Eliminating In House And In The Street

Guest RoxyRed21

Guest RoxyRed21

I just adopted my greyhound Roxy about 3 weeks ago. We love her and she is a wonderful dog, couldn't ask for one sweeter or better natured. However I am having a problem with her that I can't seem to figure out, but first let me give you a little background info on our daily routine.

- We get up @ 6 to go out and take care of business, which usually involves a light walk (2 to 3 blocks).

- Next I bring her back in and go to bed while she lays down on her bed (she is not crated at night), until 8 when I get up and feed her.

- MWF I leave for class @ 9:30 and tues, thurs I leave @ 10:30. Before I leave I always take her out 15 min b4 I leave and right before I leave

- I come home around 12 or 1 to let her out and I usually spend some time with her.

-The rest of the day varies a little from day to day because of night classes, but she is always let out about 5 or 5:30ish to do her business.

- I take her for a walk at night (usually at least a mile) and then take her out again before we go to bed (10 or 11ish).

My problem is that she will eliminate in the floor even after I have taken her out. This morning is a good example, she wakes me up @ 6 to go out by walking in my room. We went out and walked a block or so (it was raining so we didn't go far), and she urinated in our yard on the way back. She had plenty of opportunities to poop and I took her to the place that she usually likes to go, but nothing. She also wasn't smelling things like she usually does when she needs to go poop. Anyway, we get back to the house and I tell her how good she is and love on her a little (as usual) then went to lay down. Not even 5 minutes after I laid down I heard her paws on the floor so I got up and saw where she had pooped on the floor. I just don't understand what I am doing wrong, because a similar thing happened the night before. My mom helps me when I am in class, so she took Roxy out 3 times in which she never eliminated, yet pooped in her crate right before I got home (about 15 minutes after mom had last taken her out). I don't know what to do.....

One other thing is that she has a tendency to just stop in the middle of the street while we are on a walk and poop. I'm not sure if the two are related, but any help you could give me would be great because we love the dog, we just need to get this taken care of.

Thanks,

Nick

Mostly - she's new and doesn't know what is expected of her yet. She is not used to pooping on command, and may not yet be used to going on leash. So what she's doing is just going when she has to.

When she goes during the walk - give her lots of praise, maybe even a treat so she knows that's what expected of her. If she is somewhere that you don't want her to go, lead her to the grass or an area where it's ok to go when you see the signs you mention.

The bottom line is to establish a routine and stick with it, and give her time to learn the routine and adjust to a whole new life.

Others will chime in here with some other suggestions that have worked for them. Good luck, and congratulations on your new girl.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

You might also need to walk her further in the morning. One of mine needs a nice brisk walk for 15 - 20 minutes before things start moving. Given you're up at 6 anyhow, is there any reason that you don't just stay up and take her out for 45 minutes or so for a longer walk in the morning? She might empty out completely then (mine usually take 2 - 3 poops and some marking before I know they're empty) and you might eliminate the problem.

Guest team_tonio

I second taking her for a longer walks. I find my boy likes to poo half way thru our morning 1.5 mile walk almost like clockwork. That's the routine he established and one we keep! If I just bring him around the block he won't go. Follow her cue and take her out longer. Also.. I've had my boy for over two months and he has never pooed in the yard! He needs a good walk to get him going. That could be why Roxy doesn't go for your mom.

I have finally gotten him to do one last pee in the yard before bedtime by taking him to the same spot in the yard every night and saying 'go potty' and rewarding him with 'good boy!' and pets for going. Sometimes he goes a lot, sometimes just a little but it really is all about the routine!

Good luck to you and Roxy! :)

Guest karilynn

My boy used to take his sweet time outside, sometimes not pooping at all. He never pooped inside, but he would hold his poop in for far too long, which CANNOT be healthy. I solved this problem real fast by going back inside after he pooped and immediately giving him a milkbone. If we went out and he didn't poop, no milkbone. He picked up REAL fast that if he went out and pooped, he got a treat when we got inside. Now he does his business within a minute of being outside and it's back in for us, milkbone awaiting. This is only a quick before bed or first thing in the morning thing, though. We take a long walk before I go to work, but he only pees on that walk.

Good luck to you!

While Tracker unloads within a minute or two when we start our morning walk, there always will be two more poops, but they may take longer. Usually the second happens ca 5 minutes after the first, and the third can take a good 20 minutes more. We walk 1.5 to 2 miles almost every day in the morning alone (between 30-45 minutes).

karilynn's suggestion sounds like a good one.

Guest RoxyRed21

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I'm definitely going to walk her further in the morning, I think that will help a lot. The reason why I don't stay up after I take her out is because I am usually up late working on stuff for class and I'm exhausted in the morning. I think that's one thing I'm just going to have to get used too, If she needs he walk than that's what she'll get. As far as going in the street, she doesn't give me any warning that she is going to do it and once she starts she won't move, so there is no getting her to grass :arpr . I really like Karilynn's suggestion about the milk bone, Roxy loves them and I'm sure that would be a big motivator.

