Limping & Worried Mom

Guest FreeholdHound

Guest FreeholdHound

Yesterday Harry came in from a rainy pee break & lost his footing on the tile ( the only foot NOT on the rug set it off) he flailed around & went down. He seemed fine yesterday, napping as usual. I took him for our evening walk (trying to avoid the heat). He went back in his bed as usual but later when he got up for his pre bedtime outing he let out a loud yelp and got up limping. I walked him slowly around the room & it progressively got better and disappeared.

Today, all was well. Same routine as yesterday. And then the same yelp and limp when he got up tonight. He walked it off again as he did last night,even went outside and walked around. I can touch/ massage all parts of the leg, foot and back with no reaction and no pulling away.

If he's fine all day then I'm assuming the walk (40 min w/ slight hills) is the aggravating factor even though he seemed fine.

A friend suggested I give him aspirin & see if that helps. I have never given a dog an aspirin in my life. Is this safe? What kind? How many? I am clueless. My thought was to omit the walk tomorrow and let the leg rest. Any advice for this newbie would be greatly appreciated. A sleepless night on the couch near him is in my future tonight :(

If the limping gets better as he walks on it then he may just be sore. I'd give him a day or two. If it improves with each day after this then good. If it doesn't improve I'd be off to the vet. If it gets worse I'd be off soonest.

Hope Harry feels better tomorrow.

Guest FreeholdHound

Thank you. I know I'm being a nervous Mom, but the yelp hurts to her. I'll let me rest it (not that he's upright most of the time). We will keep an eagle eye on him tomorrow.

Jonelle often does things like this when she is out doing her "circus stunts" in the yard. When I see her favoring a leg, I usually lay off the walks for a day or two as I have noticed that tends to aggravate it. My vet gave me an anti-inflammatory to keep on hand (Deramaxx) and Tramadol for pain. I use these as needed. She is a master squirrel hunter/chaser/killer and frequently overdoes it flying around the yard.

I have given buffered aspirin before. The problem is it doesn't stay in their system very long so it won't buy much relief. I would see how things are in the a.m. If there is any yelping I would get to the vet for some meds. Either way, I would skip the walk for at least tomorrow. Hope this helps.

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

No expert here, but I've had plenty of spills myself, and know that the day(s) after a fall are definitely worse than immediately following the event. Lying in a single position can aggravate things by letting things 'stiffen up' ... so everything you've described seems consistent.

At this point, a bit of light massage may help (both of you), and watch for worsening symptoms. And of course, you could always give a cookie, since cookies always seem to make things better.

Keep us informed.

I'd skip the aspirin. If things should get worse, the aspirin would have to clear his system before he could start other pain relievers, and the wash-out period for aspirin can be days. If the limp is bad enough tomorrow that you think he needs meds, you can get something more appropriate from his vet.

ETA: If you have given him meds, just make sure his vet knows what you gave before you give Harry something else.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I agree with taking it easy on the walks for a few days. He might just be sore from the fall, or he may have pulled or strained something. Let him rest to give it a chance to heal.

I wouldn't recommend aspirin as it can be very rough on their stomach and cause ulcers. And if he gets worse and needs to go to the vet, aspirin will limit your options for stronger pain meds or anti-inflammatories. Aspirin actually stays in their system for a long time and can interact with other meds. So if a dog has been given aspirin, it is safest to wait at least 5-7 days for it to be completely out of their system before starting a prescription NSAID or steroid.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest FreeholdHound

I didn't like the idea of the aspirin either so I ignored that advice. I spent the night near him on the couch & he had a quiet night ( except for his usual dreams & snoring).

He was walking fine this morning but didn't eat breakfast ( not uncommon for him - he doesn't appreciate a. 5 am breakfast sometimes and will usually eat it a bit later)

He'll be watched like a hawk all day and I'll eliminate our walk later & hope that helps. He did seem to enjoy the massages I've done on the leg & an extra Scooby Snack ( as we call them) will be given no doubt.

Thank you again for all the great advice - calmed my frazzled nerves

'Traumeel' is an excellent natural anti-inflamatory....recommended by our Vet.

http://traumeel.us/

It comes in a gel or tablets.

I always keep it on hand, and have had excellent results on both dogs and horses.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest FreeholdHound

I will look that up when I get home. Having owned a horse in my teens I do find myself referencing those days with Harry the Pony. I've also debated giving him glucosamine (but that's another topic page) :)

'Traumeel' is an excellent natural anti-inflamatory....recommended by our Vet.

http://traumeel.us/

It comes in a gel or tablets.

I always keep it on hand, and have had excellent results on both dogs and horses.

It also comes in liquid form- only need to give them 10 drops of the liquid. It is very good. I have used it myself and was surprised how effective it was.

Guest FreeholdHound

**update** Harry is eating, drinking, and answering Mother Nature's call normally. He's walking around but still seems soe and a bit stiff if he's just up from one of his many naps. One yelp today after getting up from a long snooze on the "bad side". Just letting him take it easy. I did order some Traumeel - hopefully it will be here Saturday.

Glad he is showing some improvement!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest FreeholdHound

Me again... Since my update Harry has been great. No limping, or yelping. He's back to cockroaching and trotting around even playing with his toys again. He's eating drinking and going out normally. He wanted to go out for a walk so badly I broke down and took him for a stroll yesterday (nothing too strenuous). So I figured we're in the clear.

But... you know there had to be one of those or I wouldn't be posting right? The last 2 nights he's barked to go out in the middle of the night (he hasn't done that in months). He settled back into bed after going outside and 2 hrs later - a yelp. My heart sank. He got up with no limping this time but seemed restless and took a while to settle back in.

He is also shaking his head (like water in the ear doggie shake) and scratching his left one. He did have a yeast infection just beginning in that ear a month ago and I took him to the Vet who gave me drops & he's been fine since.

I am now watching the sunrise and Harry (who is sleeping peacefully). I had very little sleep due to the yelp and worry & probably sound like a blathering idiot - I apologize. Of course it is Sunday and the Vet is closed, since he's not limping I feel a little better but will be calling for an appt Monday morning. I don't want to seem like psycho dog mom but I am going away next Thursday for the weekend and boarding Harry. I know I wil not get a moments peace if I don't get him checked out.

With all of this said (sorry for the lengthy tale of woe) I received the Traumeel but didn't give it to him because he was doing so well- should I give him some today? Will it interfere with anything that the Dr may do if I can get him in tomorrow?

Coffee's ready, sun starting to come up, hopefully things will look better to me when I get it together.

Guest FreeholdHound

Hi neighbor! Harry seems ok except for occasional head shaking. I on the other hand couldn't make up for lost sleep. Lots of errands to run today so I will just have to suck it up. I still plan on calling the vet tomorrow and bring him in for a look over so I can rest easy.