Masticatory Muscle Myositis

Guest kick

3 yr old grey in pain when opening her mouth wide to yawn or pickup a ball, etc. Just back from vets doing blood work. Vet is thinking it is masticatory muscle myosotis. Not seeing much on the forum about this disease.

Anyone ?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'd get dental x-rays before proceeding with anything else.

Best luck to you!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Update: test not conclusive for MMM. Very low thyroid level (even for greyhound). One kidney value elevated. Waiting to get results emailed to me.

Edited by kick

The bun is very very slightly elevated --normal creatinine and hemoglobin for a gh. Check the first morning urine specific gravity-- ideally it should be above 1.030.

Edited to add-the T4 might be being suppressed because of illness (euthyroid ill). Please do not supplement without running a flll thyroid panel-at least a FT4 and a cTSH.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest sixyears

Our mix was diagnosed with mm when he was 7 years old. This was six years ago. it was heart breaking at first. He was diagnosed late in the progression of the illness. He went through about 6 months of prednisone which was really hard on him with little impact on the mm. We took him off because his quality of life became so poor. His mm did get a little worse. Over the last 6 years there has thankfully been little change. His mouth opens about a quarter of an inch. We wet his dry food and add canned food for the calories. He mushes this into his mouth with pressure. He did break a front tooth about 4 years ago in the mushing process. It had to be removed. We only offer him his food in plastic dishes placed on a soft surface like carpet now. It does get a little messy. We have 2 other dogs. He plays and rassles with them as though he had no disabilities. He is still the Alpha. At 13 years of age, we are pretty careful with him... he plays in the backyard, lays around the house a lot. We always make sure he has plenty of clean water and give him lots of small treats. Calorie intake, breathing, and overheating are our biggest concerns. He did develop an infection in his back teeth this last week. Antibiotics took the swelling right down. Surgery is not an option due to the inability to place a breathing tube during surgery. We will be contacting UC Davis vet center to see if there is anything else we can do to keep the infection from causing something worse to happen. I'm happy to share more. When our dog was diagnosed it was so great to get even just a little insight. This is a disease with a long journey. Please ask if you have any questions.

Appreciate all comments.

Gracie picked up her ball today and chewed it slightly. Big improvement. I think the vet wants us to continue prednisone for 1 week. I will pursue getting her teeth checked again. It was difficult because she was in pain. Gracie continues to let me brush her teeth (2x per day).

Guest Fasave

Same thing happened to my pup at 4. Turned out to be an infection way in the back of the mouth and causing an abscess behind the eye. I think it was called a retrobulbar abscess. Might be something to check.

Guest DiforDan

Our Slinky seems to have the chronic form of this, but thankfully he has no troublesome or painful symptoms. His muscles on the top of his head are all caved in, and this has progressed and got worse from the age of about 5 to 8. He is now 9 and (touch wood) can still open his mouth, eat, yawn, and everything. We have never seen him go through an acute stage with swelling or pain (Thank God), it's just the muscles on the top of his head have atrophied. Every day we hope it stays as it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update:

Today ends the 6th week on prednisone

Last night-trip to evet facial/head swelling - worsening. Painful to touch. This after a day trip to vet for sudden swelling noticed night before. Vet drew blood to check white cells-sent out to lab. Had us up the pred dose slightly, gave us pain meds.

E Vet=sedation, checking for abscess in mouth, pain meds. They will call as soon as they have info.

E Vet called us at 130am last night - found an abscess behind top teeth which has ballooned. She was full of pus. Pendisone reduced inflammation but infection festered.

Misdiagnosis of MMM. We are elated.

She should be home this evening. :)

I love our country vet but this case was out of their league. I don't want to point fingers etc. it would fall on me anyways as the pup's Mom.

This is more of a testament to the value of this forum.

Thanks to all who replied to my post.

I'm glad they finally found it. I'm curious, on Aug 24 did you have x-rays done? Did your vet refuse to look into the possibility of an abcess? Also, how long was she on prednisone? Just really curious.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

No X-rays - vet expected any infection to manifest quickly once on Perndisone. This did happen but took much longer than expected.

Vet did not dismiss anything, very open to / wanted our opinions findings from any research we did. They felt we were on the right txt path.

Just a few min ago they called and said results of blood work showed white blood cells =normal. Then E Vet called said same but that there were other indicators and the prednisone does mask results.

Prednisone was very low 20mg she weighs less than 60 lbs

3 wks at 40 mg

3 wks at 20 mg (one day shy)

Happy she is improving and gobbling her food at the E Vets. Even with all the oral probing they did.

Education for all involved. Keeping it positive.

I'm so glad your little girl is getting better. TRULY a testament to this forum. When we're stumped, and not so sure that our vet isn't stumped as well......

somebody here has been there, done that. Gotta love the folks here who freely give of their experiences and advice.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.