First Dental As An Owner...

Guest BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

SO my little girl Tess has to go in for a dental on the 18th and they already said she will most likely need 1 extraction, Im freaking out!!!!

Supposedly the vet has been doing Grey's forever since the Taunton/Raynham Track..... :(

I know it's scary whenever they need an anesthetic, however, if the tooth hurts or is infected, her health with improve significantly once it's over. Focus on the positive and think about how much better she will feel because that's all you can control.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Absolutely, that goes without saying...you got em! :hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

The extraction is not a big deal.

Assuming she gets through the anesthesia just fine, you're mostly home free. She should already be on antibiotics--at least my vet starts them BEFORE the dental. If not, she darn sure better be when you pick her up!

It will most likely not bother her at all. I had a cat lose 16 teeth in one shot and he was eating his kibble the next morning.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I just brought Amy home from having a top molar extracted this morning that she fractured 2 weeks ago and she had a dental too. I would make sure that you have blood work done prior to the dental. It takes a day for her to get back to normal from the Anethesia. Amy is a bit whiny for a few hours when she comes home which is normal for her. She was sent home with antibiotics and Rimadyl if she needs it. Again, I really think that the pre dental blood work is important. Good luck :)

Edited by K9_Lady

I gave Amicar for a few days after the Lucy's extraction.

Dr Couto does recommend Amicar for hounds having extractions. One thing I will mention is many hounds do not do well with opiates--hopefully, your vet will perform an oral block (Novocain). I know you said your vet is familiar with ghs so, that's a huge help.

Another thing that helps is if they run IV fluids during the procedure.

I'm always terrified, too, but have never had a hound have a problem. And as posted above, your girl will feel so much better afterward. Our household has a tradition of going out for ice cream as soon as the afflicted one can tolerate it. Nothing like getting started on further tooth decay early! (Actually, I brush their teeth, and have never had to deal with extractions.)

If it would make you feel more confident, go over the anesthesia protocol with the vet (if you haven't already) so you'll know what's been given and what to expect.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter