Heart Failure

Guest saltwaterron

Guest saltwaterron

this month will be 15 months since riley was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. left ventricle in heart not pumping blood as it should. all i have read seems to say 2 years is the lifespan for dogs with this diagnosis. has anyone else dealt with this who can give me any thoughts as to what to look for. i guess the length of time that has passed is making me wonder when i might start to see major changes.

Don't have the answer.....but wish you well.

Can tell you that EZ has a heart murmer from a leaky valve and he was diagnosed about two or three years ago.....

I know it's a different issue, but hopefully you will similar luck....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Sugar had a leaky valve that eventually (2 yrs? later) caused some heart enlargement. She was on a variety of heart meds, and once we got that sorted, you really couldn't tell anything was wrong except she didn't have a lot of energy. I lost her at 12 1/2, to kidney failure, about 3 1/2 yrs after diagnosis.

:bighug

Guest saltwaterron

vet keeps telling me to knock on wood. her condition could change overnight. for the last week to 10 days, she has shown no interest in eating when she gets up in the morning. it will be 3 or 4 in the afternoon before she shows an interest. got me puzzled. don't know if that is part of her condition or not. this is quite the opposite as she has been ready to eat when mealtime rolled around

Not exactly your situation, but I lost a weimaraner to congestive heart failure secondary to hemangiosarcoma (tumor in her heart) in 2005. She was diagnosed with a murmer as a young dog and was asymptomatic until the tumor grew to a size that interfered with her already compromised heart. She was very lethargic and breathed heavily with minimal exertion the last month of her life. We stayed ahead of the fluid retention for a while with diuretics, but she finally got so weak she labored to breath while trying to eat. She wanted to eat, but just didn't have the strength. I knew that day that it was time.

I'm sorry you're going through this. :grouphug

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

ok....this hurts

We are all here for you.....So many of us know how horrible it is when they are not well....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

ok....this hurts

We are all here for you.....So many of us know how horrible it is when they are not well....

Oh yes, we all worry and it's tuff. Hopefully, this is just a passing tummy bug. My girl was off her food last week-Prilosec did wonders for her :-)

Guest saltwaterron

yesterday, riley ate 2 big meals. this morning she was ready to eat again. i am greatly relieved. hopefully, it was a bug or the weather or something in her personality that was the cause of my concern. thanks for all the encouraging words

• 2 months later...
Guest WhiteWave

Sorry to hear about Riley. I was pretty familiar with DCM in Dobermans, but not in Greyhound until Riddick. In Dobes (and I guess Greyhounds/other breeds) there are 2 forms. One is basically slow kill and then sudden death. I experienced the sudden death with Riddick. He was 10 months old and was running across the yard and dropped dead. Left ventricle was not pumping any blood and right ventricle was 2 inches enlarged according to necropsy. His brother (different litter, but full sibling) died at 18 months the same way about a month after Riddick. Running across the yard and dropped dead right infront of his owners. I was lucky enough not to see it, but only find Riddick a few minutes later. Neither dog ever showed any signs/symptoms prior to dying.

Some links I had on DCM:

http://www.2ndchance.info/dogdilcardiomyopathy.htm

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/cardiovascular/c_dg_cardiomyopathy_dilated

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/portals/0/media/Dilated%20Cardiomyopathy.pdf