats in the crate and work your way into crating. have extra blankets(twin size fit into the washer easily and dry fast) since most likely you will be washing the bedding daily if it's not a uti, it can be difficult and time consuming dealing w/ an older hound. if the crate is made comfortable there shouldn't be any problems. i boarded a very elderly grey who wasn't crated in years, for saftey i always crate boarders, she was fine.

do you have a safe area outside to leave him. If I'm not home the dogs are outside but I have undercover shelter for my dogs so they are out of the rain and protected from the wind. I'd never leave dogs inside while I'm out. I don't like the idea of locking an animal in a crate.

We don't much leave our dogs outside in the US. Specially Greyhounds. Most adoption groups won't adopt to you if say you're going to. Of course the amusing exception to this is--Greyhound breeding farms!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

You could try giving him treats and his meals in the crate and see how he does but, honestly, at his age I would hesitate to crate him. A belly band or baby gating him into an area where it's easier to clean up after him might do the trick. We trained our boy to go on towels when we're not home since he sometimes can't hold it when he has to poop. You might want to do the same thing with puppy pads for your old boy.

My old boy Murphy couldn't hold it for more than a couple of hours. I put pee pads down and he learned to go (mostly) on them. Being a boy, sometimes the trail would extend beyond the pads, but I invested in a steam carpet cleaner :)

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

I agree, he should be checked for medical issues causing the frequent peeing. Even If he's simply incontinent from old age (and he's not really all that old), it would be sad if he had to lie in a crate he'd peed in. Our 14 1/2 y-o Zippy sometimes can't wait and pees in the house now, generally right by the front door. I got some washable, quilted waterproof pads like they use in nursing homes, etc from Walter Drake for around $10 and put those down where the accidents usually occur. This was super helpful when she had a UTI and we were waiting for the antibiotic to clear it up, too.

Edited by SusanP

11 isn't old. IMHO - I don't think this is age related incontinance. First thing, as others have said - have a full medical check-up.

If there are no medical issues - there is no reason for an 11 year old dog to not hold his bladder for 2-4 hours. I think you have a house-training issue.

Crating may be one answer. There may be others. If you've worked from home, the dog might just be used to being able to go out whenever he wants to. I'd suggest putting him on a schedule. Feed - outs - walks - on schedule.

My 13 year old grey slept all night, went out in the morning, stayed home 8 hours during our work, went out, went out whenever during the evening, and went to bed. He passed away from Cancer at 13, but he showed no signs of short bladder at that age.

I'd suggest you start alone training, and gate the dog in the kitchen when you're gone.

Every dog is different. I'd check for the medical stuff as suggested earlier. The belly bands are a wonderful option but I've used the Poise pads instead of kotex as they are designed to absorbe more quickly and in my experinece work better. I do agree that 11 isn't that old, but again that might be old for your boy depending on what his life was like or even genetics.

Good luck,

june