What Are The Symptoms?

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

What are the symptoms of allergies? Is it something that comes on all of a sudden or builds up over time? Bunny keeps licking his right front paw over and over again! :shakefinger

Allergies can start at any time. Andy's would act up in the fall when ragweed pollens are high. His paws would turn red and itch from walking in the grass. Food allergies can cause it too.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Food allergies can cause itchy feet, and also can cause redness and itchiness around the ears, head, stomach, etc. Environmental allergens are probably more common than food ones though and they can cause the same symptoms. Allergens, especially food, are often built up over time, so dogs that eat the exact same ingredients daily can all of a sudden develop an allergy to a food they had been fine on for years. This is why rotational feeding is more common nowadays.

If the allergies tend to come and go they are likely environmental...if the dog is fed the same food each day and goes for periods with no symptoms it likely isn't food. The only true way to find out would be to feed an elimination or hypoallergenic diet for a period of time and see if it changes anything.

Paw licking can be behavioural as well...once they start it becomes red and itchy and they keep doing it. :)

If he's only licking one foot, and it just started, I'd be inclined to think foreign body between the toes or in the pad.

Make sure you check it very carefully! It's highly improbable that ONE foot would itch from allegies.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Rusty had allergies that would flare about this time of the year. He would lick his paws to the point where the fur would be gone. The vet prescribed a spray for his itchiness. I could usually catch when the allergies would start and then spray his feet right away.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest Downtownhoundz

Well, we just got back from the vet and he had several cracked nails on his left front foot.They clipped them down and put him on antibiotics! She said this seems to be a greyhound thing with the nails?

my grey has been licking and licking a paw lately and I have put it down to being spring time. Used to have one dog that used to lick her paw so much she used to have bald patches, we never actually found out what the allergy was but after a few years it suddenly stopped.