She is starting to feel more comfortable with us and the house, I'm hoping that once we get used to the routine all will be ok. Is there any way to stop her from going in the house? She will usually tell me when she needs to go out by walking to the back door and waiting for me, but she didn't today. She just walk'd to the door and immediately started to eliminate. Me saying "no" loudly and clapping my hands did not make a difference. I would never hit her and I don't want to raise my voice too much because I don't want her to be afraid of me. Im just trying to figure out how to communicate to her that, that is not ok.

Hopefully if she doesn't need to go and she's on a routine, she won't go in the house. But I'd have her collared and if she starts, say no, take her outside and praise when she does. I'm guessing you've already checked for UTIs already? Basic housebreaking 101 needs to be implemented.

As for the tiredness, I'm not a morning person but I'm up every morning between 6 and 7 and walking 1 to 1.5 hours with my girls. I've become better and working in the morning and my day seems more productive. Good luck!

Why are you in the street ? and, if you are going to bag the poo what difference does it make if she is on grass or not.

I could see a problem if she started to poop as you were crossing a busy intersection...

Hollering or clapping may make her 'hold' poop until she is back in the house.

Praise her a lot when she does have a poop outside.. then on your walk encourage ' go poop, go poop !!'

I had one grey that need that 5 mins extra exercise to work himself and his colon up to poo mode.

My boy used to take his sweet time outside, sometimes not pooping at all. He never pooped inside, but he would hold his poop in for far too long, which CANNOT be healthy. I solved this problem real fast by going back inside after he pooped and immediately giving him a milkbone. If we went out and he didn't poop, no milkbone. He picked up REAL fast that if he went out and pooped, he got a treat when we got inside. Now he does his business within a minute of being outside and it's back in for us, milkbone awaiting. This is only a quick before bed or first thing in the morning thing, though. We take a long walk before I go to work, but he only pees on that walk.

Good luck to you!

That's actually a really good way to teach a dog to hold it. A dog who enjoys walking who knows that as soon as he poops he's going to be taken home will not go until he absolutely cannot hold it. If you want to reward him for pooping, bring the biscuit with you, and give it to him when he goes!

As to the original poster, doesn't sound like your dog is getting much exercise at all. A block here, a block there. 15 minute walks. Unless your dog is elderly, that's just not enough exercise for a newly adopted dog.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

There are some things I'd try.

First, as others suggested, throw a party for her every time she goes potty outside - pets, treats, happy talk, dancing (yes, I've been seen doing all these things in celebration of a reluctant foster's outdoor poop!... yes, all my neighbors think I'm crazy, and yes, I do this in the middle of downtown Chicago)

Second, don't give her the chance to fail. By now, you probably know when she needs to poop, so don't quit walking until she's done her business (and make sure she gets her party when she does!)

As for pooping in the middle of the street, you could try a couple things that in combination, might help. Part 1: teach her to stop and wait before crossing any street. (make sure she gets a cookie for this). This is also a good habit to develop, anyway; if she ever manages to get loose, having her wait at a corner out of habit could be a lifesaver. Part 2: After you've waited at the intersection, teach her a "Cross" command. Happily shout "Cross, Cross, Cross!!" as you RUN her across the street, making a party of this as well. (and of course, another cookie as a reward).

You can probably see that my theory is to turn all good behavior into a party and happy occasion. That along with the phrase "set your dog up to succeed" (might have been from Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies) are my two main tools for helping a dog settle in.

I should mention that I realize some of these things may take a lot of extra time at first, you may need to get up earlier or rearrange your schedule for a while, but if you are consistent, it shouldn't take more than a week or so for her to catch on.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest RoxyRed21

Today was a good day, last night we walked a mile and a half and today another 1.5-2 miles. I think that might have been my problem, because she eliminates 3 times on each walk, so that's great! The day is still fairly young, but we haven't had any accidents today and I don't think we will. Its a little early to say, but I think the advice given might have solved the problem.

We are in the street because I live in a residential area on a golf course. There are plenty of places for her to eliminate in grass were it wouldn't matter (such as empty fields that have been freshly mowed). It really doesn't matter tho, I love her and we'll figure it out.

There are some things I'd try.

First, as others suggested, throw a party for her every time she goes potty outside - pets, treats, happy talk, dancing (yes, I've been seen doing all these things in celebration of a reluctant foster's outdoor poop!... yes, all my neighbors think I'm crazy, and yes, I do this in the middle of downtown Chicago)

Second, don't give her the chance to fail. By now, you probably know when she needs to poop, so don't quit walking until she's done her business (and make sure she gets her party when she does!)

As for pooping in the middle of the street, you could try a couple things that in combination, might help. Part 1: teach her to stop and wait before crossing any street. (make sure she gets a cookie for this). This is also a good habit to develop, anyway; if she ever manages to get loose, having her wait at a corner out of habit could be a lifesaver. Part 2: After you've waited at the intersection, teach her a "Cross" command. Happily shout "Cross, Cross, Cross!!" as you RUN her across the street, making a party of this as well. (and of course, another cookie as a reward).

You can probably see that my theory is to turn all good behavior into a party and happy occasion. That along with the phrase "set your dog up to succeed" (might have been from Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies) are my two main tools for helping a dog settle in.

I should mention that I realize some of these things may take a lot of extra time at first, you may need to get up earlier or rearrange your schedule for a while, but if you are consistent, it shouldn't take more than a week or so for her to catch on.

Thanks for the advice, I'm trying the party thing and she seems to be responding well to it. She isn't much into the treats as a reward, but she seems to really like for me to scratch her and love on her while talking to her. She looks up at me with those big brown eyes and I can't help but love her :)

Guest karilynn

Well, my routine works for me. I don't live in the greatest area so I don't like walking around outside at night waiting for him to poop. He doesn't have to hold anything for long, he's out often enough.

OP, Glad things are going better!

Guest RoxyRed21

Thanks so much for all the advice, I think we have it all worked out. We are walking several miles now, she is doing great and so far no accidents. She is a sweetheart and we are very lucky to have her. I think we are going to start going to the baseball field a couple times a week so she can run. I enjoy watching her, and she loves running the length of that field. Again, thanks for everything.

We just got back from our second walk for the day, she came home and fell right on her bed (lazy girl). I think it's nap time for her.

It's still early, but I'm glad you're having some good results. Go Roxy!

FWIW I think most of the times something has gone wrong with my dogs, it's because of something Im doing or not doing. It's usually been a case of working backwards from what I've done differently. Or checking to see if there's a medical reason for the change. But this sounds like a relatively simple fix. Hurrah!

Guest RoxyRed21

It's still early, but I'm glad you're having some good results. Go Roxy!

FWIW I think most of the times something has gone wrong with my dogs, it's because of something Im doing or not doing. It's usually been a case of working backwards from what I've done differently. Or checking to see if there's a medical reason for the change. But this sounds like a relatively simple fix. Hurrah!

I think the same way, she had been checked out by the vet and had all of her shots so I knew she was healthy. So I was looking at myself trying to figure out what I was or wasn't doing that I should. She is my first dog, so all this is very new to me and I was doing my best but coming up short. Fortunately things are working out wonderfully and we are both happy with each other. She has figured out that if she lets me sleep later than we'll go on a longer walk if she wants (she tells me how far to walk). Funny thing is that I'm supposed to be training her to do what I want, but instead she is training me to do what she wants :colgate

I'm not a dog person, I actually don't like dogs all that much. However I will say that I am a greyhound person, I like every grey that I've been around.

I'm glad that walking her more has worked! I understand your chagrin about pooping in the street - Monty did that on the sidewalks (ewwww) when we first got him. Even though I picked up, his stools were soft and I'd need a bucket of water and scrub brush to get it all clean enough for me. He'd even potty in the middle of the street too. That was before I was able to pick up the very subtle clues that there was "apoopacomin'" and make sure to place him where I needed it to fall. Wintertime is still a problem because he hates to step in snow (even an inch will get him stopping at the very edge of the grass and squatting over the sidewalk). So I catch.

Funny thing is that I'm supposed to be training her to do what I want, but instead she is training me to do what she wants :colgate

Some people might say that she's manipulating you, but I think mutual cooperation and respect are the keys to a wonderful relationship. Having a dog shouldn't just be about getting the dog to do what you want, but also learning to understand the dog and figure out what she wants and needs to be happy too. :)

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest RoxyRed21

I'm glad that walking her more has worked! I understand your chagrin about pooping in the street - Monty did that on the sidewalks (ewwww) when we first got him. Even though I picked up, his stools were soft and I'd need a bucket of water and scrub brush to get it all clean enough for me. He'd even potty in the middle of the street too. That was before I was able to pick up the very subtle clues that there was "apoopacomin'" and make sure to place him where I needed it to fall. Wintertime is still a problem because he hates to step in snow (even an inch will get him stopping at the very edge of the grass and squatting over the sidewalk). So I catch.

Fortunately she has quit the street pooping, which is fantastic because I was having to go back there after our walk with a shovel :unsure She has a certain way that she smells when she is getting ready to drop one. It is a different way of smelling than when she wants to pee. I'm just glad that both are now on the grass. Idk why but she pee'd inside today, I walked upstairs and when I came down there was a puddle in the floor. She usually doesn't do that, and she didn't tell me that she needed to go out, so idk what that was about.

Funny thing is that I'm supposed to be training her to do what I want, but instead she is training me to do what she wants :colgate

Some people might say that she's manipulating you, but I think mutual cooperation and respect are the keys to a wonderful relationship. Having a dog shouldn't just be about getting the dog to do what you want, but also learning to understand the dog and figure out what she wants and needs to be happy too. :)

Yeah I think it's kinda like any other relationship, there has to be some give and take. We are both still trying to figure each other out, its a long process but we are making good progress and both seem to be happy. I can't wait till she comes out of her shell and starts to be more playful.